FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Passenger removed for using phone (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1970629-passenger-removed-using-phone.html)

Kacee May 20, 19 10:08 pm


Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31122051)
99% of flyers and FAs acknowledge the stupidity of the rule by ignoring it.

87.4% of statistics are made up.

emcampbe May 20, 19 10:16 pm

Ah, the predictability of a thread about cellphone on a plane.

Any bets on how long till this thread gets closed by a mod? Seems like itís getting pretty close.

HNLbasedFlyer May 20, 19 10:54 pm


Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 31121898)
Best I could tell, I was 2 rows up, he was talking, but said something like " everybody else has their phone on too ..."

So incredibly glad they booted the passenger

eng3 May 21, 19 12:02 am

this whole thread is all speculation without knowing exactly what the passenger said or was doing. If he had the phone in airplane mode and just said something like "No, it's in airplane mode" the the FA was out of line. If he was yapping away on the phone (like I've seen people do while on the runway or during the safety demo right in front of an FA), the the FA was within her right/duty. It may have been excessive since you typically don't get kicked off for that, but it's certainly within her right. Assuming a "normal" FA, I'd assume the passenger gave her some rude remark that ticked her off enough to get rid of the passenger. But who knows

Sheikh Yerbooty May 21, 19 2:49 am

I always, as in every single time, turned my phone completely off prior to boarding, to be turned back off after exiting the aircraft at destination. And you know what, my life was no worse off for it and I didn't miss a thing.

aacharya May 21, 19 3:34 am

Consider that the captain had to approve of this as well. So unless she lied the conduct/response was not something mild.

Miles Ahead May 21, 19 3:41 am

Two flights ago there was a woman yelling into her phone "I can't hear you! The #[email protected]#ing safety video is playing!"

RooseveltL May 21, 19 3:56 am


Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31122051)
Those are completely unrealistic options for the modern businessperson.

99% of flyers and FAs acknowledge the stupidity of the rule by ignoring it.

One can say this about liquid over 3oz on plane, taking off shoes (if not Pre-Check), or even speed limits (as cars/roads are designed for safe driving way above 65 mph) but unless one flies a private plane or helicopter (avoiding roads) - we should be good citizens in society and follow the rules to avoid chaos.

mikesyr18 May 21, 19 4:38 am


Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31121683)
glad they are finally addressing this problem. A few more reports of this type might actually fix this annoying issue. ^ for the FA to teach this pax a valuable lesson.

Uh, nope.

Pretty sure it's another power trip by an FA. Thanks for playing, though!

fumje May 21, 19 4:53 am


Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 31122797)
Uh, nope.

Pretty sure it's another power trip by an FA. Thanks for playing, though!

Pretty sure it's more likely a troglodyte passenger than it is a power tripping FA.

mikesyr18 May 21, 19 4:57 am


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31121871)
I doubt there is any confusion about Airport Mode of smartphones. However, I suspect many of us have watched people continuing to text, scanning FB or perhaps continue listening to conference calls after the door has closed --

Right, and FA's should learn more respect towards the passengers, really. Passengers shouldn't have to be obedient like a bunch of dogs or else get kicked off the plane.

From reading multiple flight encounters between pax and FA's, it seems like the FA's need a lesson in the delivery of a message. You can get a clear message across without being rude or using the words "excuse me??." Saying, "excuse me??" outside of when you accidentally run into someone or interrupt a conversation makes me want to rip that person's hair out, and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

Perhaps airlines should make customer service lessons a priority during training.

mikesyr18 May 21, 19 4:59 am


Originally Posted by fumje (Post 31122838)
Pretty sure it's more likely a troglodyte passenger than it is a power tripping FA.

Sounds like to me the passenger was singled out if others were on their phones.

I get tired of watching FA's immediately resort to "get off the plane" when in any other industry, the entry level employee would have to deal with the person like a grown up does.

Resolve the problem instead of just throwing people off the plane.

I can understand if the pax sits there for 20 minutes and refuses to put their phone away after being asked to, but if the pax complies with the instructions but gives a little bit of lip... That shouldn't warrant being kicked off. We should have to listen to instructions for safety reasons, but FA's should have to deal with the lip and deal with it like any other customer service job.

narvik May 21, 19 5:04 am

There seem to be rather strong opinions expressed in this thread considering the blatant lack of pertinent information.

Aussienarelle May 21, 19 5:08 am


Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 31122850)
Right, and FA's should learn more respect towards the passengers, really. Passengers shouldn't have to be obedient like a bunch of dogs or else get kicked off the plane.

From reading multiple flight encounters between pax and FA's, it seems like the FA's need a lesson in the delivery of a message. You can get a clear message across without being rude or using the words "excuse me??." Saying, "excuse me??" outside of when you accidentally run into someone or interrupt a conversation makes me want to rip that person's hair out, and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

Perhaps airlines should make customer service lessons a priority during training.

But it is okay for pax to ignore the safety briefings and ignore directions? How many times do pax need to be told switch the phone to airplane mode for it to be acceptable for them to be removed from the plane if they do not comply?

Switching the phone to airplane mode for the flight is not an "option" at the whim of some "power tripping" FA. Similar rule to needing to have your seatbelt fastened and tray table up.

Follow the rules or do not fly - kudos to the FA and pilot. Would like to see this happen more often to pax who think they are "special" and rules do not apply to them.

mikesyr18 May 21, 19 5:10 am


Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31122878)
But it is okay for pax to ignore the safety briefings and ignore directions? How many times do pax need to be told switch the phone to airplane mode for it to be acceptable for them to be removed from the plane if they do not comply?

Switching the phone to airplane mode for the flight is not an "option" at the whim of some "power tripping" FA. Similar rule to needing to have your seatbelt fastened and tray table up.

Follow the rules or do not fly - kudos to the FA and pilot. Would like to see this happen more often to pax who think they are "special" and rules do not apply to them.

Already said pax should have to listen to safety briefings and instructions. Read the post after the post you quoted.

The FA was just upset because the passenger said something back. This isn't about safety, it's about power tripping whether you believe that or not., I don't care.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:21 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.