FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Using green card on United kiosk traveling to Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1971652-using-green-card-united-kiosk-traveling-canada.html)

Nayef May 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Using green card on United kiosk traveling to Canada

Hello,

I just flew to Canada on United, and during the check-in process at the kiosk, I put United States when I asked for country of residence, but it didn't ask me to put my green card info or anything. During online check-in, I was only asked if I had a visa or an eTA, and I chose the latter. Still didn't ask me to input a number or anything. After asking me to scan my passport, the kiosk still asked me to scan a visa. So I scanned my green card and it didn't go through.

I was in a rush (and there were other people waiting) and I forgot to ask the employee what to do about this if there's anything to do.

Has anyone had any similar issue with their green card? And is there a way to get it through the kiosk, or do I just have to line-up and have an employee do it every time?

Aussienarelle May 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31146570)
Hello,

I just flew to Canada on United, and during the check-in process at the kiosk, I put United States when I asked for country of residence, but it didn't ask me to put my green card info or anything. During online check-in, I was only asked if I had a visa or an eTA, and I chose the latter. Still didn't ask me to input a number or anything. After asking me to scan my passport, the kiosk still asked me to scan a visa. So I scanned my green card and it didn't go through.

I was in a rush (and there were other people waiting) and I forgot to ask the employee what to do about this if there's anything to do.

Has anyone had any similar issue with their green card? And is there a way to get it through the kiosk, or do I just have to line-up and have an employee do it every time?

I think you may be confusing two issues.

I was surprised when I went to Vancouver at Christmas. Canada now requires me to have an eTA. As an Australian citizen I do not need a Visa for Canada but did need to register with Canada for travel to Canada and receive an eTA. It is a Canadian document that I was able to get online.

It has nothing to do with your green card which allows you entry to the USA.

Nayef May 28, 2019 1:14 pm

My issue isn't the eTA, which I have and it's fine. The issue is checking in and getting a boarding pass through the United automated kiosk to Canada or anywhere else that's visa-free for green card holders. I wasn't able to scan my green card because the kiosk asked me to scan a visa, even though I specified "eTA" instead of "visa" whenever I was asked about it.

hirohito888 May 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31146598)

OP, as a green card holder (and assuming non-Canadian citizen/permanent resident), requires eTA to enter Canada.

Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. They must present a valid Green Card and a valid passport at check-in.
I'm not eligible for eTA so I can't help OP or comment on what UA requires.

Aussienarelle May 28, 2019 1:30 pm

I flew to Toronto last week and needed to have my passport details for checking in for the flights to Canada which is already in the UA system. The eTA was already in the system from my December flight. I did not need to input my GC details for travel to Canada as Canada only cares about my non-US passport and the eTA issued by them.

For my return from Canada to the USA OLCI required my GC details which are already in the UA system.

GC is irrelevant to Canada.

jsloan May 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31146598)
I was surprised when I went to Vancouver at Christmas. Canada now requires me to have an eTA. As an Australian citizen I do not need a Visa for Canada but did need to register with Canada for travel to Canada and receive an eTA. It is a Canadian document that I was able to get online.

The thing is, though. OP likely has a passport which requires a visa to visit Canada. That visa requirement is then likely waived for green card holders. You didn't run into any issues because Australians are allowed visa-free entry to Canada.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31146786)
GC is irrelevant to Canada.

That is definitely not true across the board. For example, my wife needed a visa to visit Canada prior to getting her green card. After that, she needed to show her green card but no longer needed a visa.

Aussienarelle May 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31146792)
The thing is, though. OP likely has a passport which requires a visa to visit Canada. That visa requirement is then likely waived for green card holders. You didn't run into any issues because Australians are allowed visa-free entry to Canada.

But I needed to have an eTA when I went in December. New requirement as previously I did not need anything from the Canadian government because, as you point out, I have a passport issued by a Commonwealth country (Australia).

So you need either need a Visa for Canada, or if Visa is not required you still need an eTA which is not the GC.

I needed the eTA again last week.

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31146705)
My issue isn't the eTA, which I have and it's fine. The issue is checking in and getting a boarding pass through the United automated kiosk to Canada or anywhere else that's visa-free for green card holders. I wasn't able to scan my green card because the kiosk asked me to scan a visa, even though I specified "eTA" instead of "visa" whenever I was asked about it.

TBH, I have never used my GC for Visa free entry (except the USA). Which countries allow Visa free entry for GC holders?

For all international flights UA always requests my passport details at OLCI to receive my BP.

(I learn something new all the time of FT.)

Nayef May 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31146806)
But I needed to have an eTA when I went in December. New requirement as previously I did not need anything from the Canadian government because, as you point out, I have a passport issued by a Commonwealth country (Australia).

So you need either need a Visa for Canada, or if Visa is not required you still need an eTA which is not the GC.

As I said before, I already have an eTA. I’ve had one since it was introduced in 2016. The kiosk didn’t ask me to input an eTA number or anything like that. And usually you scan a visa or a green card, and Canada is visa-free for green card holders (provided their passport doesn’t already give them visa-free privileges to Canada). So I do have an eTA but that didn’t solve my original problem.

hirohito888 May 28, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31146806)

That's not entirely correct. If you are from visa-exempt country, you will need eTA. All other countries will require a visa. Only exception is if you are permanent resident of US, then you can enter Canada with eTA instead of visa.

Since Australia is visa-exempt country, Canada will just need eTA from you. If a citizen of Kenya wanted to enter Canada, he will need a visa. But if the citizen of Kenya is also a US permanent resident, then he can apply for eTA and enter Canada without visa. Hence why US permanent resident is still relevant for entering Canada.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31146819)
TBH, I have never used my GC for Visa free entry (except the USA). Which countries allow Visa free entry for GC holders?

Bahamas also allows US permanent residents to enter without visa.

Nayef May 28, 2019 1:50 pm

For all international flights UA always requests my passport details at OLCI to receive my BP.

You have an Australian passport so you’re still visa-free to Canada for six months whether you enter using a green card or your Australian passport. I’d wager your Aussie passport still gives you the same visa exemption that a green card does. You can check the list of countries that give exemptions to green card holders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawful...United_States)

fumje May 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Canada and Mexico are the major ones. There are some other Caribbean countries in addition.

JimInOhio May 28, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31146839)

As I said before, I already have an eTA. I’ve had one since it was introduced in 2016. The kiosk didn’t ask me to input an eTA number or anything like that. And usually you scan a visa or a green card, and Canada is visa-free for green card holders (provided their passport doesn’t already give them visa-free privileges to Canada). So I do have an eTA but that didn’t solve my original problem.

Could this be a case where you didn’t elect to save your official travel documents the previous time you checked in?

Nayef May 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 31146860)

Could this be a case where you didn’t elect to save your official travel documents the previous time you checked in?

My passport info was already saved in my United account, as is my NEXUS number (KTN). Though there’s no option to enter the eTA number or my green card number. Not in online check-in, not in my profile or at the airport kiosk. I think I was only asked for country of residence at the kiosk, and was given a choice to pick either “visa” or “eTA” when I tried to check in online. But despite picking eTA, the kiosk still asked me to scan a visa. When it asked me to scan my visa, I scanned my green card (there’s no barcode or anything for the eTA aside from a number that’s digitally attached to my passport) and it didn’t go through.

1P May 29, 2019 6:28 am

Two thoughts;

(1) Had your eTA expired.? You might need to renew it. It doesn't last for ever. I think three years is the max.
(2) An eTA is connected to a passport, not to a green card, so presenting a green card to the reader wil never work. Did you try scanning your passport instead?

Nayef May 29, 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by 1P (Post 31148967)
Two thoughts;

(1) Had your eTA expired.? You might need to renew it. It doesn't last for ever. I think three years is the max.
(2) An eTA is connected to a passport, not to a green card, so presenting a green card to the reader wil never work. Did you try scanning your passport instead?

1) No, it’s valid and it’s for 5 years.

2) I scanned my passport (the very one linked to the eTA) on the kiosk, which it always has to ask for, and it still asked me to scan a visa after. But the green card is still important to convey visa-free status since my passport on its own isn’t visa-free for Canada. So I believe it asked me to scan a visa because I scanned a passport that normally requires a visa to Canada.

I don’t believe the eTA is an issue because the kiosks/online check-in only asked whether I have an eTA or a visa, but didn’t ask for further details when I chose eTA. And, with United at least, the agents at the gate asked anyone who wasn’t a US citizen or Canadian citizen/permanent resident to show proof of their eTA. I showed them the eTA confirmation email in my phone.