Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sometimes "the game" is maddening...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I guess that op is DEB, G. He/she is still #1 on upgrade standby list.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Get in 9K ?

Website is showing 49/50 checked in, and app 50/50
Are you seeing 9K as open on 944? Again on this end the seat map and list are both showing full.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
That would be me — I’ll leave the gender up to everyone’s imagination .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2019 at 3:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 20, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
The seat map is showing full on the website.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Originally Posted by GBadger

That would be me — I’ll leave the gender up to everyone’s imagination .
Fair enough, 9K is "BAG, A", which is about as close to your username here as "DEB, G" is imo

Are you seeing 9K as open on 944? Again on this end the seat map and list are both showing full.
As above, the last person to be upgraded

gl gl, if there is 1 seat still left (seatmap full on both website and app, gone from EF )
Old May 20, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Victory is mine!

For the record, the app was booked 48 +1 blocked most of the day, then booked full, then checked in 49, then I got the upgrade and it now says checked in full.

Website still says checked in 49, so I think the app accounts for the blocked seat (and I can see from here that 1A is blocked) while the website does not.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats, raehl311!

GBadger, you're not in danger of missing a connection out of FRA, are you?
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iapetus
Congrats, raehl311!

GBadger, you're not in danger of missing a connection out of FRA, are you?
Not yet, though we’re still boarding and have to get off the ground at ORD. Given that, it’s getting pretty tight. I thought 3.5 hours would be a safe FRA connection!

By necessity, I have an onward flight on a separate SU ticket from LED tomorrow evening — we’ll see how things shake out... Technically I could still do FRA-MUC-LED, but that gets very tight at LED.
Well, doors are closed and I’m in the back. At least I get my GPU back so that I can go through it all again?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2019 at 3:45 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 20, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website still shows 49/50 checked in. I am guardedly optimistic for you.

A few weeks ago I was flying IAH-LAX and kept checking the upgrade status and seat map. I knew I likely wouldn't get upgraded, but I was holding out hope that the middle seat wouldn't get occupied. At some point in my OCD-esque refreshing of the flight status, I realized that the man sitting in the aisle seat scored an upgrade and informed him as such. I was happy for him, but bummed for me ... only not as much so as when they filled both the aisle and the middle seats. The middle in the exit row across from me was free for the rest of the flight. But I lived to fight another day.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus
The website still shows 49/50 checked in. I am guardedly optimistic for you.
Appreciate it, but the fat lady has sung. Cross check completed, and we’re pushing back...

Thanks to to all for following the emotional roller coaster!
Old May 20, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appreciate it, but the fat lady has sung. Cross check completed, and we’re pushing back...
Well, thanks for the update. It was weird how the website showed 49/50 until ... suddenly it indicated that the flight was closed.

And, yes!, the game is absolutely maddening!
Old May 20, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by raehl311

Website still says checked in 49, so I think the app accounts for the blocked seat (and I can see from here that 1A is blocked) while the website does not.
It does. It also (frustratingly) accounts for multiple blocked seats when Y is overbooked and they plan on op-ups. So there may be a legitimate 3-4 seats available (i.e., unsold) but it shows full because they'll be filled for sure by the top 3-4 on the waitlist.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:45 pm

what's annoying is all that time duriong the delay could have been in the PL
cricketer likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:10 pm

I don’t know, I quite like this stress. Nothing like scoring an upgrade. The elusive “operational upgrade” is something that feels especially amazing. I remember NRT-SEA, Pre-IPTE 777, upgraded to C, then called back to the gate. GA rips up ticket, heart sinks, then see the printer printing a gold (!) BP. You know what that used to mean...
nnn, cranky1K and SkyTeem like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Gotta say, this is one area where I appreciate AA, and one of the major reasons why I put the majority of my business on AA. Even if you lose the lottery, at least you didn't have to buy an expensive W fare to play. Plus, I seem to have much better success on AA as an EXP than I did on UA as a 1K..cough cough TOD...cough cough.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Even if you lose the lottery, at least you didn't have to buy an expensive W fare to play. Plus,
That just makes you a bad player. You buy W fares when space to upgrade available or a route that often upgrades. Otherwise, you do the buy-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.