Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Expired" buyup offers still on Manage Itinerary page

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

(Mods, please consolidate if relevant. I couldn't quite find a place for this). Has anyone else had buyup offers on the Manage Itinerary page that won't execute, and then UA phone rep and also web support say that the offer has "expired?" I've got this situation on an upcoming TATL in Y, where the web page is offering a $972 roundtrip buyup to PP, but clicking the link just takes you to a different (old style) itinerary page. Of course UA has the right to expire offers, so I suspect in this case it's just poor web programming that fails to remove the offer. But might I not have a case to complain to the DOT with a screen shot that they are offering a fare that doesn't exist?
Old May 31, 2019, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Try requesting to be transfer to Web Support. they will be able to see what you see (normal reservation agents cannot) and if the offer is still there but fails to execute, they have the power to honor the offer.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Try requesting to be transfer to Web Support. they will be able to see what you see (normal reservation agents cannot) and if the offer is still there but fails to execute, they have the power to honor the offer.
I did exactly that after res couldn't do it, and wen support also said "offer has expired, too bad."
Old May 31, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
I did exactly that after res couldn't do it, and wen support also said "offer has expired, too bad."
Could web support see it? If they can not see it, then you are hosed.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Did you have a waitlisted upgrade to PP on the itin? I have seen this exact behavior when waitlisted for an upgrade: clicking the offer almost always takes you to the old style itin with no further option to upgrade. I've had mixed luck calling and getting it resolved.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
Did you have a waitlisted upgrade to PP on the itin? I have seen this exact behavior when waitlisted for an upgrade: clicking the offer almost always takes you to the old style itin with no further option to upgrade. I've had mixed luck calling and getting it resolved.
Yes, this is exactly my situation. But web support said even when they built a dummy record without the waitlisted upgrade, they couldn't accept the cash upgrade offer. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get, since it truly is false advertising. They need to either correct the website code to remove the offer, or honor their written offer.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:33 am

What "buy-up" is this? Is this a full differential buy-up involving a change flight process with change fee waived? That should be available as long as there is premium cabin fare/inventory. It does not "expire".

Or is this the discounted option mentioned at https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...miumCabin.aspx? This is more restricted as it depends on "the number of seats available in the premium cabin and the demand for premium cabin seating", but even that one doesn't "expire" at a set time according to the T&C, UA can just offer it whenever they feel like it. They could offer it yesterday, not today, and offer it again tomorrow if they want.

@OP what is the current premium inventory on your flight?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yes, this is exactly my situation. But web support said even when they built a dummy record without the waitlisted upgrade, they couldn't accept the cash upgrade offer. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get, since it truly is false advertising. They need to either correct the website code to remove the offer, or honor their written offer.
feel free to report it to the DOT as deceptive advertising. Send in screenshots. They are interested in hearing these stories and UA will end of honoring it.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozilla
What "buy-up" is this? Is this a full differential buy-up involving a change flight process with change fee waived? That should be available as long as there is premium cabin fare/inventory. It does not "expire".

Or is this the discounted option mentioned at https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...miumCabin.aspx? This is more restricted as it depends on "the number of seats available in the premium cabin and the demand for premium cabin seating", but even that one doesn't "expire" at a set time according to the T&C, UA can just offer it whenever they feel like it. They could offer it yesterday, not today, and offer it again tomorrow if they want.

@OP what is the current premium inventory on your flight?
It's a heavily discounted buyup offer, which is why I'm pursuing it, not an upfare for the difference between the two undiscounted fares. The latter can certainly be executed at any time with no change fee, as per GG BUYUP, but the former is at the whim of UA. Their mistake is not bothering to fix the coding error, and continuing to offer the special buyup on the itnerary page, even when they don't want to honor the offer any more. The PP cabin is empty, with just 1 or 2 seats sold, on both legs.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Could web support see it? If they can not see it, then you are hosed.
Yes, web support can see the offer just as I can. They just claim that it is expired, and don't seem to understand the DOT implication of advertising an offer they then decline to fill.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:25 pm

Yes, web support can see the offer just as I can. They just claim that it is expired, and don't seem to understand the DOT implication of advertising an offer they then decline to fill.
Very odd, Web Support has traditionally honored visible offers.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Very odd, Web Support has traditionally honored visible offers.
get screen shots if you can and report it to the DOT.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig

get screen shots if you can and report it to the DOT.
I thought DOT issues were bait and switch - such as an offer for $300 that turns into $500 - not an offer for $300 you simply can't purchase for any price.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I thought DOT issues were bait and switch - such as an offer for $300 that turns into $500 - not an offer for $300 you simply can't purchase for any price.
as the OP said, there are plenty if seats and thus it CAN be purchased which I am certain any phone agent will gladly offer. Will be important to list that quoted price together with the screenshot and UAs unwillingness the honor the advertised price in the DOT complaint.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
as the OP said, there are plenty if seats and thus it CAN be purchased which I am certain any phone agent will gladly offer.

According to the offer T&C, these discounted offers don't depend on seat availability as is the case for classic buy-ups, instead, they depend on upgrade availability. The FAQ seems to further specify that this means they take "demand for premium cabin seating" into account. And that could be general system-wide demand, projected future demand for this particular flight, or anything really. It doesn't specify that it has to be the current demand for this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.