Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Benefits of booking as a round-trip:
  • Free “stopover” in the region of destination via the Excursionist Perk
  • Only one change/reschedule /cancel fee applies if you change/cancel the ticket, so OWs could be as much as are 2x (for those subject to fees)
  • Another potential issue for international trips is a bit more hassle in proving RT to immigration folks. Be prepared to show proof of onward travel.
  • RTs may make it easier to avoid hassles of “exit taxes”
  • RTs may be less likely to have potential SSSS issues. OWs may have more.
Benefits of booking as two one-ways:
  • Book when inventory is available (and not need available in both directions)
  • Much, much easier to change a single direction of travel (as availability in the other direction is not needed}
  • Can cancel inbound/return after flying outbound and still get miles refunded
  • For a short while, if eligible, two $5 travel bank credits for two reservations (until April 2020 at the latest)
  • UA search engine may find more one-way options if not including the other direction in the search

Older thread:
One-Way vs Roundtrip (MileagePlus Award Travel)
Print Wikipost

2x One-Way Awards vs Round Trip Award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Why book RT MP award tickets?

This is the second time this has happened to me. A few years apart hence my making the same mistake twice - I book a RT awards on a *A partner in Europe or UA EWR-CUN. Fly the outbound and then decide to cancel return. Both times told I cannot get the miles refunded for the return flight I canceled in advance. Just don't understand the rule since a one way x2 costs the same in miles and you can cancel either tickets prior to travel with full mileage and tax refund. As a GS I got the miles back for the unused portions (I suppose due to status) but it just doesn't make any sense if booking 2 oneway awards costs the same and doesn't carry the penalty of foregoing miles. Any ideas for this supposed inconsistency?

Adam
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In the past, round trips had stopovers. Now you get the excursion bonus. But if you're just doing point to point, there seems to be little benefit.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Stopover/now crippled stopover and reduced fees for those that pay them.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Change fees?

The fee to change is still a "reissue fee" I'm pretty sure, so if you change both directions at once, you should only pay one fee on a round-trip. On separate one-ways, that would cost twice. Obviously, for a GS, that is irrelevant, but for lower level MP members or non-elites, that would be a factor.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:07 pm

Question Award Travel - Round Trip v. One Way

Is there a benefit in award travel with booking round trip v. two one-way tickets?

I assume the benefit to one way travel is that if you for some reason change your plans the way out the return flight isn't cancelled.

But what about change fees? Is the change fee applied once to the whole trip (round trip) or individually to each leg changed?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Benefits of booking as a round-trip:
- free stopover in region of destination via the Excursionist Perk
- only one change/cancel fee applies if you change/cancel the ticket

- much, much easier to change a single direction of travel
- can cancel inbound after flying outbound and still get miles refunded
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by findark
- much, much easier to change a single direction of travel
+ Can book outbound before you're within 330 days of the inbound.

Originally Posted by c2cflyer
But what about change fees? Is the change fee applied once to the whole trip (round trip) or individually to each leg changed?
Once per ticket. So if you need to change both directions, two one-ways would double the change fees.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by c2cflyer
Is there a benefit in award travel with booking round trip v. two one-way tickets?

I assume the benefit to one way travel is that if you for some reason change your plans the way out the return flight isn't cancelled.

There is surprisingly little on this forum (unless I've missed it) about how to get the most out of the new 'enhanced' UA award system. However there are some good articles out there (I don't have links to hand) but I think travelisfree.com had a good article.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ermintrude
There is surprisingly little on this forum (unless I've missed it) about how to get the most out of the new 'enhanced' UA award system. However there are some good articles out there (I don't have links to hand) but I think travelisfree.com had a good article.
IMO it's because there really isn't any 'most' to get out of it. UA enhanced away all the good stuff.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
you'll get an additional $5 in your travel bank ($25 annual membership required) when booking two one-ways.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I book a r/t I always do it as 2 one-ways because most of the time it is A-B-A or A-B C-A and I don't really need to take advantage of stops and things like that in between. Example I have LAX-VIE-BUD and TXL-VIE-LAX on their own awards. Sad to say but I have them as 2 tickets because I don't trust UA's IT in the event that I did want to change something-for example if LH F opens up closer to the outbound.

Most of the times my awards are just a single one-way as in an upcoming trip in April that is SFO-HND J (GPU) HND-BKK (TG F award) CNX-BKK-HKG F ($) HKG-SFO J (GPU).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by riphamilton
you'll get an additional $5 in your travel bank ($25 annual membership required) when booking two one-ways.
TRAVELBANK RULES ---

Not valid in conjunction with any other programs (e.g., MileagePlus award redemption).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
TRAVELBANK RULES ---

Not valid in conjunction with any other programs (e.g., MileagePlus award redemption).
It may say that but in practice, the $5 booking bonus does apply, as noted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...om-club-q.html (as long as booked online).

IME I got 6 bonuses for award tickets last year, including two I had to write in for.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:37 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by findark
What is this new policy? -- you can no longer get a refund on a 1/2-flown RT ?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TA
you can no longer get a refund on a 1/2-flown RT ?
I don't recall that ever being a policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.