Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR IRROPS: UA sent me to a different airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR IRROPS: UA sent me to a different airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
If I start seeing auto rebook options that decide COS and DEN are close enough that is going to be a problem... if you want to ask me, fine, but don’t decide for me.
jsloan, Boofer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
True, but you have to push. I had a DCA-ORD flight cancel and I was automatically rebooked IAD-ORD, and it was like pulling teeth to get it back to Reagan. "National and Dulles are different markets" was their tune. ("But...but...but...") I think the fundamental problem is that UA, or rather, some agents, consider automatic rebooking voluntary.
Yep and when you don't have status your dealing with the $12 an hour people that most of them have an IQ of 10 your SOL. But i will say being Silver this year has been nice.. Agents have been great to me..
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Yep and when you don't have status your dealing with the $12 an hour people that most of them have an IQ of 10 your SOL.
Working at a call center is a much more prestigious job in the Philippines than it is in the US; I don't know about UA in particular, but most companies require a college degree in order to apply. I find your characterization a little odd.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:32 am Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Working at a call center is a much more prestigious job in the Philippines than it is in the US; I don't know about UA in particular, but most companies require a college degree in order to apply. I find your characterization a little odd..
I'm talking about the agents that work at the counter at EWR. Not the call center. When you know how to do their job better than they do it's a problem. And don't even get me started on the 3rd party contractors they hire. Again not all of them but most of them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:24 am Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm talking about the agents that work at the counter at EWR. Not the call center. When you know how to do their job better than they do it's a problem. And don't even get me started on the 3rd party contractors they hire. Again not all of them but most of them.

I suspect the larger point is that by and large UA has competent agents.

In the off chance case you get one who isn't, you can politely cancel the request and try for another — AKA HUACA, which is just as applicable in person.
jsloan, iapetus and truncated like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:22 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
But I suspect the larger point is that by and large UA has competent agents.
I reeeeaaaallly don't want to get in the middle of this one. But I do feel compelled to point out that many of us have complained about inconsistencies in experiences with different agents. So I don't think it's totally baseless to complain about the competency of some of them. And it has been a while since I've used the phone lines reserved for general members, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a step-down from what I'm used to. Just playing the Devil's advocate a bit ...

In the off chance case you get one who isn't, you can politely cancel the request and try for another — AKA HUACA, which is just as applicable in person.
^ That said, I've never really felt the need to HUACA ... 'cause I am almost always very happy with the service provided over the phone.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
I reeeeaaaallly don't want to get in the middle of this one. But I do feel compelled to point out that many of us have complained about inconsistencies in experiences with different agents. So I don't think it's totally baseless to complain about the competency of some of them. And it has been a while since I've used the phone lines reserved for general members, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a step-down from what I'm used to. Just playing the Devil's advocate a bit ...

^ That said, I've never really felt the need to HUACA ... 'cause I am almost always very happy with the service provided over the phone.
True, and sometimes it feels the chance of a bad agent is more 'on' than 'off', so I sympathise with that. But there's a difference between complaining and vituperating.

For a while I tried to time my calls to get HNL, which almost assured success with any request. Recently, though, I haven't had great luck with that timing.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
If emailing customer service doesn’t work, file a DOT complaint and you should make out alright
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:59 pm

I suspect the larger point is that by and large UA has competent agents.

Once again I am talking about the agents at the airport. ... I never said I had a problem with anyone on the phone. In fact I said the opposite that I have been pleasantly surprised by the Silver line.

But to get back on topic, you can't put your hands or faith in them... When things go IRROPS you really need to push for what YOU want.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:20 am Reason: discuss the issues; not the posters; quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again I am talking about the agents at the airport. ... I never said I had a problem with anyone on the phone. In fact I said the opposite that I have been pleasantly surprised by the Silver line.

But to get back on topic, you can't put your hands or faith in them... When things go IRROPS you really need to push for what YOU want.
Hence,

There may or may not be some irony in complaining about '$12 an hour people' with an ungrammatical missive.

But I suspect the larger point is that by and large UA has competent agents.

In the off chance case you get one who isn't, you can politely cancel the request and try for another — AKA HUACA,
which is just as applicable in person.
I.e. a reminder that you can 'hang up' on an airport agent and go find someone else.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:19 am Reason: quite updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:36 am

Hence,

I.e. a reminder that you can 'hang up' on an airport agent and go find someone else.
LOL
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny that you (not you in particular but those that have responded) knock my grammar on one word but you can't read what I'm writing...
The majority of the thread is about experiences with phone agents.. and you specifically mentioned getting different people when you don't have status -- does that really happen at the airport? I've never noticed any particular difference in skill between the agents who work the Premier lines and those who work the regular lines.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Half the Premier agents try to charge me for SDCs or checked bags over 50lbs and I ask if this is the Premier line...

I bet “Global Reception” for GS is a more dedicated role or has better training; but they’re not airside anyways..

United Club agents are also hit or miss. Sometimes I’ll HUCA if they leave the desk and their colleague will be like I overheard and thought she/he was wrong on that but didn’t want to get in the middle of it.. I’ll fix it for you..

The majority of the thread is about experiences with phone agents.. and you specifically mentioned getting different people when you don't have status -- does that really happen at the airport? I've never noticed any particular difference in skill between the agents who work the Premier lines and those who work the regular lines.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Jun 7, 2019 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Some of the CSCs have different "Premier" and "Nobody" queues but depending on how the agents working the CSC are collectively feeling (and I assume how long the lines are) you may or may not get a different agent depending on which queue you enter or you may just get to the same agents faster.

There are pay premiums for certain types of agents (Baggage Service, GS, United Club) so in theory you should get a more *experienced* agent from one of those though sometimes more bitter rather than more better.

[Lastly some airports deliver a wildly different level of service based on which queue you sort into: e.g. high(er) level Premiers get an agent to do everything -- kiosk not even available, while GMs have to self-tag their bags before they can even get to the counter, but I don't think that's what OP was referring to]
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A few recent posts needed some clean-up as the discussion got too personal - the discussion is not enhanced making such personal comments and does not fit with the FT desire for civil, collegial discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Boofer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 8, 2019 at 9:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.