FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Need creative help to book one-way fare....TLV-EWR/IAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1972496-need-creative-help-book-one-way-fare-tlv-ewr-iad.html)

atwnsw2 Jun 3, 19 12:26 pm

Need creative help to book one-way fare....TLV-EWR/IAD

I already have a one-way fare booked on UA to Israel for 75k pp in Biz but am struggling to find a solution for a specific return flight.
My criteria are very rigid with the exception of the dates of travel.
Return Flight:
TLV-IAD or TLV-EWR non-stop only.
Departure Flight Time Window: 10:00pm-2:00am
2 People
Business Class
Date options: 10/21, 10/22, 10/23

When I looked to buy 2 one-way tickets, the cost was $7k+ total. (When I looked at the roundtrip price, it also was $7k+ ironically).
My preference would be to use my points or trade on CC but I honestly don't know what I need to make this happen.
(ie...Is there some sort of upgrade pass that I could trade for that is applicable for these flights)?

In short, I don't want to burn the cash and would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Anthony

P.S. The reason that I am being totally inflexible is that I have extenuating health issues and the only way that I could even do this trip is if I was on any of these particular flights.
Breaking the trip into separate parts isn't an option. This would be the longest trip that I have ever taken and riskiest. It is our 25th anniversary and I would like to find a way if possible to make this happen.

764toHI Jun 3, 19 12:43 pm

There are plenty of one-stop saver options available in J, why don't they work? I'd book the LX option via ZRH and change if the nonstops open up. Alternatively, DY (Norwegian) and SU (Aeroflot) have affordable ~$600-700 one-stop paid options available in premium economy.

Most airlines tend not to sell one-way tickets in discounted fare classes, which is why you are seeing the R/T and O/W comparable in price.

atwnsw2 Jun 3, 19 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 31166650)
There are plenty of one-stop saver options available in J, why don't they work? I'd book the LX option via ZRH and change if the nonstops open up. Alternatively, DY (Norwegian) and SU (Aeroflot) have affordable ~$600-700 one-stop paid options available in premium economy.

Most airlines tend not to sell one-way tickets in discounted fare classes, which is why you are seeing the R/T and O/W comparable in price.

It has to be the non-stop flight. I have to travel with a mask (immune compromised) and it is very uncomfortable to wear it any longer than necessary. Breaking up the trip isn't an option because I have medical treatments to setup/do if overnight and that is more work that will deplete me further. I realize that this may not make sense but it needs to be in Business Class to be viable with the least amount of stress on my body.

aacharya Jun 3, 19 1:02 pm

This is tricky with your condition. Many would recommend a flight to/from YYZ or another non-UA hub to drop the price down.

Or even to "gasp" cancel your Business Saver and book the whole thing in J.

Or look for a multi-city routing, with the return in Y (that you might never take).

jsloan Jun 3, 19 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by atwnsw2 (Post 31166602)
When I looked to buy 2 one-way tickets, the cost was $7k+ total. (When I looked at the roundtrip price, it also was $7k+ ironically).

That's normal. There's a huge premium for one-way travel in many markets, especially international. (Airlines counter that they offer a discount on round-trip travel). This is a way for them to segment business travelers, since leisure travelers don't normally book long-haul one-way flights.

Originally Posted by atwnsw2 (Post 31166602)
(ie...Is there some sort of upgrade pass that I could trade for that is applicable for these flights)?

Trading for an upgrade is against the rules of both FlyerTalk and United. If there is upgrade space available on your flight, you can buy the coach fare and then use miles + a cash copay to upgrade. However, TLV is typically a difficult upgrade to find.

The only other thing to try is to look for flights that connect inside the US to another destination, and then leave the plane at the transfer point. This can be difficult with checked baggage. This is also contrary to UA's published rules, but as long as you don't make a habit of it, there's unlikely to be a problem.

Good luck!

docbert Jun 3, 19 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31166746)
The only other thing to try is to look for flights that connect inside the US to another destination, and then leave the plane at the transfer point. This can be difficult with checked baggage. This is also contrary to UA's published rules, but as long as you don't make a habit of it, there's unlikely to be a problem.

This may be possible at EWR, but it is NOT at IAD due to the mid-field immigration/TSA where you'll be sent if you have a connecting flight.

(I'm presuming the OP will have check baggage due to their health issues)

sincx Jun 4, 19 11:02 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 31166725)
Or even to "gasp" cancel your Business Saver and book the whole thing in J.

This might be the best option. Or just pay for the Everyday Award if you have enough miles, and waitlist for Business Saver.

dtbe Jun 4, 19 2:05 pm

These dates are during the last days of Sukkot holiday. I believe the load on TLV-EWR route would be higher and 10/23 might work better for you (to focus your search).
Also consider the risk of measles on the EWR flights. Not sure whether the reports about the NYC Orthodox community being anti vaccines are true and whether they typically fly UA to TLV, but maybe it's worth double checking.