Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Expired" buyup offers still on Manage Itinerary page

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Expired" buyup offers still on Manage Itinerary page

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozilla
According to the offer T&C, these discounted offers don't depend on seat availability as is the case for classic buy-ups, instead, they depend on upgrade availability. The FAQ seems to further specify that this means they take "demand for premium cabin seating" into account. And that could be general system-wide demand, projected future demand for this particular flight, or anything really. It doesn't specify that it has to be the current demand for this flight.
Yes, I see that in the T&Cs, but the point is that the offer states "Upgrade your seat to PP". How can one read this any way other than "your seat on your specific flight"?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer

as the OP said, there are plenty if seats and thus it CAN be purchased which I am certain any phone agent will gladly offer. Will be important to list that quoted price together with the screenshot and UAs unwillingness the honor the advertised price in the DOT complaint.
Where does it say that in the post? I read, although I may be confused, it offered a buyup, which on the web says trying to buy says "expired" - which web support says "expired" and wasn't offered an alternative price. If the booking path says "expired" and doesn't even offer an alternative, I don't see how DOT would even blink (and even if it did, what good would it do you)

Maybe it is expired
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Where does it say that in the post? I read, although I may be confused, it offered a buyup, which on the web says trying to buy says "expired" - which web support says "expired" and wasn't offered an alternative price. If the booking path says "expired" and doesn't even offer an alternative, I don't see how DOT would even blink (and even if it did, what good would it do you)

Maybe it is expired
DOT rules (14 CFR 399.84) enumerate a number of specific cases. It appears to require an intent to deceive by leaving out additional taxes, ancillary fees, surcharges, mandatory options in advertised fare/tour prices. It's not altogether clear whether it covers a case with an expired upgrade offer where it does not appear to be attempt to deceive and the airline does not really stand to financially benefit.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
For me, these "expired" upgrades are the norm whenever I have applied an RPU/GPU or miles upgrade. Here are the offers for my next to itineraries:

Flights in 10 days:An easy way to treat yourself. Upgrade your seat and enjoy the added benefits of United First. $79 per person
--> Click and says no upgrade options available. [Miles upgrade requested]

Flights in 4 weeks: An easy way to treat yourself. Upgrade your seat and enjoy the added benefits of United First. $179 per person
--> Click and says no upgrade options available. [SWU requested on outbound]

I have not called UA because I can guess what flight segments these are for. Still, it's annoying that these are offered but not bookable.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:19 am

I'm still not sure if this qualifies as an offer. It sounds more like an advertisement, and if you click the ad, then the actual offer will appear (if there is one).

I'm not sure why the overview page cannot figure out if there is an offer available before showing the ad. It could be just bad design, or they deliberately wanted to limit the number of queries that that page runs, so it doesn't take forever to generate for an itinerary with many segments.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
For me, these "expired" upgrades are the norm whenever I have applied an RPU/GPU or miles upgrade. Here are the offers for my next to itineraries:

Flights in 10 days:An easy way to treat yourself. Upgrade your seat and enjoy the added benefits of United First. $79 per person
--> Click and says no upgrade options available. [Miles upgrade requested]

Flights in 4 weeks: An easy way to treat yourself. Upgrade your seat and enjoy the added benefits of United First. $179 per person
--> Click and says no upgrade options available. [SWU requested on outbound]

I have not called UA because I can guess what flight segments these are for. Still, it's annoying that these are offered but not bookable.
I see this too. I bought a PP fare; the return was offering me an instant upgrade for the low low price of $4200. I declined and waitlisted using miles + copay. The banner saying "upgrade for $4200" never disappeared, but once I was waistlisted, it told me "no upgrade options" at the upgrade screen.

Now the banner has changed to $1200, and there are still "no upgrade options".

It seems like what's going on here is that the upgrade screen won't present options if you are waitlisted, but the code to present the banner doesn't make that check. It's a website bug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.