Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger removed for using phone

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Passenger removed for using phone

I was on Ua 922 today. Door closed, safety briefing.... FA walks down aisle to check belts. Tells a passenger to shut his phone off. Didn't hear his exact response but sounded like he says he's not really talking on it or something. She says "excuse me?" Heads to cockpit. Door opens. Plane door opens. Pilot says we have to take care of a matter. Ground agents come on and ask man to deplane, which he does without a fuss. First time I've seen this.... And I've seen worse abusers of phones later in takeoff process than this...
Old May 20, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
glad they are finally addressing this problem. A few more reports of this type might actually fix this annoying issue. ^ for the FA to teach this pax a valuable lesson.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
glad they are finally addressing this problem. A few more reports of this type might actually fix this annoying issue. ^ for the FA to teach this pax a valuable lesson.
depends upon what was said...
iluv2fly and wrp96 like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was the phone in airplane mode? AFAIK all USA carriers allow this at any time.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It's the normal procedure. The passenger should follow all crew instructions, otherwise, they could be offloaded before departure.
Indeed, that passenger should have finished his phone call when the doors are closed and switch it to airplane mode. ( US Federal Law ) The safety briefing takes around 3-4 minutes. He had 5 minutes to hang up his call and go texting instead as audio calls from the airplane Wi-Fi is not either permitted. I don't want to misjudge that passenger but probably he had money to spend on a walk-in ticket for the next flight to his final destination.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

depends upon what was said...
completely disagree. Door is closed - phones are off. FA comes by and tells you to do that and you do anything other than immediately complying ... offloading should be the answer IMO.
Aussienarelle and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
completely disagree. Door is closed - phones are off. FA comes by and tells you to do that and you do anything other than immediately complying ... offloading should be the answer IMO.
That was pretty much the situation....
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
These should be the same for United flights. This image is from the American Way Magazine May 2019 edition.

Old May 20, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the guy taking on his phone? Was it obviously not in airplane mode?

You haven't had to turn your phone off on a plane in... what? 6 years?
Miggles likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
These should be the same for United flights. This image is from the American Way Magazine May 2019 edition.

Thank you. I'm surprised that all the FFers here don't know about the airplane mode exception, which the FA of course should know too.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the same for United. The image below is taken from the Hemispheres Magazine March 2019 edition.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you. I'm surprised that all the FFers here don't know about the airplane mode exception, which the FA of course should know too.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2019 at 8:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 20, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I suspect the FA was reacting to what was said, which was obviously not innocuous.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Phones are not off when the door is closed. They never need to be turned off. Maybe he was listening to music or a downloaded voice message.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I suspect the FA was reacting to what was said, which was obviously not innocuous.
Or it was 99.999% innocuous and the FA was offended by the 0.001%.

EDIT: wait a second. I may have flown with this FA before. I was on IAH to RDU and my seatmates across the aisle were chatting as we taxied to the runway.

FA comes by and asks in an uppity tone "Are you on your PHONE?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!"

My seatmates glare at the FA. "Uh, no?"

The FA walks away, ashamed she couldn't power trip as hard as she fantasized.
mikesyr18 likes this.

Last edited by davie355; May 20, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Old May 20, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I would hope it was more egregious than simply "in a minute" as a response to "please turn off your phone". I get the desire to have everyone comply with the law, even one that isn't actually meaningfully reducing risk, but the potential for massive amounts of wasted time for all passengers if airlines start returning to the gate every time a passenger doesn't flip to airplane mode immediately isn't something I look forward to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.