Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP

Had a really odd occurrence on a TPAC flight yesterday. One flight attendant was doing her preflight checks down her aisle of the 777 biz class, and was asking passengers who were crossing their feet to not do so. “Feet on the ground, like a flight attendant”, she explained to my seat mate.

I thought I might be misinterpreting things, but sure enough, during landing procedures she did it again.

As I assume this was being done as a means to be prepared during a potential evacuation incident, I thought it was particularly funny that she did not notice/care that he had shoes off.

Anyone ever heard an FA do something like this?
Old May 24, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
How ridiculous. I really wonder how some of these people get their jobs - or worse - who is the person interviewing them ?
iluv2fly, dgreen12, seanp7 and 8 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While most FAs don't seem to care, I think some FAs actually enforce the rules - like disconnecting from the outlet - and others go the extra mile - things like no headset, windows shades up, shoes on, etc. that UA does not care.

Even the simplest rules such as disconnecting the power cords, putting things under the seat and not hold onto big devices are ignored by smart aleks who think they know better and enjoying breaking the rules.

I would not ridicule the FA as some of these things probably came out of their experience and training.
dhammer53, pilot007, HMPS and 10 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by username
While most FAs don't seem to care, I think some FAs actually enforce the rules - like disconnecting from the outlet - and others go the extra mile - things like no headset, windows shades up, shoes on, etc. that UA does not care.

Even the simplest rules such as disconnecting the power cords, putting things under the seat and not hold onto big devices are ignored by smart aleks who think they know better and enjoying breaking the rules.

I would not ridicule the FA as some of these things probably came out of their experience and training.
Is the disconnecting power cords an FAA rule or a UA rule? From what I can tell, foreign carriers (e.g. LX) don't care at all.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA MM

I've heard before it's an FAA rule that exit row window shades must be open for takeoff and landing.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I can understand most of the DONTS. The crossed legs is a new one. Must be becuase they may impede quick evacuation ?
Old May 24, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by east_west
Is the disconnecting power cords an FAA rule or a UA rule? From what I can tell, foreign carriers (e.g. LX) don't care at all.
LH cared on my flight yesterday and I actually watched the LH FA stand over the pax while he powered down his computer, folded up the tray table and put away his computer. The pax was in J. So it is not just UA FAs who care about the safety of their pax.

Although, back in topic I have never heard a FA ask a pax bot to cross their legs and place their feet in the floor - a number of Polaris pax who have their feet in the footwell for takeoff and landing.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:48 pm

------------
I'm all for enforcing rules (like seatbelts, upright seats, bag stowage, phones turned off, etc) but really, telling people how to place their feet and legs ? Why not add more rules - fold your hands, eyes straight ahead, no talking and sit quietly like obedient little children. I'm pretty sure in the event of an emergent exit from the aircraft, the last thing people are thinking about or going to do is quickly check if their feet/ankles are not crossed. Sounds to me like a very new-hire FA right out of training (like yesterday) who was trying to enforce rules that (appropriately) apply to HER sitting posture rules in a jump seat, not every passenger on the aircraft.

Last edited by FlyingNone; May 24, 2019 at 8:55 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When they're on a power trip, I sure would.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------------
I'm all for enforcing rules (like seatbelts, upright seats, bag stowage, phones turned off, etc) but really, telling people how to place their feet and legs ? Why not add more rules - fold your hands, eyes straight ahead, no talking and sit quietly like obedient little children. I'm pretty sure in the event of an emergent exit from the aircraft, the last thing people are thinking about or going to do is quickly check if their feet/ankles are not crossed.
Okay but where do you draw the line? I've seen United FAs mandate J passengers engage the shoulder harness on widebodies for takeoff and landing. It's probably an FAA rule (why else would UA put it on their aircraft?) and a good idea. To a few obstinate passenger, it's probably nagging.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:58 pm

Experience? I bet you the FA has had absolutely no experience with a real evacuation or crash. Those are so rare few people actually have experience
Old May 24, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Okay but where do you draw the line? I've seen United FAs mandate J passengers engage the shoulder harness on widebodies for takeoff and landing. It's probably an FAA rule (why else would UA put it on their aircraft?) and a good idea. To a few obstinate passenger, it's probably nagging.
------------
I'm veering off but.....
I hate that shoulder harness and frankly, if it's such a "safety" issue why isn't it mandatory on EVERY seat (as in the coach cabin) on the aircraft? Makes no sense to me - FAA rule for one (J) cabin only ?.
I won't undo it but since it cuts into the shoulder so hard, I've had to slip it under my armpit to "survive" take-off and landing at G-force speed.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It is actually a FAA rule 14 CFR 25.785(d):

d) Each occupant of a seat that makes more than an 18-degree angle with the vertical plane containing the airplane centerline must be protected from head injury by a safety belt and an energy absorbing rest that will support the arms, shoulders, head, and spine, or by a safety belt and shoulder harness that will prevent the head from contacting any injurious object
... Though obviously not all Polaris seats have the lateral offset, UA has apparently decided to make it consistent across the J seats.

I am aware of no such regulation for exit row (or even all) window shades being open in the US, though virtually every airline flying another country's flag I've been on has one of those regulations (plus, frequently, nothing under the seat in front for takeoff/landing)... And it's not impossible that it's in UA's FAA issued op specs or manuals, though if it we're I expect we'd see it enforced consistently.

Like both of those the "no crossed feet" makes a lot of sense from a passenger safety point over view. You're far less likely to suffer a serious injury in the event of a sudden stop, but AFAIK it's not an actual rule.

Personally, after being nearly hit by a other pax's hard cover book-turned-missle on a high-speed rejected takeoff, I keep both feet on the floor, face forward/upright, and have everything o(phone, book...) stowed until positive rate is established. Thankfully it's just been precaution so far, but it could easily turn into a safety issue.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by east_west
IB made sure we unplugged in J
Old May 24, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
It would be nice if the actual 'rules' were made public.

FAs seem to be able to make up rules as they go....
roberto99, muji, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.