Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Old May 24, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HMPS
The crossed legs is a new one. Must be becuase they may impede quick evacuation ?
It's because in a crash landing with high g forces and seatsets coming unglued, sitting with crossed legs makes you more likely to break your legs and be unable to self-evacuate. It is actually smart practice to wear lace-up shoes (less likely to fly off), non-synthetic fiber clothes (less likely to catch fire), and sit with your feet flat on the floor for takeoff and landing with wallet / phone / passport in pockets on your person. FA was dispensing excellent advice.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The only reason I can think off for the "no crossed feet" is that it interferes with the "crotch check" command from the captain?

Last edited by nk15; May 24, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
It's because in a crash landing with high g forces and seatsets coming unglued, sitting with crossed legs makes you more likely to break your legs and be unable to self-evacuate. It is actually smart practice to wear lace-up shoes (less likely to fly off), non-synthetic fiber clothes (less likely to catch fire), and sit with your feet flat on the floor for takeoff and landing with wallet / phone / passport in pockets on your person. FA was dispensing excellent advice.
Except she wasn’t “dispensing advice”. She was giving an order. Big Difference.
She can’t just make up her own rules. What’s next? Reading stories like this makes my blood boil.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Personally, after being nearly hit by a other pax's hard cover book-turned-missle on a high-speed rejected takeoff
I've only been in a low-speed rejected takeoff, and I can still confirm that aircraft brakes are very powerful when a pilot wants them to be. Since that experience, I give my seat belt an extra firm tug for the takeoff roll and just before landing. It turns out that there's a good reason why they say "low and tight"!
Old May 24, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------------
I'm veering off but.....
I hate that shoulder harness and frankly, if it's such a "safety" issue why isn't it mandatory on EVERY seat (as in the coach cabin) on the aircraft? Makes no sense to me - FAA rule for one (J) cabin only ?.
I won't undo it but since it cuts into the shoulder so hard, I've had to slip it under my armpit to "survive" take-off and landing at G-force speed.
I do have to say that on the very, very few occasions where I've flown in international business class, I found the shoulder strap to be incredibly annoying.

Although not nearly as bad as the restraints in, say, a Cirrus.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I think the FAA themselves would be surprised by some of these "rules" that some FA's seem to want to enforce.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
... I've seen United FAs mandate J passengers engage the shoulder harness on widebodies for takeoff and landing. It's probably an FAA rule (why else would UA put it on their aircraft?) and a good idea. To a few obstinate passenger, it's probably nagging.
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------------
I'm veering off but.....
I hate that shoulder harness and frankly, if it's such a "safety" issue why isn't it mandatory on EVERY seat (as in the coach cabin) on the aircraft? Makes no sense to me - FAA rule for one (J) cabin only ?.
The shoulder harness is required for passenger seats that are off-axis of the plane (angled off of the plane axis) --

As the plane was certified with a shoulder harness to improve crash survivability for off-axis seats, the FAA requires their use for take-off and landing, FAR 91.107(a)(3)

9.20.3 Three-point Seatbelts
Three-point diagonal fixing seatbelts are occasionally installed in premium seats, including those positioned at an angle away from the forward/aft axis of the aircraft. The intent of the three-point harness is to protect the occupant from contact with the forward side of the seat shell.
drewguy, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:18 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
I thought it was particularly funny that she did not notice/care that he had shoes off.
This is not funny at all since it is not relevant in an evacuation whether someone is wearing shoes or not as walking barefoot (with/without socks ...) is safe.
People usually can walk equallly well with or without shoes ...
Although I suspect it might pose a higher risk of cutting your feet while walking/crawling over possible debris on the cabin floor during a crash landing.

I´m pretty sure she noticed his shoes were off but didn´t care because it is not relevant to safety.

... and as a side note to our ladies: high heel shoes (e.g. pumps/ high heel sandals) should not be worn in case of an evacuation.
Most if not all safety cards do mention this for a good reason.
This confirms that it is considered a minor risk walking barefoot during evacuation.

Personally I put off my shoes only in flight stages where no "sudden unfortunate occurrence leading to imminent evacuation" are likely (during cruise that is).
So, I rarely put off my shoes in flight anyway.
nancypants and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by MHG; May 24, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chavala
Except she wasn’t “dispensing advice”. She was giving an order. Big Difference.
She can’t just make up her own rules. What’s next? Reading stories like this makes my blood boil.
I think I'll start crossing my feet on every UA flight I take.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
I think I'll start crossing my feet on every UA flight I take.
And you probably will never have an issue. As I do this and in over 1,200 UA flights have never had a comment.

This is essentially 1 FA out of 25,000 dispensing what is probably informed advice but not a general policy. I'm not going to worry about this.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2019 at 1:36 pm Reason: corrected number
Old May 25, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by MHG
high heel shoes (e.g. pumps/ high heel sandals) should not be worn in case of an evacuation.
Most if not all safety cards do mention this for a good reason.
This confirms that it is considered a minor risk walking barefoot during evacuation.
This is not necessarily what it means...What they're saying is that they don't want you to tear up the evacuation slide with your stupid high heels, causing the death or injury of many passengers...So, they are not worried about your feet as much, they are worried about the evacuation slide....It is always best to have your shoes on for take off and landing, just in case. And don't wear high heels on a plane...or just take your chances, I guess....
meagicano, drewguy and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
There’s a lot of rules that seem to vary around the world.
The one I’ve always wondered about is why European airlines insist on the window shutters being open for take-off and landing but the American carriers are happy for them to be closed.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gcuk
There’s a lot of rules that seem to vary around the world.
The one I’ve always wondered about is why European airlines insist on the window shutters being open for take-off and landing but the American carriers are happy for them to be closed.

The logic on most of the rest of the world (seen it in Australia and Mongolia in addition to Europe) is the in the event of an emergency it's important for you to be able to see and evaluate the environment outside the aircraft -- and potentially for emergency crews to see what's going on in the cabin.

I have never fully understood why the US doesn't follow that pattern, at a bare minimum for exit rows.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
“Feet on the ground, like a flight attendant”, she explained to my seat mate.
So your legs don't shatter if there's an impact.

While this is a good voluntary practice, the FA was out of line.
wrp96 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Pretty interesting set of responses. The shades open is an FAA requirement. Has nothing to do with you seeing out, has to do with rescuers seeing in.

As to crossed legs, if you want to have any possibility of leaving the ac under your own power, best not to have your legs crossed.... as the likelihood is that one or both would be broken.

If you cannot extract yourself, it’s tough enough pulling a body from a seat with legs uncrossed, depending on way seats are situated after crash, almost impossible with.

It is sad that someone thought the only way to have experience is to have survived a crash. It’s called training.

“The FAA doesn’t know all of it’s own rules”. I think you would be surprised at how much of the FAA regs the average FSDO rep is familiar with. The NTSB people are very knowledgeable. Not to mention the flight crew. To state otherwise is to suggest that a traffic cop doesn’t know the law because you didn’t get pulled over for every infraction.

Ah, now sit back and wait for the mocking by all who will “never be in a crash”. I hope you are right. If you are not, I hope you have trained flight crew who prepare you properly, in spite of yourself.

Check out the videos of UA’s flt 232 arriving in Sioux City Ia. The shades are up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.