FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   EWR storms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1971849-ewr-storms.html)

buckeyefanflyer May 29, 2019 3:37 pm

EWR storms

Line of severe thunderstorms approaching EWR going to be a long night there. Seeing many diversions 2 777’s from China landed CLE plus a 757 from LAX.

narvik May 29, 2019 4:26 pm

Yikes.

We had severe thunderstorm warnings with alerts going off all yesterday and today in the Poconos (about 100 miles from EWR) .
Turned out to be nothing more than heavy rain and some lightning.
Nothing extraordinary; but the again, nothing extraordinary is required for EWR to go into to full melt-down mode.

FlyerWx May 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Yikes indeed.1 Arrival and 1 Departure in the last hour :eek:

It looks like tomorrow there may also be storms passing through region in the afternoon/evening.

PsiFighter37 May 29, 2019 5:02 pm

My AC metal YYZ-EWR flight at 2:50pm was canceled about an hour after I took off from YYG on the way to YYZ. Ended up rebooking to the first flight tomorrow morning, since I feared that I would end up spending the entire day at the airport watching rolling delays and get canceled on later. I also have zero status on AC (don’t think *G helps me at all, and this is AC plated), so I didn’t want to run the risk of falling behind everyone else if that did occur, especially since AC originally decided it would be logical to rebook me on a midday flight tomorrow. Heck of a way to start my first day back at work after a couple weeks off...with a 4:30am wakeup! :(

LIH May 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Was on UA577 SFO > EWR today, diverted to IAD after holding for EWR for 2 hours. Supposedly they’re going to EWR on an 8PM departure now but I hopped at IAD as the purpose of my trip was largely in vain at that point. Fly home to Chicago from DCA tomorrow. Another big assist from the GS desk to work with me.

SS255 May 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31151198)
Yikes.

We had severe thunderstorm warnings with alerts going off all yesterday and today in the Poconos (about 100 miles from EWR) .
Nothing extraordinary; but the again, nothing extraordinary is required for EWR to go into to full melt-down mode.

Tornado watch in the Poconos now. I’m not sure how close to EWR the tornado watch is, but I can’t imagine it would be pleasant to fly through that. My parents Are trying to get from CLT-AVP. They boarded, then de-boarded, then re-boarded, and supposedly are taking off shortly.

PsiFighter37 May 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 31151497)
Tornado watch in the Poconos now. I’m not sure how close to EWR the tornado watch is, but I can’t imagine it would be pleasant to fly through that. My parents Are trying to get from CLT-AVP. They boarded, then de-boarded, then re-boarded, and supposedly are taking off shortly.

I saw the tornado watches earlier as well, which informed my decision not to bother trying to re-route to PHL (or BWI/DC), which would have been my backup plan.

wxguy May 29, 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31151198)
Yikes.

The NYC Terminal area is one of the busiest in the world, with JFK, LGA, EWR, HPN, ISP, TEB, etc. You have to look at the big picture: Lines of severe storms hundreds of miles from EWR (or where you are observing the weather) will severely reduce capacity -- with all planes for all airports, both arriving and departing, vying for the same airspace. You could have "severe clear" at EWR and your house, but the airspace system hosed due to storms along the flight paths.

narvik May 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 31151497)

Sorry to hear. I avoid flying into AVP for exactly this reason.

I took this picture last night just a few dozen miles from AVP.
I believe the Tornado warning was still in effect . It was raining and lightning an hour earlier:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a8c26e00f6.jpg

aCavalierInCoach May 29, 2019 6:42 pm

No wx in Boston but lots of delays, and a number of diversions including 85 from TLV. Crews from all the diversions are illegal and replacements are coming in from IAD and EWR, their own flights of course delayed.

goodeats21 May 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Flights tomorrow are already being impacted.

My 6AM DAY->EWR was cancelled several hours ago. Only rebooking options are for a 7PM arrival. One day shot....

Not my week to travel.

Zorak May 29, 2019 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31151687)
Flights tomorrow are already being impacted.

My 6AM DAY->EWR was cancelled several hours ago. Only rebooking options are for a 7PM arrival. One day shot....

Not my week to travel.

Or be at home, apparently! Hope you weren't affected by the tornado activity...

aCavalierInCoach May 29, 2019 10:22 pm

BOS ops falling apart... inbound aircraft for 1163 landed shorty after 11, didn’t get to gate (blocked) until close to midnight. Now 1220 and not boarding because there are no cleaners and gate agents can’t haul anyone at ops. Current sfo arrival
time of 4AM definitely going to get busted. Pathetic.

arttravel May 29, 2019 10:45 pm

The rain and wind were very bad this evening in NYC massive dump of heavy rain and wind— there was a tornado watch in the area — the weather service confirmed that a tornado of unknown strength hit NJ on Tuesday, not heard of anything similar today.

I thought about going to an event at 6 pm and it was not going to happen— it was scheduled on a roof — and moved before it even started.

aCavalierInCoach May 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Failure to locate a gate resulted in inbound 1163 to Boston sitting on the tarmac for c.45 minutes. Cleaners then unable to be located. First global services pax gets through gate before captain comes up to say crew is going illegal in ten minutes. Now we are sitting around with no gate agents present, no communication, and no seats available until at least tomorrow night. What a Charlie Foxtrot.