Gate agent now has to attach green tag?

Old Jun 1, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Nexus
OO in DTW

Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
Skywest was the operator if that helps
IME in DTW on DL code-shares with SkyWest, the GA says it's a "TSA regulation," because these tags (pink for DL) are "security documents."
Old Jun 1, 19, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by AKC6 View Post
because these tags (pink for DL) are "security documents."
Which is, in itself, a true statement. These tags indicate whether a bag in the hold has been through TSA security, and thus control whether it can be returned plane-side or not.

However controlling who attaches the tags has zero security benefit, especially when the tags are not removed at the destination.

The part that I'm sure TSA cares about is that no checked bags ever make it onto the plane with a green tag on them - but that would obviously be a function of the checkin/baggage staff, not the gate agents.

The only real reason I can see for forcing them to be attached by a gate agent is that it likely increases the chances they are put on properly (at least for those not familiar with the tags) which potentially reduces the chances of one coming off during loading/unloading, at which point you've got a problem as far as where the bag needs to be delivered.
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post
IME this process has a lot of variability. Some agents will walk around the boarding area and affix the tags, some will wait until boarding and affix the tags, and some will just put a stack on the podium and request that people come up and get them. I can only recall a handful of times where I proactively asked for a green tag and the agent said they would affix it.
I can recall one time at my local airport when I proactively asked for a green tag and the agent was very unhappy. It was not the right time to ask for it. Fifteen minutes later, she did the rounds with the green tags and tagged all the luggage that needed to be tagged. My excuse: it was my first time flying out of that airport since I had just moved there. But it was also the only agent that ever reacted like that since three years later I can say that I have requested some green tags at the wrong time and the agents had no problem providing them. Usually, the agents just ask at the time of boarding if you need a green tag. If you say that you already have one, they are happy with it and don't force you to change the green tags. I have 4 different rollaboards that I use for my short trips depending on how many days I travel. When I come home, I just leave the receipt part on top of them. When I leave, I put that receipt part in my wallet. I change tags when they start getting broken.
Old Jun 1, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bluepig1 View Post
I was told the same on a recent CRJ-200 flight between ORD and MDT (can't recall if this was on the outbound or return, but I think it was operated by SkyWest) - I boarded late at the end of the boarding process and despite having a small carryon that would normally fit in the small overhead bins, the bins in First Class were full. The gate agent told me she had to affix the green tag.
You were on a CRJ-200 with First Class? I didn't think they existed.
Old Jun 1, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
You were on a CRJ-200 with First Class? I didn't think they existed.
Special treatment for GS.......

Just kidding. It must have been a CRJ-700.
bluepig1 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Which is, in itself, a true statement. These tags indicate whether a bag in the hold has been through TSA security, and thus control whether it can be returned plane-side or not.
Are you sure? I ask because until not that long ago - maybe 3 years ago, maybe 5, AC didnít use any tags on their regional equipment, you just left it at the gate (and essentially hoped it made it on the plane, because there was no tracking document if it didnít). This includes on Canada-US and vv flights, and bags were always handed back to me on arrival planeside.
Old Jun 1, 19, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
I (gate agent) always affix them myself. I look for all the things listed on the DoT sign at each podium that whoever accepts the bag is supposed to be looking for. Smart bags, condensation (sign there may be dry ice in bag) leaking fluids. I also check for existing damage. It takes about the same 1.5 seconds that affixing the tag does. You do know that even when you self tag in lobby, the tag isn’t activated until and agent activates it. Same thing (they are also checking size and weight.)
Thank you, fastair. I always appreciate (all) your insider answers. This one perplexes me. I am unfamiliar with the green tags being activated, and wonder if it's a step that I haven't been aware of. IME, the only system that keeps track is my brain, and the only documentation is the matching ends.
Old Jun 2, 19, 5:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
Thank you, fastair. I always appreciate (all) your insider answers. This one perplexes me. I am unfamiliar with the green tags being activated, and wonder if it's a step that I haven't been aware of. IME, the only system that keeps track is my brain, and the only documentation is the matching ends.
green tags donít get activated (they do get scanned) Itís the ďself tagĒ in the lobby that do
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
Yesterday, GA asked if I just wanted to keep my old green tag on my gate-checked roll-aboard but she had the new tag on the handle by the time she noticed the old one so it was kind of moot.
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
I recently did UX DEN-STL (I can't remember which direction). I asked GA for a green tag. She looked very busy. She quickly gave me one and said, "I'm supposed to do it, but I trust you."
Old Jun 7, 19, 12:29 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Maybe they were getting some phony lost bag claims - people taking tags for bags that didn't exist and then filing a lost bag claim on arrival.
It would have to be scanned by the ground crew to have a legit chance of being shown to have been on the flight, right?

What is the 'propper' way to attach a green tag? I do it on the top handle for a roll on, actually, the handle that extends since my brief is sitting on the true handle.

I used to fly almost only UX flights. This year, it is almost all UA metal.
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:03 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH View Post
As a CLE flyer, I find that 50% of the agents want to affix the tags themselves. No real rhyme or reason but some just won't let you put them on yourselves while others are more than happy to let you do it.
It makes sense for them to do it. I find the tags are very very fragile. Mine usually fall off halfway down the jetbridge. So frustrating.
Xyzzy and silverforumsurf like this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:54 pm

Programs: Avios, Mileage Plus, Elevate, Skywards
I was on an UAX flight in mid-May from SEA-LAX and prior to boarding, they made the typical statement carry-on bags won’t fit and will need to be put into hold. I witnessed the gate agent handing out the green tags to the pax to install themselves they headed down the jet bridge. I thought that was peculiarly as I always thought the agents strictly had to.