Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aegean Airlines (A3) award booking experiences using United miles

Aegean Airlines (A3) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Jun 5, 16, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
unable to book A3 I inventory

I have a complex award ticket already booked that involves an intra-European Aegean segment on a 320. The entire itinerary is booked into business with the exception of this single segment. While the 2-3 hour flight in intra-European business is nothing to write home about, the blocked middle is certainly better than 3-abreast in Y, plus I've paid for business and I'd just assume get the marginally better experience.

United can't/won't let me book into I inventory on this segment even though I know it is available (ua.com, ANA, etc). I can only get them to book X. This held true for a different A3 segment as well (different star hub to same destination; I am connecting to this segment so connect point is somewhat arbitrary). When I asked a second agent about this she went for help, and came back about 10 minutes later saying that "this segment isn't covered by our agreement with Aegean, probably because they charge bank for this route." I agree that this is likely a bit of a moneymaker for Aegean, but it is news to me that Star Alliance carriers not named SQ are blocking subsets of inventory like this.

For reference, the flights that I had trouble with are all intra-European flights into HER (bypassing ATH).
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Will Aegean interline bags with UA award ticket? Bag allowance?

So I’m flying ATH-FRA-ORD On a paid UA ticket using a GPU from FRA to ORD. All cleared all good.

On in the same flights is my 17 year old daughter burning up 155,000 miles. We are next to each other FRA to ORD.

Today, FRA to ORD opened up for 60,000 miles and I can buy the ATH-FRA ticket for $170.

Do i I do this? I worry that the Aegean agent at the airport may not ticket her and her luggage thru. Worse, my daughter might not get the 3 bag/70lb allowance.

But man, to get 95,000 miles back for $170 sounds good.
Old Jul 31, 18, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
So I’m flying ATH-FRA-ORD On a paid UA ticket using a GPU from FRA to ORD. All cleared all good.

On in the same flights is my 17 year old daughter burning up 155,000 miles. We are next to each other FRA to ORD.

Today, FRA to ORD opened up for 60,000 miles and I can buy the ATH-FRA ticket for $170.

Do i I do this? I worry that the Aegean agent at the airport may not ticket her and her luggage thru. Worse, my daughter might not get the 3 bag/70lb allowance.

If I am understanding this correctly, your daughter will be on a separate ticket as a revenue customer on the ATH->FRA leg. So her baggage allowance would be based on that airlines policies along with any status she has (ie if Star Gold applies).
The Aegean agent will ticket her...why wouldn't they? But getting luggage checked through represents a risk....have you looked into the Aegean forum to get some insights into practical experience?
You also run the risk of mis-connect, as she is on a separate ticket. How much of a time buffer do you have to catch the FRA->ORD flight?

We can lay out some considerations, but this will come down to how risk-adverse you want to be. Travelling with 17 year old daughter internationally on separate tickets? How seasoned of a traveler is she...?
Old Jul 31, 18, 8:21 am

She is seasoned however you have now pointed out enough risk to not do it.

Thank you!!
Old Jul 31, 18, 8:32 am

She is seasoned however you have now pointed out enough risk to not do it.

Thank you!!
You would spend 90k miles to avoid spending $170 and the need to go airside in FRA to get a piece of luggage? I know the security in Germany is... demanding, but you're probably going to be doing it anyway given a likely need to change terminal and/or get a remote stand. Do you really need 6 bags at 35kilos?
AceReport likes this.
Old Jul 31, 18, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
UA should check her bags through to ATH. A3 may charge you for them.

People fly separate tickets all the time.
Old Jul 31, 18, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
MY question is whether or not there is saver award available for ATH-FRA. You will probably get better answers from A3 forum although there are more UA travelers here. Good luck.
BTW, there is a lot of miles that you are talking about.
Old Jul 31, 18, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
I would do it in a heartbeat. That is a LOT of miles to save. No brainer to me.
Old Jul 31, 18, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as you book a ticket which has enough transfer time at FRA to permit your daughter to clear immigration, customs, check-in with UA, and security, the only risk is IRROPS. If A3 cancels or is subsrtantially delayed, A3 will have no obligation to rebook her for her TATL segment and she is on her own. Hoperfully UA will help out, but it has no obligation to do so.

So, for 95K miles, the worst scenario is avoided with a lengthy transfer time (do not think about connections and MCT, think about reasonable worst cases). On the cost side, you pay $170 and likely a bag fee whether A3 checks across tickets or not.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "A3 not ticketing" your daughter. You will presumably have ticketed.
Old Jul 31, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I too would take the risk in a heartbeat. 95,000 is a lot of miles.
Old Jul 31, 18, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If FRA-ORD is now open, try switching her current reservation. It may not work, if ATH-FRA is no longer available, but it's worth trying.

Worse, my daughter might not get the 3 bag/70lb allowance.
Your daughter already wasn't going to get a 3x70lb allowance, unless she has *G status (and possibly not even then). You may not either. Is this a return flight of an itinerary originating in the US? Your allowance is going to be based upon the first marketing carrier of your flight. 3x70lb for 1K only applies when you're checking luggage in with UA.
Old Aug 2, 18, 8:04 am

All
Thanks for the replies. When I saw the overwhelming "DO IT" replies, I tried - bu it was too late - UA906 (FRA to ORD) had sold out. @jsloan, thank you for the information on baggage allowances. Turns out, NOBODY could tell me what my allowances were - UA said we both had 0 bags allowed (which I know is not true since I'm *G) and Aegean said only United could tell me what my allowance was? However at the Athens airport they checked our four bags without any issue - so all good there.

Thanks everyone!
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 18, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
I just flew JTR-ATH Aegean paid Y (all Y aircraft), connecting to ATH-EWR UA in paid Biz. Two different record locators as UA would not sell the A3 ticket. I am Star Alliance Gold per my GS status on UA.

When I got to check in JTR, it took them awhile to figure out if they could interline the connection, which eventually they did. However, they did not allow me an overweight (30 KG) bag for free, which is part of Star Alliance Gold benefits (on A3 website) Why? Because they claimed it was an Olympic Air (OA) flight and *Alliance Gold didnt apply. Though, it was A3 employees, the plane was branded Aegean, the FAs Aegean...everything!!

Does A3 do some sort of dog and pony show and wet lease the plane to OA to circumvent SA? Do SA airlines pay a fee to some sort of kitty every flight or something.

They dinged me for 35 Euros....it was more the point of it...and it felt totally deceptive!! Was appreciate for the interline but what's fair is fair! no?

Last edited by saccoNY; Aug 2, 18 at 12:43 pm
Old Aug 4, 18, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by saccoNY View Post
I just flew JTR-ATH Aegean paid Y (all Y aircraft), connecting to ATH-EWR UA in paid Biz. Two different record locators as UA would not sell the A3 ticket. I am Star Alliance Gold per my GS status on UA.

When I got to check in JTR, it took them awhile to figure out if they could interline the connection, which eventually they did. However, they did not allow me an overweight (30 KG) bag for free, which is part of Star Alliance Gold benefits (on A3 website) Why? Because they claimed it was an Olympic Air (OA) flight and *Alliance Gold didnt apply. Though, it was A3 employees, the plane was branded Aegean, the FAs Aegean...everything!!

Does A3 do some sort of dog and pony show and wet lease the plane to OA to circumvent SA? Do SA airlines pay a fee to some sort of kitty every flight or something.

They dinged me for 35 Euros....it was more the point of it...and it felt totally deceptive!! Was appreciate for the interline but what's fair is fair! no?
It is my understanding that *G gets you one extra bag over what the current fare class offers (learned this all thanks to @jsloan) - so if you were economy, you would have received one or two bags at 23kg.
https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...age-allowance/
Old Aug 4, 18, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is my understanding that *G gets you one extra bag over what the current fare class offers (learned this all thanks to @jsloan) - so if you were economy, you would have received one or two bags at 23kg.
https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...age-allowance/
:blush: Thanks for the shout-out.

It's actually a little bit more nuanced than that, unfortunately. Here's the specific language from the Star Alliance site:

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, "tap discount" fares offered by TAP and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
There's enough wiggle room there to drive a truck through.

In this case, Aegean is following the model pioneered by Silk Air (happily, soon to be discontinued), Thai Smile, Eurowings, etc. -- they're operating a separate airline, outside of Star Alliance, and then sticking their code on the flights. Flights operated by those airlines, even if they're visually indistinguishable from the Star Alliance airline flight, are considered outside of Star Alliance and *G benefits don't apply.

However, this particular case has a somewhat happy ending; Olympic Air was recently added as a Star Alliance Connecting Partner. (That's what the line regarding "connecting flights" is about). If you fly a nonstop OA route, you won't get *G benefits. If you connect from OA to another *A airline, including A3, you should. Here's a link to a forum thread about this topic: Olympic Air now a Mileage Plus Partner

Unfortunately, saccoNY, because you were on separate tickets, OA wasn't contractually obligated to provide *G benefits. I've never flown OA, and I can't comment on how likely it is that a different agent might have seen the situation differently and waived the fee, but I doubt you'll have much success complaining about it, sadly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: