Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of United at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think that is very much UA's expectation (that LH/LX traffic will at a minimum help support the lounge). The *A options at HKIA are not very good right now. I believe either LH or LX is currently paying to send its pax to one of the Plaza Premium lounges.
Several *A airlines are paying for contract lounges. CA, LH, OZ, LX, ...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Unless more routes are added, I just don’t see UA installing a Polaris Lounge in HK unless LH, LX and other *A partners are willing to pay for it.

HK is not as profitable as it used to be. Even CX has had to cut fares and lower on board amenity to drum up traffic and lower cost. There a lot of competition now in HK than ever before.
HKG is plenty profitable. I fly about 8 times a year from EWR in business. Prices seem to have gone up a good 20% in the last 2ish years and the cabins are still full. They are making a ton of money on premium traffic and that premium traffic wants a better lounge experience.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:51 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised to see LAX-HKG return on a 789.
Dhamal, ContinentalFan and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mr8
Isn’t HKG a vital airport for some of their corporate clients like Apple? Having direct flights to/from the the US with Polaris could be part of UA’s strategy for keeping those clients from the competition.
IIRC PVG was the far more important one for Apple, but surely HKG can't be too far behind in terms of importance/value.
chairman888 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Others might feel differently, but I find the food at Thai's lounge is much better than United's. The drink is slightly better too.
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
I've never been to a Global First lounge, so I can only compare the United Club at HKG to the ones in the U.S. At least the HKG Club has more food options than the ones in the U.S.
When not on Polaris class seat, my HKG departure routine usually includes Singapore lounge (before renovations) to snack on the asian food (dim sum, tofu dessert) and get a sparkling water. The showers have been under construction for over a year, so I typically plan for time to get to the area near gate 60 for a shower. I usually enjoy the walk over to gate 60 area rather than take the train. Once near gate 60, my next stop is usually Thai lounge for dragon fruit, croissant and shower as United's shower availability is 50/50. Also while I'm there I spend 10-15 minutes in the massage chair. Time permitting I may hit the United Club for a hot breakfast and sit above the gates to monitor the flights.

When on a Polaris class seat, I head directly to the United Club. (again walking over to gate 60). As I do have access to the Global First Lounge, I enjoy the seating, shower, made-to-order breakfast and their buffet food selections until take off. No massage chair, but I'll manage with the lay flat on the plane. lol ;P
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by dulcamara
If I'm leaving HKG for mainland China, I'm flying CX and spend my time at the Wing.
I got to experience the Wing (or the Pier, can't remember which) last year and it was amazing! Curious, though. I know that UA allows for some flights on CX to credit to your UA MP account, but have never figured out how to actually book one of these. Do you do it through United.com or otherwise? Or am I completely wrong here?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFHokie
Or am I completely wrong here?
You are completely wrong here.

You cannot credit CX to MileagePlus under any circumstances. You can buy some CX tickets on United.com, and you can connect to/from CX at HKG, but you'll have to credit the CX flight elsewhere.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by dulcamara
The seating in the AMEX lounge is the worst. These guys clearly don't want you hanging around too long.
It was my first time at the HKG AMEX lounge yesterday and I was pretty disappointed as well, especially with the seating as you say. It tries to be all trendy/artsy and it really just horrible. Also the Bloody Mary's are pretty bad there as well and the wife and I couldn't take more than a sip.

The SFO AMEX lounge is also a zoo at times, which makes me yearn for my IAH lounge that is actually relaxing - if only it were a tad more conveniently located.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered why UA hasn't switched the timing of the SFO flight to a redeye westbound, or even go double daily. The current flight timings seem extremely inefficient with 3 widebody aircraft sitting overnight in HKG. It might be more difficult to make the flight times work from ORD/EWR, but CX seems to manage it to/from SFO.

For example, CX873 leaves SFO at 00:25 arriving at HKG 06:10+1. If UA switched to a similar flight time, this would be way better for travelers originating anywhere in North America since you're not losing a whole day on the way over. That flight could also connect all traffic originating east of SFO and return at the same time from HKG with only 4-5 hours on the ground instead of 15+.
SAT Lawyer and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Kitto
When not on Polaris class seat, my HKG departure routine usually includes Singapore lounge (before renovations) to snack on the asian food (dim sum, tofu dessert) and get a sparkling water. The showers have been under construction for over a year, so I typically plan for time to get to the area near gate 60 for a shower. I usually enjoy the walk over to gate 60 area rather than take the train. Once near gate 60, my next stop is usually Thai lounge for dragon fruit, croissant and shower as United's shower availability is 50/50. Also while I'm there I spend 10-15 minutes in the massage chair. Time permitting I may hit the United Club for a hot breakfast and sit above the gates to monitor the flights.

When on a Polaris class seat, I head directly to the United Club. (again walking over to gate 60). As I do have access to the Global First Lounge, I enjoy the seating, shower, made-to-order breakfast and their buffet food selections until take off. No massage chair, but I'll manage with the lay flat on the plane. lol ;P
Oh, so the Global First lounge is still there? I definitely did not notice it (nor did I have access to it, anyways). Where is it? Somewhere inside the United Club?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz
Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered why UA hasn't switched the timing of the SFO flight to a redeye westbound, or even go double daily. The current flight timings seem extremely inefficient with 3 widebody aircraft sitting overnight in HKG. It might be more difficult to make the flight times work from ORD/EWR, but CX seems to manage it to/from SFO.

For example, CX873 leaves SFO at 00:25 arriving at HKG 06:10+1. If UA switched to a similar flight time, this would be way better for travelers originating anywhere in North America since you're not losing a whole day on the way over. That flight could also connect all traffic originating east of SFO and return at the same time from HKG with only 4-5 hours on the ground instead of 15+.
I would really love to have one more SFO flights from UA! But I guess the competition from CX (3 SFO flights daily) prevents this from happening?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by david_oz

UA did have double daily to SFO in the 90s, even 3X daily at one point. The third flight was a late night flight which left fairly close in time to the DEL flight. I remember it because I was on UA HKG-DEL-LHR and DEL flight was looking like it would cancel. So they asked me if I could switch and fly the other way via SFO.

I too am curious why SFO has not gone up to 10-11 X per week like ICN, but UA knows better than us what the demand is.

Last edited by uanj; Jun 5, 2019 at 9:52 am Reason: corrected airport
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Oh, so the Global First lounge is still there? I definitely did not notice it (nor did I have access to it, anyways). Where is it? Somewhere inside the United Club?
The Global First Lounge is the located to the right after you walk in the sliding doors. You check in a the desk as you normally would, and then turn as if you are exiting and you will see a set of doors to the left of the sliding doors.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
Guys, you are more likely to see PZ9 on EWR-HKG than any other US-Asia route. And for leisure travelers, R/T K/L fares are well below $1K. Do not complain too loudly about UA operations in HKG.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:23 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by sincx
I wouldn't be too surprised to see LAX-HKG return on a 789.
As much as I like to see it happen, I think UA would probably try adding a HKG flight from one of its other hubs that currently doesn't serve HKG before the return of LAX-HKG with CX now running 3 or 4 daily flights.

LAX
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.