Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Question on UA with minor's Passport expiring within the next 2 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Question on UA with minor's Passport expiring within the next 2 months.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
If you can’t get the passport in Denver, NYC has plenty of places that can do it. I got one a few years ago and had to help procure one (from another state no less) for a friend of mine who was stuck last August. There are walk-in places and expedition services. Personally, I’ve paid the extra $150 for the same day courier, mostly because they tend to have better relationships with the offices of get stuff expedited.

Good luck!
Old May 27, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Thanks everyone for the advice. I forgot how much this site can help. I moved all of us to fly out Wednesday morning now instead and will go into the Aurora Office to get it tomorrow morning first thing. I'd rather be here than in a different city trying to arrange this. Also thanks for reminding me about her mothers signature. In this case she is deceased, but I have the death certificate, and do not see any forms online which require me to fill out, it that looks like I just have to bring a copy in when I renew the kiddo.

Spoke to UAL this morning, they moved all the first legs at no change fee. If anyone is flying DEN - EWR tomorrow morning and looking for an upgrade 4 seats in F just opened up.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Thanks everyone for the advice. I forgot how much this site can help. I moved all of us to fly out Wednesday morning now instead and will go into the Aurora Office to get it tomorrow morning first thing. I'd rather be here than in a different city trying to arrange this. Also thanks for reminding me about her mothers signature. In this case she is deceased, but I have the death certificate, and do not see any forms online which require me to fill out, it that looks like I just have to bring a copy in when I renew the kiddo.

Spoke to UAL this morning, they moved all the first legs at no change fee. If anyone is flying DEN - EWR tomorrow morning and looking for an upgrade 4 seats in F just opened up.
Good to hear that UA made changes for you to allow you to use the Denver (Aurora) passport office. I expect that will be significantly less stressful. Don't forget to print your itinerary showing the need for same-day service and make sure to bring a copy of the child's birth certificate (I just researched this for renewing my son's passport and was a bit surprised that we need the birth certificate even when renewing).

As a side note, I've had to use the Aurora office twice (my mother's dog ate my passport TWICE) and they are pretty efficient there.

Good links for future reader's reference: Passport application (child under 16), Passport Application process (child 16 or 17)
PTahCha, jsloan and ajGoes like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Best of luck with the situation. I do find that the folks on the National Passport Information Center are very helpful (877-487-2778) and can get messages to specific passport agency if an on-line appointment is not available. In my case, I applied for a passport at the Chicago office, knowing that I need one expedited. They managed to lose track of the application and the passport, along with my naturalization certificate. After a few back and forth, they told me to go to the Connecticut office (where I live) and they will transmit the submitted information to them. After waiting for 1 hour, I had a passport in hand.
jsloan and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
And please don’t forget about us and report back!

Had a similar situation where I discovered mine was to expire in a week on Christmas Day with travel planned for the 27th. I was in and out of the Houston passport office by noon on the 26th passport in hand. Stressful
i know but It can be done!
jsloan likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Sounds good

Originally Posted by DENflyer3

A trying time for sure, but think you will be OK. In a similar situation a couple years ago (nitwit niece lost passport day before departure) UA also graciously changed departure by a day with no fees. Chase concierge offered to refer to expediter service but seemed best to do it ourselves. We booked a cheapo room across from EWR, got up near crack o'dawn and headed into NYC passport office to be there when they opened and plead our case, prepared with itinerary, copy of lost passport, application and photos.. Turned out the photos we had taken were inadequate but they referred us to a place a block or two away for a re-do. New pics in hand we returned, had new passport by early afternoon. Agent was great, efficient and helpful.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
OP, just saw your later post on having authorization documents since the mother is deceased, not having the mother their would be a hang-up. Good call to do it in DEN, and good for UA to move you back a day.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Turned out the photos we had taken were inadequate but they referred us to a place a block or two away for a re-do.
That's where I fell down. mrs. iapetus insisted that I just use a copy of an old set of passport photos. Despite my instinct, I went with her advice. Turns out that they check for this when you renew your passport. I think that they were going to get me out of the passport office in just a few hours, but having to go back and take another picture (they have a booth in the same building) probably set me back another ~4-5 hours.

I'll bet I could do this much more efficiently next time ... only I hope that there is no next time!
Old May 28, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
That's where I fell down. mrs. iapetus insisted that I just use a copy of an old set of passport photos. Despite my instinct, I went with her advice. Turns out that they check for this when you renew your passport. I think that they were going to get me out of the passport office in just a few hours, but having to go back and take another picture (they have a booth in the same building) probably set me back another ~4-5 hours.

I'll bet I could do this much more efficiently next time ... only I hope that there is no next time!
Did they compare to the old photo to deem it not taken with the last 6 mo? Just curious, fortunately never been in this situation.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Did they compare to the old photo to deem it not taken with the last 6 mo? Just curious, fortunately never been in this situation.
They must have compared photos. I didn't realize that they would do that, but it must have been obvious once they did. I was waiting outside the office with a bunch of other applicants when I got a call from someone inside the building informing me that they'd need another photo before the process could continue.

I almost want to hear of someone I know locally going through this so that I can help them out with everything I learned that day ... but that's a little sadistic and inconsiderate, isn't it?
Old May 28, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by iapetus
They must have compared photos. I didn't realize that they would do that, but it must have been obvious once they did. I was waiting outside the office with a bunch of other applicants when I got a call from someone inside the building informing me that they'd need another photo before the process could continue.
Then, that would be worse if you do a passport renewal by mail. They reject your photo and return your application. I guess that the application fee is not reimbursed?
Old May 28, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Then, that would be worse if you do a passport renewal by mail. They reject your photo and return your application. I guess that the application fee is not reimbursed?
That's a good question. In my case, the only additional fee was the cost of the photo (cash only). I would not be surprised if they have some mechanism by which you don't get charged twice, but I'm not sure how they'd do that when you renew by mail.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you want to print passport photos at home there are a few very useful websites. I'm not sure which one I used at the time, but something like this. Worked like a charm.
https://www.persofoto.com/upload/passport-photo

Last edited by chavala; May 28, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tods27
Good to hear that UA made changes for you to allow you to use the Denver (Aurora) passport office. I expect that will be significantly less stressful. Don't forget to print your itinerary showing the need for same-day service and make sure to bring a copy of the child's birth certificate (I just researched this for renewing my son's passport and was a bit surprised that we need the birth certificate even when renewing).

As a side note, I've had to use the Aurora office twice (my mother's dog ate my passport TWICE) and they are pretty efficient there.

Good links for future reader's reference: Passport application (child under 16), Passport Application process (child 16 or 17)
Yes, renewing a passport for a child under 16 is the same as getting a new passport in terms of requirements.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Update, I was in line at 7:30 this morning, brought everything all printed out and ready to go. 10th in line. I only forgot to bring one thing. The kid. I had all her stuff with me and even as a minor they wanted her to physically be there. I missed that one, but fortunately she was close by so it did not interrupt anything. Passport now in hand and we will be off tomorrow morning.

On an aside, I was stunned by the shear volume of people talking to each other who hated, UAL, Frontier, Southwest, American, all who were denied boarding on Sunday or Monday for this exact issue of the 6 month expiration issue. Total line size was about 30 when we went in, and at least 15 were visibly upset and still venting about missing their trips and why the airlines where so horrible for not at least letting them go to their connection or let them work it out with customs in some other country, or gate agents etc.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
jsloan, sinoflyer, iapetus and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.