Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of United at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uanj
I too am curious why SFO has not gone up to 10-11 X per week like TPE, but UA knows better than us what the demand is.
Did I miss something? I thought TPE-SFO has been and will remain 1x daily.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
HK is not as profitable as it used to be. Even CX has had to cut fares and lower on board amenity to drum up traffic and lower cost. There a lot of competition now in HK than ever before.
CX's issues have little to do with the premium traffic ex-HGK. CX's issues come with having cut its service level so that it's reputation is not so hot, at the same time that its bread and butter business (1) transit from Taiwan to China, and (2) US to India faced much more intense competition. The first changed with direct flights, and the second they are facing really strong competition from the ME3. SQ has some of the same issues (with the ME3). Also as some of the chinese carriers have gotten better, they have more competition ex-China (lots of high value traffic used to go China-HKG-Europe/USA, now goes direct on Chinese Carriers).

the O/D traffic ex-HGK is strong, although it may slow as the economy is starting to slow...

Originally Posted by mr8
Isn’t HKG a vital airport for some of their corporate clients like Apple? Having direct flights to/from the the US with Polaris could be part of UA’s strategy for keeping those clients from the competition.
It is all about corporate accounts. E.g. while SFO is a UA hub, there are three CX flights/day, on SQ flight, one on UA, and now one (4x) on Hong Kong Airline (owned by Heinan). UA is not pulling in much of the high value traffic - that is taking SQ or CX - but UA has enough corporate traffic that the flight is profitable, although UA's market share is shrinking.

Originally Posted by sincx
I wouldn't be too surprised to see LAX-HKG return on a 789.
There is no way that UA will have a LAX-HKG. CX flies it 3x day, AA once a day, and Hong Kong 5x/week. Lots of competition, and UA just does not have the corporate accounts in LA to support a flight. My guess is its more likely that DL does a flight ex-LAX to HKG (once they get more A359s) than UA does.
joejones likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Not too long ago, the HKG UC was widely considered the best in the system and a perfectly good lounge. (although still far behind the CX lounges at HKG) Interesting to observe how standards have changed.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
While the quick turn of aircraft with a double daily SFO does make sense from an aircraft perspective, crew rest issues are problematic unless you have multiple double daily flights from at east two other cities. LAX double daily would work -- EWR & ORD are difficult. Complicating matters would be the competitive impact of doubling the UA capacity to HKG. Hard to believe that adding that much premium cabin capacity wouldn't trigger adds from CX and SQ which would significantly dilute profitability. Expect status quo for a while.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Global First lounge is back to your right after you check in at the United Club (thru the glass doors).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by YRKInsider
Global First lounge is back to your right after you check in at the United Club (thru the glass doors).
Is it still open? I thought they closed it at the same time as IAD, LHR and NRT.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by jsloan
You are completely wrong here.

You cannot credit CX to MileagePlus under any circumstances. You can buy some CX tickets on United.com, and you can connect to/from CX at HKG, but you'll have to credit the CX flight elsewhere.
Doh! There goes my idea for quick weekend trips to WUX/SHA-PVG! The two airlines just need to get tied up to better support MY NEEDS haha
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by david_oz
Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered why UA hasn't switched the timing of the SFO flight to a redeye westbound, or even go double daily.
This would certainly have me flying more UA. I find the afternoon departure extremely inefficient. I've flown two CX J roundtrips this year, and am about to book #3 , all with a late night departure from the west coast.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I would really love to have one more SFO flights from UA! But I guess the competition from CX (3 SFO flights daily) prevents this from happening?
Not to mention SQ001. That's 2 better airlines flying at midnight.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Kitto
The Global First Lounge is the located to the right after you walk in the sliding doors. You check in a the desk as you normally would, and then turn as if you are exiting and you will see a set of doors to the left of the sliding doors.
Oh, thanks for the reply! I will definitely take a peek next time I visit the Club at HKG
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Oh, thanks for the reply! I will definitely take a peek next time I visit the Club at HKG
It's technically not a Global First lounge any more. It's now a "VIP" lounge for GS.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Don't lose sight of the fact that HKG is no longer a transfer point for UA metal, so, theoretically, UA does not have to account for capacity to SIN, SGN, going back further to DEL, etc., on its longhaul flights to/from HKG. Looking at a few years ago, that was 374 seats (SFO), 266 seats (ORD) and 267 seats (EWR) connecting to 266 seats to SIN and various numbers to SGN (150-374), not counting blocked seats for crew rest. I don't really count NRT because that route has been on/off for years, and GUM is a totally different market. That meant 916 seats a day, in and out, for the local HKG market plus 400-650 onward seats with local traffic rights.

Now, HKG is strictly an endpoint, at least from a United perspective (UA isn't sharing in beyond revenue), but capacity is 350 daily seats x2 (EWR/SFO) plus 266-276 seats (ORD), for 966-976 daily longhaul seats, which is an incremental capacity increase without the benefit of on-metal flow traffic. Provided UA is generating favorable yields with its existing service, that's arguably a healthier operation than one which depends on tag segments that were, in their own right, likely money-losers.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Is it still open? I thought they closed it at the same time as IAD, LHR and NRT.
Still open at LHR/NRT/HKG as GS/VIP lounges.

Originally Posted by Santander
Not too long ago, the HKG UC was widely considered the best in the system and a perfectly good lounge. (although still far behind the CX lounges at HKG) Interesting to observe how standards have changed.
Interesting... the first time I visited 12-15 years ago, it was about the same as it is today, with different furniture, and viewed as the best RCC in the system. So I agree that it speaks to the general improvement of United's lounge product (true) or the heightened international competition (also true).

Originally Posted by david_oz
Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered why UA hasn't switched the timing of the SFO flight to a redeye westbound, or even go double daily. The current flight timings seem extremely inefficient with 3 widebody aircraft sitting overnight in HKG. It might be more difficult to make the flight times work from ORD/EWR, but CX seems to manage it to/from SFO.

For example, CX873 leaves SFO at 00:25 arriving at HKG 06:10+1. If UA switched to a similar flight time, this would be way better for travelers originating anywhere in North America since you're not losing a whole day on the way over. That flight could also connect all traffic originating east of SFO and return at the same time from HKG with only 4-5 hours on the ground instead of 15+.
It's certainly possible... I can see UA splitting HKG-SFO into 2x 789 with different timing, like PVG, but not this year or next. I think the HKG economy has to rebound a bit. I also know it's important for UA to have the new Polaris product in the HKG market specifically, due to the competition (SIN, too, but performance dictates 789... the first 789s with Polaris seating are coming this year and I understand they'll be preferentially scheduled out of SFO, likely to SIN).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
It's certainly possible... I can see UA splitting HKG-SFO into 2x 789 with different timing, like PVG, but not this year or next. I think the HKG economy has to rebound a bit. I also know it's important for UA to have the new Polaris product in the HKG market specifically, due to the competition (SIN, too, but performance dictates 789... the first 789s with Polaris seating are coming this year and I understand they'll be preferentially scheduled out of SFO, likely to SIN).
This would be a hard product downgrade, even if they are Polarized 789s. I would not want to be in that seat for 14 hours.

The premium market on this route is pretty discerning; I think that would hurt UA. Currently their hard product is at least competitive with, and in some respects superior to, either CX or SQ.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kitto
The Global First Lounge is the located to the right after you walk in the sliding doors. ....
Originally Posted by YRKInsider
Just to be clear, UA no longer has any "Global First Lounges", the previous HKG GFL has been converted to a GS/VIP lounge.

UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?
wxguy likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
This would be a hard product downgrade, even if they are Polarized 789s. I would not want to be in that seat for 14 hours.

The premium market on this route is pretty discerning; I think that would hurt UA. Currently their hard product is at least competitive with, and in some respects superior to, either CX or SQ.
I finally had a chance to try a 787-10 seat, and while noticeably narrower than the 77W, I still preferred it to 787 Diamond seats. I'm by no means a small person.

I think, on balance, it would be better-received than the older product. Plus, it would bring a premium economy product to the fold, which is desperately needed on the 787-8/9. As always, YMMV.
Dhamal and ContinentalFan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.