Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Definitions

Gate Check / White Tags -- this can occur with mainline or UX, this is when not enough space remains in overhead bins for more carry-on. The GA will announce the need for gate check (rarely before boarding group 4 / non-elites, Basic Economy is BG5). You will receive a white tag before boarding and your bag will be checked thru to the destination, at no cost to you and go to the normal bag carousel
  • Another gate check case is a Basic Economy customer attempting to bring a too large carry-on when not allowed for the route. The GA may force a gate check and charge the customer.

Valet Check / Green Tags -- as some UX overhead bins are too small for carry-on, rollaboards, as boarding you will drop your bag off (get a green tag) and it will be return to you as you arrive at the next airport. Sometimes this will be a cart as your board the aircraft, sometime an area in the jet ramp / jet way. There are some reports at very small airports with no connections, bags may go to the carousel -- this is very rare.

Print Wikipost

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Being one who tends to err on the paranoid side I've thought that the stations that *didn't* control distribution of the green tags, e.g. just having a big stack out on the counter, were potentially opening themselves up to a fraudulent "lost bag" claim -- passenger grabs an extra tag without putting it on a corresponding bag, shows up on the other end with the stub/receipt portion of the tag while their imaginary bag is "lost" and...

That said I can't really think of any way to completely avoid that, even with the GA attaching the bag unless the tag was only issued at the point where "custody" of the bag is exchanged so not sure this policy actually gains anything (except for making sure that someone who get a tag actually has a bag... but that bag could still be boarded on the aircraft, etc.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Being one who tends to err on the paranoid side I've thought that the stations that *didn't* control distribution of the green tags, e.g. just having a big stack out on the counter, were potentially opening themselves up to a fraudulent "lost bag" claim -- passenger grabs an extra tag without putting it on a corresponding bag, shows up on the other end with the stub/receipt portion of the tag while their imaginary bag is "lost" and...

That said I can't really think of any way to completely avoid that, even with the GA attaching the bag unless the tag was only issued at the point where "custody" of the bag is exchanged so not sure this policy actually gains anything (except for making sure that someone who get a tag actually has a bag... but that bag could still be boarded on the aircraft, etc.
Half the time, they don't hand me the stub, so I can't imagine that there is tight control on these things anywhere.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
You do know that even when you self tag in lobby, the tag isn’t activated until and agent activates it. Same thing (they are also checking size and weight.)
Would that be why the GA frequently insists on putting a new tag even though there's a perfectly good one already on the bag? (For which I"ve scanned the tracking number into my phone so I don't worry about losing the little "receipt" tag)
Kannai likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've never run into this - usually prior to boarding I just go to the desk and ask for a tag and I've always been handed one without a fuss - one less thing for the agent to bother with.
When I tried this for a UX flight out of IAD earlier this month, the agent said they had to attached them as you were boarding. I heard a bit of discussion between the agents as this was a new policy, as one of them made an announcement about picking up green tags and had that countermanded a few minutes later.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Ran into it most at EWR. One agent there insisted on scanning the green tag on the BP scanner before attaching it to the bag.
... and if this gets the barcode attached to your PNR as you're boarding, I don't see that as a bad thing at all. Positive bag match + tracking, in case it gets left on the tarmac or in the jetbridge or something.

Those things can (and do) happen, as rare as they should be ...
Old May 31, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I reuse tags, and probably have an extra 20 or so laying around that have never been used, but I use them as needed. Often times I'm expecting full overhead bins, so I try for that first, and if its full I add the tag and bring it back in the jetway. Rarely does a GA of FA care if I at least try. My rollerboard is actually pretty small, so much so it fits under the seat in front of me when I'm doing 1 or 2 day trips. But it's only COS that gets silly about the tags, and only with a few agents. The rest leave a pile of them for self install.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... and if this gets the barcode attached to your PNR as you're boarding, I don't see that as a bad thing at all. Positive bag match + tracking, in case it gets left on the tarmac or in the jetbridge or something.

Those things can (and do) happen, as rare as they should be ...
Maybe they were getting some phony lost bag claims - people taking tags for bags that didn't exist and then filing a lost bag claim on arrival.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I was on the same flight on Tuesday and on arrival in yyc they said the green tag bags will come out in the belt

after all the bags were gone off the #1 belt , about 10 min went bumpy before they announced the Gran tag bags will be in th oversized pickup on the other side of belt 4

total gong show
probably a different flight. My bag was received on the jet bridge. Although our embarrassment of an international terminal is a discussion for another day. The lines for customs were absolutely insane when I arrived. I guess you can’t expect too much for $2bn of taxpayer money these days.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by david_oz

probably a different flight. My bag was received on the jet bridge. Although our embarrassment of an international terminal is a discussion for another day. The lines for customs were absolutely insane when I arrived. I guess you can’t expect too much for $2bn of taxpayer money these days.
sorry I meant the same flight as in the route on Tuesday , denver to calgary , I wasn’t on your flight ,
Old May 31, 2019, 5:46 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Green (valet) tags? Or just the full, check-to-the-final-destination tags?

I can only remember one person (a gate agent at ORD) saying that she needed to green-tag my bag herself. Generally, if the agent isn't busy, I will approach the podium prior to boarding and request one, in order to expedite the process later. I've also seen agents proactively distribute them around the gate area.
I affix all tags for the reasons I already mentioned. It IS in a Shares profile as well, that it is UA policy to tag them ourselves and to not leave them out. If I wasn’t in the middle of vacation, I’d look it up. It’s something like “gg bag uax” or “gg bag gate”. I reverify the policy every few months to make sure I’m still acting in compliance
Old May 31, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair

I affix all tags for the reasons I already mentioned. It IS in a Shares profile as well, that it is UA policy to tag them ourselves and to not leave them out. If I wasn’t in the middle of vacation, I’d look it up. It’s something like “gg bag uax” or “gg bag gate”. I reverify the policy every few months to make sure I’m still acting in compliance
No worries — enjoy your vacation. I was just surprised because that’s so rarely been my experience.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
IME this process has a lot of variability. Some agents will walk around the boarding area and affix the tags, some will wait until boarding and affix the tags, and some will just put a stack on the podium and request that people come up and get them. I can only recall a handful of times where I proactively asked for a green tag and the agent said they would affix it. Additionally, I'm not sure what the policy is for ground crew to scan the tags before loading; I've seen it about 50/50 (could be done at a different point in the process that I don't see). Like most things, YMMV with this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
OO in DTW

Originally Posted by david_oz
Skywest was the operator if that helps
IME in DTW on DL code-shares with SkyWest, the GA says it's a "TSA regulation," because these tags (pink for DL) are "security documents."
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AKC6
because these tags (pink for DL) are "security documents."
Which is, in itself, a true statement. These tags indicate whether a bag in the hold has been through TSA security, and thus control whether it can be returned plane-side or not.

However controlling who attaches the tags has zero security benefit, especially when the tags are not removed at the destination.

The part that I'm sure TSA cares about is that no checked bags ever make it onto the plane with a green tag on them - but that would obviously be a function of the checkin/baggage staff, not the gate agents.

The only real reason I can see for forcing them to be attached by a gate agent is that it likely increases the chances they are put on properly (at least for those not familiar with the tags) which potentially reduces the chances of one coming off during loading/unloading, at which point you've got a problem as far as where the bag needs to be delivered.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
IME this process has a lot of variability. Some agents will walk around the boarding area and affix the tags, some will wait until boarding and affix the tags, and some will just put a stack on the podium and request that people come up and get them. I can only recall a handful of times where I proactively asked for a green tag and the agent said they would affix it.
I can recall one time at my local airport when I proactively asked for a green tag and the agent was very unhappy. It was not the right time to ask for it. Fifteen minutes later, she did the rounds with the green tags and tagged all the luggage that needed to be tagged. My excuse: it was my first time flying out of that airport since I had just moved there. But it was also the only agent that ever reacted like that since three years later I can say that I have requested some green tags at the wrong time and the agents had no problem providing them. Usually, the agents just ask at the time of boarding if you need a green tag. If you say that you already have one, they are happy with it and don't force you to change the green tags. I have 4 different rollaboards that I use for my short trips depending on how many days I travel. When I come home, I just leave the receipt part on top of them. When I leave, I put that receipt part in my wallet. I change tags when they start getting broken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.