Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger removed for using phone

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by davie355
99% of flyers and FAs acknowledge the stupidity of the rule by ignoring it.
87.4% of statistics are made up.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Ah, the predictability of a thread about cellphone on a plane.

Any bets on how long till this thread gets closed by a mod? Seems like it’s getting pretty close.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Best I could tell, I was 2 rows up, he was talking, but said something like " everybody else has their phone on too ..."
So incredibly glad they booted the passenger
artvandalay, kale73, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
this whole thread is all speculation without knowing exactly what the passenger said or was doing. If he had the phone in airplane mode and just said something like "No, it's in airplane mode" the the FA was out of line. If he was yapping away on the phone (like I've seen people do while on the runway or during the safety demo right in front of an FA), the the FA was within her right/duty. It may have been excessive since you typically don't get kicked off for that, but it's certainly within her right. Assuming a "normal" FA, I'd assume the passenger gave her some rude remark that ticked her off enough to get rid of the passenger. But who knows

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2019 at 1:14 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted material
Old May 21, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
I always, as in every single time, turned my phone completely off prior to boarding, to be turned back off after exiting the aircraft at destination. And you know what, my life was no worse off for it and I didn't miss a thing.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Consider that the captain had to approve of this as well. So unless she lied the conduct/response was not something mild.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Two flights ago there was a woman yelling into her phone "I can't hear you! The #$@#ing safety video is playing!"
Old May 21, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by davie355
Those are completely unrealistic options for the modern businessperson.

99% of flyers and FAs acknowledge the stupidity of the rule by ignoring it.
One can say this about liquid over 3oz on plane, taking off shoes (if not Pre-Check), or even speed limits (as cars/roads are designed for safe driving way above 65 mph) but unless one flies a private plane or helicopter (avoiding roads) - we should be good citizens in society and follow the rules to avoid chaos.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by cfischer
glad they are finally addressing this problem. A few more reports of this type might actually fix this annoying issue. ^ for the FA to teach this pax a valuable lesson.
Uh, nope.

Pretty sure it's another power trip by an FA. Thanks for playing, though!
neo_781 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Uh, nope.

Pretty sure it's another power trip by an FA. Thanks for playing, though!
Pretty sure it's more likely a troglodyte passenger than it is a power tripping FA.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I doubt there is any confusion about Airport Mode of smartphones. However, I suspect many of us have watched people continuing to text, scanning FB or perhaps continue listening to conference calls after the door has closed --
Right, and FA's should learn more respect towards the passengers, really. Passengers shouldn't have to be obedient like a bunch of dogs or else get kicked off the plane.

From reading multiple flight encounters between pax and FA's, it seems like the FA's need a lesson in the delivery of a message. You can get a clear message across without being rude or using the words "excuse me??." Saying, "excuse me??" outside of when you accidentally run into someone or interrupt a conversation makes me want to rip that person's hair out, and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

Perhaps airlines should make customer service lessons a priority during training.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Pretty sure it's more likely a troglodyte passenger than it is a power tripping FA.
Sounds like to me the passenger was singled out if others were on their phones.

I get tired of watching FA's immediately resort to "get off the plane" when in any other industry, the entry level employee would have to deal with the person like a grown up does.

Resolve the problem instead of just throwing people off the plane.

I can understand if the pax sits there for 20 minutes and refuses to put their phone away after being asked to, but if the pax complies with the instructions but gives a little bit of lip... That shouldn't warrant being kicked off. We should have to listen to instructions for safety reasons, but FA's should have to deal with the lip and deal with it like any other customer service job.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
There seem to be rather strong opinions expressed in this thread considering the blatant lack of pertinent information.
jsloan, Xyzzy, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Right, and FA's should learn more respect towards the passengers, really. Passengers shouldn't have to be obedient like a bunch of dogs or else get kicked off the plane.

From reading multiple flight encounters between pax and FA's, it seems like the FA's need a lesson in the delivery of a message. You can get a clear message across without being rude or using the words "excuse me??." Saying, "excuse me??" outside of when you accidentally run into someone or interrupt a conversation makes me want to rip that person's hair out, and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

Perhaps airlines should make customer service lessons a priority during training.
But it is okay for pax to ignore the safety briefings and ignore directions? How many times do pax need to be told switch the phone to airplane mode for it to be acceptable for them to be removed from the plane if they do not comply?

Switching the phone to airplane mode for the flight is not an "option" at the whim of some "power tripping" FA. Similar rule to needing to have your seatbelt fastened and tray table up.

Follow the rules or do not fly - kudos to the FA and pilot. Would like to see this happen more often to pax who think they are "special" and rules do not apply to them.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
But it is okay for pax to ignore the safety briefings and ignore directions? How many times do pax need to be told switch the phone to airplane mode for it to be acceptable for them to be removed from the plane if they do not comply?

Switching the phone to airplane mode for the flight is not an "option" at the whim of some "power tripping" FA. Similar rule to needing to have your seatbelt fastened and tray table up.

Follow the rules or do not fly - kudos to the FA and pilot. Would like to see this happen more often to pax who think they are "special" and rules do not apply to them.
Already said pax should have to listen to safety briefings and instructions. Read the post after the post you quoted.

The FA was just upset because the passenger said something back. This isn't about safety, it's about power tripping whether you believe that or not., I don't care.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.