Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Old May 25, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
It's because in a crash landing with high g forces and seatsets coming unglued, sitting with crossed legs makes you more likely to break your legs and be unable to self-evacuate.
(bolding mine)

I immediately thought to myself: "That sounds like a GOOD thing!"
BearX220 and ErikStratton like this.
Old May 25, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Depends on the condition of your body, and mind., when the plane hits the ground.

A good landing is one I can walk away from, my old flight instructor use to tell me,
ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 19, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
If it's a rule , wouldn't it be in the recordings somewhere? If shades up for takeoff is an actual rule, wouldn't it be mandated on the recorded safety briefings?
Old May 25, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
Depends on the condition of your body, and mind., when the plane hits the ground.

A good landing is one I can walk away from, my old flight instructor use to tell me,

There is a lot of randomness in the survivability of an accident, but the few things you have control of that may help are, statistically:
1. Buckled up, stay alert during take-off and landing, shoes on.(I follow this)
2. Backward facing seats (like the FAs), if available, are preferred. (I follow this)
3. Sitting no more than 6 seat rows away from an exit row (the closer the better), or you may not make it out on time (I follow this)
4. On average, back of the plane is somewhat safer, followed by middle section, followed by front section (I don't do this, come on, this is against our FT values, lol)
5. Long pants, long sleeves (mostly I don't follow, comfort supersedes safety here, lol).
satman40, ajGoes and nancypants like this.

Last edited by nk15; May 25, 19 at 5:22 pm
Old May 25, 19, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
This is not funny at all since it is not relevant in an evacuation whether someone is wearing shoes or not as walking barefoot (with/without socks ...) is safe.
Although I suspect it might pose a higher risk of cutting your feet while walking/crawling over possible debris on the cabin floor during a crash landing.
Pretty sure you just explained how it IS relevant. Hindered mobility. I know I wouldn’t want to evacuate behind someone who sliced open their foot and couldn’t move well.
BearX220, ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
Is the disconnecting power cords an FAA rule or a UA rule? From what I can tell, foreign carriers (e.g. LX) don't care at all.
Some foreign carriers do - but since the POWER is turned off what difference does it make if a cord is plugged in?
Old May 25, 19, 1:14 pm
GDL

Programs: AM, UA, 4O
I wonder if a passenger in the brace position would be told to sit upright by this FA
Old May 25, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
Some foreign carriers do - but since the POWER is turned off what difference does it make if a cord is plugged in?
My guess is a potential trip/entanglement hazard in the event of an evacuation... Some outlet locations make this risk more probable than others ... But again this goest to the root that takeoff and landing are statistically both the most dangerous phases of flight and the phases at which an incident is likely to be partially or fully survivable -- so I'll take all the small advantages I can rack up :-)
wrp96, ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 19, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
On a recent LX flight from US to ZRH, the USB outlets worked from boarding through deplaning. And people plugged their phones in through takeoff procedures, with no complaints from the crew.
Old May 25, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
What did she threaten you with?
She threatened to tell the Captain that I was refusing to follow safety instructions/regulations.
--I should've have never questioned her order in the first place by saying something like, "in my 2+ million miles of flying, I have never previously been told that I couldn't leave my drink on the console". My comment probably came off as entitled/snobby when I should have just shut my mouth.

The safety study that concluded that your feet flat on the floor is the best position also recommended that you have carry-on jammed under the seat in front of you to act as a cushion or check because no one is strong enough in a 6G crash to keep their legs from flying forward and hitting the seat struts. I guess the fact that I always put my overstuffed backpack under the seat in front of me is just good safety/survival technique.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 19, 4:20 pm

I don't know if they still have them but US Air had these weird seat belt airbags in the bulkhead seats on the A321s. Besides being impossible to actually use the seatbelt without an extender - the belt was basically forced straight so you had a v-shaped belt - I can't imagine what benefit they would bring except as a placebo for dumb people. I guess if you auger in, you'll be happy to feel your ribs get blown apart by the little airbag strapped to them a tenth of a second before you faceplant into the bulkhead.

Whenever an FA "instructs" me to do something obviously stupid, I comply with it until he/walks away and then go back to whatever I was doing that irked him/her. UA FAs don't seem to understand that in the F seats on the 320/319, when the headrest is down, it pushes out your neck and sets right between the shoulder blades. If there was a bump while taxiing, you could hurt yourself. If they're up, your neck is straight and like a headrest in a car, it could help reduce or prevent whiplash. Having them down is clearly hazardous and up is clearly safe, but they always instruct you to put them down. I do so until they are seated and then put the headrest back up.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 25, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I just do what they say

Happy wife happy life.

Yes I have over 2 million miles,

You do not know how many times I have rode in the back seat, while someone’s kid set in the right seat , private commercial, but I still got paid.

Even Private Pilots Show off for their kids.on a power trip, maybe,,,,

nancypants likes this.
Old May 25, 19, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
A good landing is one I can walk away from
And a great landing is where you can use the plane again.
Old May 25, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Delta Platinum Medallion
I get the rule book thrown at me most often on US airlines, but sometimes on Asian airlines (NH, OZ, BR.)

On a UA flight once I actually had the FA look at my phone closely to determine I wasn't in airplane mode and call me out on it.

Some of them nitpick, most of them don't.
Old May 25, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
And a great landing is where you can use the plane again.
True dat. Also, take-offs are optional and landings are not.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread