Worth the miles, J award on TP?

Old Jun 4, 19, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Worth the miles, J award on TP?

Lot of J saver availability next April and May for SFO-LIS nonstop

I guess this is suppose to be their new biz class seats on the A339?

Reviews say the seat is fine but the catering isn't up to snuff.

Round trip fare is about $2800 and on some days, it's 60k instead of 70k miles.

So in comparison to fares costing over $4k, maybe the 70k miles aren't as good a value?

But of course, if one is going to visit Portugal, would she fly through another hub just for a better J product than flying the nonstop TATL to LIS?

Last edited by wco81; Jun 4, 19 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

But of course, if one is going to visit Portugal, would she fly through another hub just for a better J product than flying the nonstop TPAC to LIS?
If you're going TPAC from SFO to LIS that'd be quite a detour :-)
Syzygies likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:10 pm

Lot of J saver availability next April and May for SFO-LIS nonstop

I guess this is suppose to be their new biz class seats on the A339?

Reviews say the seat is fine but the catering isn't up to snuff.

Round trip fare is about $2800 and on some days, it's 60k instead of 70k miles.

So in comparison to fares costing over $4k, maybe the 70k miles aren't as good a value?

But of course, if one is going to visit Portugal, would she fly through another hub just for a better J product than flying the nonstop TATL to LIS?
Any nonstop flight on a widebody with flatbed seats is better than making a connection. Sure, there may be some oddball situation where that might not be true but it's hard to think of one.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As long as you don't get the shrimp entree (never not mushy in my experience) the food on TAP in business is quite good in my opinion at least catered from LIS or OPO. I took the inaugural LIS-ORD flight on Saturday and had a super tasty black pork dish, with sort of crispy bits and all with sweet potato and asparagus. Appetizer was poached pears with smoked ham and truffled egg yolk. dessert was fruit, ice cream, or an amazing cured sheep milk cheese with marmalade. Great selections of Portuguese wines and booze. It's quite a good onboard product these days if you get the new seat.
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jsl42 View Post
As long as you don't get the shrimp entree (never not mushy in my experience) the food on TAP in business is quite good in my opinion at least catered from LIS or OPO. I took the inaugural LIS-ORD flight on Saturday and had a super tasty black pork dish, with sort of crispy bits and all with sweet potato and asparagus. Appetizer was poached pears with smoked ham and truffled egg yolk. dessert was fruit, ice cream, or an amazing cured sheep milk cheese with marmalade. Great selections of Portuguese wines and booze. It's quite a good onboard product these days if you get the new seat.
can you share more about the inaugural. Any special events to mark the occasion?
Old Jun 5, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
any time you can get non-stop saver J awards in lie-flat seats, you should jump on it, without question.

(especially west coast -> Europe.) If you are that concerned about the food, eat a nice meal prior to the flight.
moondog, JimInOhio and Santander like this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
worth it
Old Jun 5, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
So these TAP nonstops are only certain days of the week (ExpertFlyer confirms their availability year-round), and I can get nonstop award seats to show up, but I can't get a nonstop to show up for purchase. That "016 ticket stock" requirement for elite qualification, this is a no-go if I can't buy through United. Any idea what's going on?

Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
any time you can get non-stop saver J awards in lie-flat seats, you should jump on it, without question.
Now that the Polaris conversion is complete. Anyone remember the old 2-4-2 configuration 777? Worst business class flights of my life.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Syzygies View Post
Now that the Polaris conversion is complete. Anyone remember the old 2-4-2 configuration 777? Worst business class flights of my life.
I don't think that all pmUA 772's have been Polarized. That said, a window on one of those against a connection on LH, I would go with UA, yes. It happens.

To the OP: I would grab the award just to try the A330-900neo, and for the direct flight West Coast to LIS. The arrival time (11:20am) is nice. If the price stays at $2800 rtn, and you need the PQM's, I would personally consider that too.
Old Jun 5, 19, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So these TAP nonstops are only certain days of the week (ExpertFlyer confirms their availability year-round), and I can get nonstop award seats to show up, but I can't get a nonstop to show up for purchase. That "016 ticket stock" requirement for elite qualification, this is a no-go if I can't buy through United. Any idea what's going on?
Yes. United isn't particularly interested in selling tickets on other airlines, so they don't display all possible inventory, especially in a situation where there's not even a JV (e.g., they make very little money from the sale). This is yet another reason I think UA needs to drop the 016 requirement, but it also speaks to why it exists in the first place.

I don't like the UA 2-4-2 config (which does still exist, and isn't going away entirely), but it's better for sleeping than SQ's A359.
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
can you share more about the inaugural. Any special events to mark the occasion?
I recall you were looking for info about TAP inaugurals in a different forum a while back.

At LIS there was a reception at the departure gate with cake, juice, bilingual remarks by someone from the airport as well as the chair of the board of the airline, and a ribbon cutting. Passengers received a commemorative TAP Chicago-themed luggage tag at boarding and executive class passengers received an additional gift of Castelbel soap. The board chair, some executives, and a social media employee traveled to Chicago—as a result the crew was more attractive and provided more proactive service than the TAP average. Water cannon salute from ORD fire dept at arrival, lots of folks on the tarmac and in the gate area to witness TAP’s first arrival (and the first scheduled A330neo service here, if I recall). Event was well covered on the airline’s social media channels if you are looking for photos. I don’t know what the did on the inaugural ORD-LIS besides a ribbon cutting but the crew for the return definitely looked like the B team versus who staffed the flight originating in LIS.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Do you get BIS miles?

Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
I don't think that all pmUA 772's have been Polarized. That said, a window on one of those against a connection on LH, I would go with UA, yes. It happens.

To the OP: I would grab the award just to try the A330-900neo, and for the direct flight West Coast to LIS. The arrival time (11:20am) is nice. If the price stays at $2800 rtn, and you need the PQM's, I would personally consider that too.
Interested to read about the new flights SFO to LIS as we've always wanted to go to Portugal. But I assusme if we flew TAP we would not get BIS miles that would go towards Lifetime Miles?
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmack View Post
But I assusme if we flew TAP we would not get BIS miles that would go towards Lifetime Miles?
Correct.
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm not sure they're new flights.

You have to look at the seat maps and see if they're 1-2-1 but according to a TPG review I saw, it's some alternating 1-2-1 pattern so it's weird.
Old Jun 6, 19, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
You have to look at the seat maps and see if they're 1-2-1 but according to a TPG review I saw, it's some alternating 1-2-1 pattern so it's weird.
The staggering is essentially like UA 'true' Polaris on a 777 or 787-10.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: