FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1971997-green-tagged-bag-questions-experiences.html)

slidergirl Aug 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

I'm not a United flyer. But, my trip this time requires booking UA to get to my destination (PSP) from my home airport (SLC). I'm going SLC-SFO-PSP and reverse, all on regionals (one CRJ-700 and three ERJ-175). I will have my trusty carryon roller with me. I have no problem giving my bag to the ramp team to put under instead of vying for overhead space. Is that possible? Also, if they want space for others, do the gate team offer "gate check" for free to the final destination? I wouldn't mind that, especially for the flight out where I've got some time in SFO between flights. There isn't anything in the bag that I must have access to enroute. And, I have no problem giving the overhead space to others who really want it.

I'm just exploring my options to be a polite UA flyer... TIA!

findark Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl (Post 28751700)
I have no problem giving my bag to the ramp team to put under instead of vying for overhead space. Is that possible?

Yes. It depends on the specific Express carrier as to the "normal" way of doing things, but all of them can "green tag" your bag which means it will be returned to you on arrival at the aircraft door. Generally smaller aircraft will ask you to do this for any full-size carry-on (CR2, E45). With a CR7 they often do this, and less so on E75s because they're bigger. But for all of them, you should definitely be able to do it if you ask the GA.

Originally Posted by slidergirl (Post 28751700)
Also, if they want space for others, do the gate team offer "gate check" for free to the final destination?

Yes, absolutely (assuming you are not on a Basic Economy fare).

kale73 Aug 29, 2017 1:19 pm

As long as all the flights are UAX, the bags you "check" at the departure gate will be returned to you at the arrival gate. If any of the flights are mainline, they will often courtesy gate check to the "final destination" and you will pick it up at baggage claim. You might be able to get the GA to courtesy check the bag thru to PSP, but that's not what typically happens IME.

All of this presupposes that you do not have a dreaded Basic Economy (N class) ticket. If that's the case, you will be required to check the bag (for a fee if not elite) at the check-in counter OR pay an additional fee to have it checked (to your final destination) at the gate.

Catbert10 Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

IME, for the E17x flights, at the gate your only option is to check your bag through to your final destination. No option is given to pick up your bags at the arriving gate. I base this observation on overhearing a lot of conversations at the doorway when overhead space runs out.

WineCountryUA Aug 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 28751798)
IME, for the E17x flights, at the gate your only option is to check your bag through to your final destination. No option is given to pick up your bags at the arriving gate. I base this observation on overhearing a lot of conversations at the doorway when overhead space runs out.

At times you will be offered a "white" bag check (to your destination) or a "green" bag check (to the next airport). I have never been declined a "green" bag check on UX.

Catbert10 Aug 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28752064)
At times you will be offered a "white" bag check (to your destination) or a "green" bag check (to the next airport). I have never been declined a "green" bag check on UX.

Certainly not denying your experience, but as I end up sitting in 1A on the e17x birds a lot, I've heard plenty of people being denied gate valet.

AceReport Aug 29, 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28752064)

+1

I wouldn't ask for it to be checked through myself though. I always feel that it's more likely to go missing.

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 28752093)
Certainly not denying your experience, but as I end up sitting in 1A on the e17x birds a lot, I've heard plenty of people being denied gate valet.

Agreed I've seen it though only on mainline with a less than full flight. I feel like the times it's mainly been a GA or FA deciding to be difficult with a passenger for whatever reason. I can't think of a time when I've seen that happen on a CRJ.

slidergirl Aug 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks.

No, I'm not on Basic Economy; I've got 2 in Economy Plus and 2 in "normal" Economy (I can't remember if L or T). I chose seats. All 4 flights are on SkyWest. I fly them all the time with DL, so no surprises there for me. I've got 3 hours in SFO, so I kind wouldn't mind if they tagged it at the gate all the way to PSP. Even on DL, I will just give my bag to the ramp person to avoid the overhead scrum. It's not life or death to have my bag in the overhead.

LarryJ Aug 30, 2017 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 28751798)

United Express does green tag gate checking on the E-Series. Delta Connection does not.

Often1 Aug 30, 2017 5:58 am

Don't focus on UA vs. UAX (or any particular express contractor). Focus on the aircraft. The newer & larger versions of the '175, by way of example, have full-size OH, and it will be very rare to see "valet"-checking.

Bags which fit the sizer will fit the OH and depending on your BG, there may or may not be space. These aircraft have the advantage of 2-2 in Y, seating which ultimately works out to more space in the OH per passenger.

If there is other luggage which must be returned at the gate, e.g. wheelchairs & strollers, a good GA will, on request, slip you a green tag if you ask. But, don't count on it.

Hipplewm Aug 30, 2017 8:07 am

If they make an announcement along the lines of "gate check your bag for free due to a full flight and low overhead space" that is "pickup at final destination". You should get a regular tag on your bag that isn't a green tag with a rubber band holding it on. They will also ask for your boarding pass to verify you are on the flight and associate checked baggage to you.

If they hand you a green tag (same as delta's pink one) that is pick it up at next airport in the jetbridge. Green tags don't require them to have your boarding pass and they are held on with a small piece of elastic.

LarryJ Aug 30, 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28754694)
Don't focus on UA vs. UAX (or any particular express contractor). Focus on the aircraft. The newer & larger versions of the '175, by way of example, have full-size OH, and it will be very rare to see "valet"-checking.

On United Express, the E-Series jets offer valet "green tag" gate checks.

On Delta Connection the E-Series flights do not offer valet gate checks.

I don't know what American Eagle or Alaska's regional does for these airplanes.

While the E-Series jets have larger bins than the smaller regional jets, they still aren't big enough to fit everyone's rollaboards. It's nice to have the option to valet check instead of checking to the destination.

When flying to smaller cities on the 737 it is common to see deplaning passengers waiting in the jet bridge for their gate checked bags. On United, at least, it's very easy to know if you can valet check or not. If it is "Express" then valet checking is available. If United mainline then it is not.

On Delta Connection you also need to know what airplane you're on.

david_oz May 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

i was boarding a flight from Denver to Calgary today and needed a green tag. I asked for the tag as I was boarding, and the agent started to put it on my bag. I told her I don’t mind doing it so I don’t hold up the boarding line, and she said apparently there is a new policy that the agent has to attach the green tag.

If that’s the case I’m surprised I haven’t read about it here yet. And just to be clear, I don’t really care whether I need to attach the tag or the gate agent does... it’s all the same to me

WineCountryUA May 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz (Post 31155022)
i was boarding a flight from Denver to Calgary today and needed a green tag. I asked for the tag as I was boarding, and the agent started to put it on my bag. I told her I don’t mind doing it so I don’t hold up the boarding line, and she said apparently there is a new policy that the agent has to attach the green tag. ....

Green tags mean you were on UX and UX carriers have different policies. Additionally, 9 times out of 10 on FT when an agent says "new policies" it is just a way to cut off objections and not really a new policy

david_oz May 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Skywest was the operator if that helps