Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using green card on United kiosk traveling to Canada

Using green card on United kiosk traveling to Canada

Old May 30, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
So I believe it asked me to scan a visa because I scanned a passport that normally requires a visa to Canada.
Yes, I believe you hit a limitation of the kiosk check-in process.

What country issued the passport you scanned?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
It's a Saudi passport, so my green card is my "visa" to Canada, so to speak.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
But I needed to have an eTA when I went in December. New requirement as previously I did not need anything from the Canadian government because, as you point out, I have a passport issued by a Commonwealth country (Australia).

So you need either need a Visa for Canada, or if Visa is not required you still need an eTA which is not the GC.

I needed the eTA again last week.

TBH, I have never used my GC for Visa free entry (except the USA). Which countries allow Visa free entry for GC holders?

For all international flights UA always requests my passport details at OLCI to receive my BP.

(I learn something new all the time of FT.)
Mexico and Costa Rica, based on personal experience. Green card holders are also allowed to transit through Schengen countries visa-free.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Does the PNR include a ticketed return leg to the US within 6 months?
Old May 30, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Mexico and Costa Rica, based on personal experience. Green card holders are also allowed to transit through Schengen countries visa-free.
Full list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawful...nent_residents
PTahCha likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozilla
Does the PNR include a ticketed return leg to the US within 6 months?
I think so? It was a 4-day return trip with separate tickets, one on United and the other on Air Canada.

As I mentioned before, this didn't hinder my ability to enter Canada itself, but United's online check-in and airport kiosk were awkward because they didn't ask to provide my eTA number or my permanent resident number, even though I entered my NEXUS card number, which conveys that I'm visa-free to Canada anyway.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2019 at 10:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 30, 2019, 3:51 pm

I think so? It was a 4-day return trip with separate tickets
Separate tickets? This may have dinged you at the kiosk. If the system was only able to see the OW to Canada, it may not accept your Green Card, as it wouldn't be valid for a stay > 6 months and the system has no way of knowing how long you will stay.

Visa required, except for Passengers with a Permanent
Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) issued by the USA
and an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). They are visa
exempt for a maximum stay of 6 months.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozilla
Separate tickets? This may have dinged you at the kiosk. If the system was only able to see the OW to Canada, it may not accept your Green Card, as it wouldn't be valid for a stay > 6 months and the system has no way of knowing how long you will stay.
I'm not completely certain because neither the online check-in nor the kiosk at any point of the process asked me at all if I had a green card even. It was the same when I flew to Toronto 3 years ago on the same airline/ticket/confirmation number for a weekend roundtrip.

Last edited by Nayef; May 30, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm not completely certain because neither the online check-in nor the kiosk at any point of the process asked me at all if I had a green card even. It was the same when I flew to Toronto 3 years ago on the same airline/ticket/confirmation number for a weekend roundtrip.
I'm confused. Why would a kiosk ask a Saudi passport holder traveling to Canada if he/she has a US Green Card?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I'm confused. Why would a kiosk ask a Saudi passport holder traveling to Canada if he/she has a US Green Card?
A green card is the quickest way to verify someone is visa-free for Canada. Since the destination is Canada, the kiosk ought to ask if non-visa-free traveler if they have a visa or a permanent residence card or something. Even TIMATIC asks what kind of residential document a traveler has if they put in a country of residence that doesn't match their nationality. If you put USA as country of residence on there (or any other country of residence, really), one of the options to choose from under is the green card. It's one of the quickest ways to ensure someone is visa-free for Canada.

The check-in process for United and the airport kiosk ask about country of residence, which I put as USA, but afterward they doesn't ask to input anything further, yet TIMATIC does.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
potentially since the entry requirements to Canada for a traveler holding just a Saudi passport vs. those holding a Saudi passport and US green card are different? And UA needs to at some point before boarding ensure that the traveler is meeting the specific requirements?

Before someone asks how many Saudi passport holders with green cards are traveling on UA to Canada to make this an issue, don’t forget, that ‘Saudi’ can be replaced with [other country that requires a visa for Canada], and that universe gets a whole lot larger.

Now maybe it’s easier to default so that these folks get ‘see an agent’. But assuming UA kiosks (or the app) can handle accepting ETA info, why wouldn’t it?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe

potentially since the entry requirements to Canada for a traveler holding just a Saudi passport vs. those holding a Saudi passport and US green card are different? And UA needs to at some point before boarding ensure that the traveler is meeting the specific requirements?

Before someone asks how many Saudi passport holders with green cards are traveling on UA to Canada to make this an issue, don’t forget, that ‘Saudi’ can be replaced with [other country that requires a visa for Canada], and that universe gets a whole lot larger.

Now maybe it’s easier to default so that these folks get ‘see an agent’. But assuming UA kiosks (or the app) can handle accepting ETA info, why wouldn’t it?
This really is the crux of what I'm getting at. Other airlines (from the little remember) allow travelers to input their green card numbers or even eTA.

So I was wondering if anyone in my situation was able to streamline the process or if it turns out I used the kiosk incorrectly or something.

I did send an email to United about this, but it'll probably be a while before I hear anything from them. I doubt there's anything current I can do to circumvent needing to see an agent when checking in for a flight to Canada, which can be a pain if the lines are too long.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe

Okay, I understand that element of the process. However, these kiosks are checking in people traveling to who knows how many countries around the world. Certainly not just Canada. So this GC issue for a non-visa waiver national still seems like a small item in the big scheme of things... one that a real agent might be best to handle.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I understand that element of the process. However, these kiosks are checking in people traveling to who knows how many countries around the world. Certainly not just Canada. So this GC issue for a non-visa waiver national still seems like a small item in the big scheme of things... one that a real agent might be best to handle.
Since the flight was headed to Canada, I assumed the process would highlight the requirements for that specific destination. Even when I went to the bag drop and the agent came in and put her employee number on or something on the kiosk that was refusing to check me in, TIMATIC requirements showed up. I showed her the green card and I told her I have an eTA (she didn't ask for proof of the eTA but I was asked for it at the gate itself).

Either way, I'm glad my NEXUS card makes things a bit easier and I can hardly wait to get US citizenship so this hassle can be mitigated.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2019 at 10:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 31, 2019, 9:53 am

Either way, I'm glad my NEXUS card makes things a bit easier and I can hardly wait to get US citizenship so this hassle can be mitigated.
Yes, I'm sure the #1 perk of gaining U.S. citizenship will be using the kiosks to check in for United flights to Canada!
Nayef likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.