Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR storms

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by narvik
Yikes.

We had severe thunderstorm warnings with alerts going off all yesterday and today in the Poconos (about 100 miles from EWR) .
Turned out to be nothing more than heavy rain and some lightning.
Nothing extraordinary; but the again, nothing extraordinary is required for EWR to go into to full melt-down mode.
While that maybe true where you were. There was a Tornado 30 miles west of EWR. Then to add insult to injury there was a tornado warning with rotation spotted in Parsippany (16-18 miles west of EWR) that was traveling down 280 right towards EWR. The area of concern got so close (as in 3 miles away) they almost evacuated the tower. So it was extra-ordinary.

There were more tornado warnings today in NJ. Tornado watches are one thing but two days in a row with warnings in NJ I can’t remember the last time thats happened.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by LIH
Was on UA577 SFO > EWR today, diverted to IAD after holding for EWR for 2 hours. Supposedly they’re going to EWR on an 8PM departure now but I hopped at IAD as the purpose of my trip was largely in vain at that point. Fly home to Chicago from DCA tomorrow. Another big assist from the GS desk to work with me.
flight time was something like 7:30. I was tracking that on Flightradar24. They must’ve been getting low on fuel. Any idea? 3 hours more than normal.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
EWR ops were a complete disaster Tuesday night. Evening flight had a 9 hour rolling delay - weather then mechanical - with terrible communication on the part of the gate agents. People were going nuts and screaming / taking video of the agents who were not making life any easier for themselves.

At around 3AM when it became clear that we were not taking off anytime soon, people started asking for hotel vouchers, and the gate agents told them that the only hotels available were over an hour away and that they would need to wait in a 1-2hr long line at the Customer Service desk to even inquire about a hotel voucher. Overwhelmed by the crowd of angry passengers, the gate agents said they would only talk to / try to accommodate 1K / GS passengers. All others would need to go to CS desk.

The other UGS on my flight were very pissed off that no one from GS was there to help. When a gold scarf agent finally showed up around 6am, they really let her have it.

Determined not to spend the whole night at the airport, I ventured back into Manhattan for a couple hours of sleep. UGS phone agent says I should be able to submit receipts for those for a reimbursement - we’ll see how easy that turns out to be.
narvik likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW (not UA related, but it's the same storm) I was flying AS JFK-SFO. After sitting on the tarmac for a while, our takeoff corridor was closed, reopened, and re-closed. We went back to the gate to for more fuel (planning a longer flight path, I think) and while parked at the gate, a BA plane was pushing back and clipped our wing.

Flight cancelled, and I'm also back in Manhattan for the night. Checked back into the same hotel I had just checked out of, had some very spicy sichuan food in Chinatown, and currently smoking a cigar a Hudson Bar & Books There are worse places to be stuck for the night, I suppose. It would be nice if those BA pilots would watch where they are going, though. Cost me a F upgrade...
RunningforMiles and wrp96 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
UA1163 now delayed 13hours to tomorrow morning for crew rest. For everything that was going on, this was a total footfault on United's part and completely avoidable. Of course, no hotels left in the Boston area.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Just an example of the impact flight 513 from DEN diverted to BDL sat there almost 8 hours.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Would be prepared for more trouble today...forecast showing high probability of thunderstorms for the exact same timeframe today.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Zorak
Or be at home, apparently! Hope you weren't affected by the tornado activity...
True enough. I didn't get any damage, though some colleagues' homes were hit. No injuries though, for which everyone is thankful.
13 tornadoes in total on Monday in Dayton area, including 3 that were EF3s. Crazy.

Fingers crossed and safe travels to everyone trying again today....
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:56 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theboss7593

flight time was something like 7:30. I was tracking that on Flightradar24. They must’ve been getting low on fuel. Any idea? 3 hours more than normal.
Crew didn't make a specific reference to fuel but it was my assumption that this is why we diverted to IAD after holding over EWR for that long. I am at least appreciative that they took us to IAD where I could exit stage left instead of BDL or SYR which the captain referenced as the other options. There was a bit of friction getting the FAs and IAD GAs to let me disembark despite being already re-booked out of DCA for today. Flight deck and cabin crew dealt with the bad situation as well as could be expected. Lots of onward INTL connections out of EWR from that 772 I would guess, was due to get in at 3:50PM which is probably a good connection for the TATL overnight bank of flights.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
I was supposed to fly Tuesday night from EWR to DCA in First on an Embraer scheduled at 8:30. Then delayed to 9:45, then delayed to 10:30; then delayed to 11:30, then 11:50, then 11:59 and then it actually boarded! Alas, once we were boarded, the captain informed us that DCA was now closed and the flight was cancelled. Fortunately, Hyatt found me a room nearby so I actually had a decent night's sleep.

1K desk rebooked me on a 10AM flight Wednesday morning from EWR to IAD on a 737. When I arrived for that flight, however, it turned out that they were using a 767 with lie-flat seats, which I enjoyed greatly for all 39 minutes of the flight. Surprisingly the flight was full. Must have been other cancelled flights on smaller planes all lumped together.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UAL: 1K; MAR: T
I scored a CPU on UA1750 to ATL, now debating if I should go to newark earlier try to catch 568
Old May 30, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593
So it was extra-ordinary.
Agree.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
this was a total footfault on United's part and completely avoidable.
Disagree.

Of course, no hotels left in the Boston area.
Definitely United's fault!
Collierkr likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh

Disagree.

Definitely United's fault!

Would you care to elaborate on why you disagree that the situation was entirely avoidable

As for the hotels, if someone at United had said "hey, for whatever reason, we can't get this plane into a gate for another 45 minutes, and then we aren't going to be able to turn it for an hour because of (whatever), and so there is obviously a 100% chance half our cabin crew is going to time out", I would have been able to secure a hotel last night rather than in Terminal B. That is a fact. Maybe I could've even gotten out if they had stated looking for reserves at before 1:00AM, but I doubt it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2019 at 9:44 pm Reason: Let's keep the discussion civil
Old May 30, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Would you care to elaborate on why you disagree that the situation was entirely avoidable,

As for the hotels, if someone at United had said "hey, for whatever reason, we can't get this plane into a gate for another 45 minutes, and then we aren't going to be able to turn it for an hour because of (whatever), and so there is obviously a 100% chance half our cabin crew is going to time out", I would have been able to secure a hotel last night rather than in Terminal B. That is a fact. Maybe I could've even gotten out if they had stated looking for reserves at before 1:00AM, but I doubt it.
Big picture, thunderstorms and tornadoes shut down a huge swath of air space in the northeast, including one of their biggest hubs. No airline can handle that without delays and cancellations.

Small picture, they may have thought they could get it blocked in in way less than 45 minutes; they may have had reason to believe they could turn it before the crew went illegal; they may have had other crew lined up that didn't materialize for whatever reason (e.g. their inbounds got irropsed); they may have had crew assigned to the flight that got pulled for another flight; they may have expected to pull crew from another flight; they may have still been working their way through the reserves list and weren't sure of the crew situation yet. Point is, we don't know.

And there's also the possibility that they've never seen a thunderstorm before and are completely incompetent. But I'm inclined to believe they were doing their best and it didn't sort itself out in your favor this time.

I guess your frustration that the GA left (while GS were boarding?) is real, but sounds like they were dealing with inbound diversions and a bunch of delays and if the GA stepped away to deal with another flight while ops decided what to do with your flight, that seems like a good move.

And they certainly don't run the hotels or have control over Boston's hotel capacity or occupancy rate. They told you it was cancelled when they knew it would be cancelled. This idea that United knows they are going to cancel a flight and then keep it on the books to frustrate passengers is the worst kind of assumption and is unfounded.
SteveHK likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2019 at 9:44 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 30, 2019, 12:59 pm

Small picture, they may have thought they could get it blocked in in way less than 45 minutes; they may have had reason to believe they could turn it before the crew went illegal; they may have had other crew lined up that didn't materialize for whatever reason (e.g. their inbounds got irropsed); they may have had crew assigned to the flight that got pulled for another flight; they may have expected to pull crew from another flight; they may have still been working their way through the reserves list and weren't sure of the crew situation yet. Point is, we don't know.
Saying they thought they could but they didn't doesn't make the operations failure "out of their control" -- I get there were irrops, I get there were diversions (which had long cleared when the worst of this situation developed), but I don't get that conditions in Newark give the team on the ground in Boston carte blanche to throw their hands in the air and say we can't do basic things like turn a 757 within 2 hours of its landing. The ramp wasn't congested, there were multiple gates open, and the entire operation was down to its last few arrivals and departures. FWIW, we do in fact know they weren't making their way through the reserves this earlier because the gate agent told us so, and all of us at the gate heard the gate agent make a the call to ops asking what to do.
I guess your frustration that the GA left (while GS were boarding?) is real, but sounds like they were dealing with inbound diversions and a bunch of delays and if the GA stepped away to deal with another flight while ops decided what to do with your flight, that seems like a good move.
The various delayed inbounds and diversions had already cleared.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2019 at 9:47 pm Reason: Let's keep the discussions civil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.