Polaris lounge in HND instead of NRT?

Old May 19, 19, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None yet
Polaris lounge in HND instead of NRT?

UA states that there will be a Polaris lounge at NRT "in planning" (Polaris Tracker - Desktop). With the new HND slots allocated to UA and the fact that HND is considered as a more premium airport than NRT, is it possible that the new Polaris lounge will be constructed at HND instead? Any rumor on that yet?
Old May 19, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Real estate at HND is much more constrained and competed over. Polaris at HND would be very pricey.

I personally hope they don't go down this path, because budget cuts from catering or other soft costs to cover the extra costs would leave us all drinking Night Train Express in our Polaris flights before long.
wrp96 and cranky1K like this.
Old May 19, 19, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
There will still be more UA lift to NRT.
Old May 19, 19, 2:52 pm

Out of curiosity how does NRT and HND compare in terms of international lift on * partners? My understanding is that HND has about double the passengers load as NRT, yet looking at the airlines and routes it would appear that NRT may still have the upper hand internationally. In which case having a PL at NRT would make more sense than HND given its hub status. Perhaps that will change in the coming years now that the International terminal is built out and the Japanese government is actively seeking new tenants there.
Old May 19, 19, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Out of curiosity how does NRT and HND compare in terms of international lift on * partners? My understanding is that HND has about double the passengers load as NRT, yet looking at the airlines and routes it would appear that NRT may still have the upper hand internationally. In which case having a PL at NRT would make more sense than HND given its hub status. Perhaps that will change in the coming years now that the International terminal is built out and the Japanese government is actively seeking new tenants there.
Haneda is still predominately a domestic airport. International flights and passenger loads are nowhere near the level of Narita.
Old May 19, 19, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
There will still be more UA lift to NRT.
After the change, there will be 10x frequencies on UA metal from CONUS to Tokyo, 5x to each of HND/NRT:
to HND: 1x SFO, 1x LAX, 1x EWR, 1x ORD, 1x IAD
to NRT: 1x SFO, 1x LAX, 1x EWR, 1x IAH, 1x DEN

NRT will have 3x GUM and 1x HNL, but I suspect these aren't a priority for the Polaris lounge decision.
Old May 19, 19, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA will have 242 J seats to HND and 304 J seats to NRT (includes HNL, excludes GUM). If space was available, I would assume ST would have priority in opening their lounge first before any space is given to *A or OW (both have 2-3 lounges already).
Kacee likes this.
Old May 19, 19, 11:55 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Polaris Lounges can also be accessed by J pax of other *A carriers, which could be part of the considerations. Lots of LH (now exclusively HND), NH, OZ, BR, etc. premium seats from HND.

Old May 20, 19, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
Polaris Lounges can also be accessed by J pax of other *A carriers, which could be part of the considerations. Lots of LH (now exclusively HND), NH, OZ, BR, etc. premium seats from HND.
It's hard for me to imagine that UA would invest in HND real estate in order to try to earn money selling lounge access to *A partners. It seems much simpler just to let NH do that.
Old May 20, 19, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It's hard for me to imagine that UA would invest in HND real estate in order to try to earn money selling lounge access to *A partners. It seems much simpler just to let NH do that.
Respectfully disagree with you here. Looking at the lounge finder for HND all that's available are ANA Suite and *Gold lounges. Access to Suite lounges per NH rules are F customers and those with Diamond Service level on NH FFP. Hence, if you're travelling in Polaris or J, the best you'll get is the NH Lounge which is shared with *Gold customers like me travelling in K(ettle) class. I suspect a number of airlines would be more than happy to pay UA a premium for a dedicated J lounge. This was precisely what UA offered at NRT back when they had a F lounge and I suspect one of the reasons why they decided to move in at NRT in spite of NH having such wonderful lounge facilities there. From the standpoint of UA, having a Polaris lounge in Asia is key considering UA doesn't fly much to Asia. For instance, as far as I can tell UA does not yet fly to BKK, SGN or JKT to name but a few. However, such flights are possible with a connection thru TYO.

Looking at the Polaris Lounge tracker website they list IAD, LHR, HKG and NRT as in the planning stages to get a Polaris lounge. My guess is it will be in that particular order of development since it is in UA could then claim that all their US hubs have a proper lounge. LHR would be next based on the sheer number of flights out of there on UA. HKG would come next since as far as I can tell (correct me if I'm mistaken here), Chek Lap Kok is the only airport in HK that has commercial passenger service but obviously doesn't have the same lift as LHR. Finally, TYO would come last in this progression to give them time to see where the passenger volume and route network is building for themselves and * partners. My prediction is we'll see IAD sometime late this year or early next. LHR in 2021, HKG in 2022 and TYO in 2024.

Safe Travels,

James
worldclubber likes this.
Old May 20, 19, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
The ANA business lounge at HND is also already packed every time I am there and the food/drink choices sub-par, IMHO.
telemark27 and worldclubber like this.
Old May 20, 19, 12:35 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Has there been any indication that UA may cut a flight or two from NRT once they launch the new HND flights?
Old May 20, 19, 12:50 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
Has there been any indication that UA may cut a flight or two from NRT once they launch the new HND flights?
This question would probably fit better here:
UA applies for 6x additional HND slots - UA gets EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
NH does not have a dedicated J lounge and has no plans if opening one. UA could keep a Polaris lounge busy throughout the day with J pax on other *A carriers, unlike the Polaris lounge at LAX.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 19 at 1:38 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 20, 19, 1:38 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
This question would probably fit better here:
Oops. Forgot about that thread. Went there and found my answer: UA has proposed to move the ORD & IAD flights from NRT to HND. i.e. Two fewer flights to NRT.
Old May 20, 19, 1:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As posted earlier, this appears to be the UA plan (with ORD & IAD moved to HND
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
After the change, there will be 10x frequencies on UA metal from CONUS to Tokyo, 5x to each of HND/NRT:
to HND: 1x SFO, 1x LAX, 1x EWR, 1x ORD, 1x IAD
to NRT: 1x SFO, 1x LAX, 1x EWR, 1x IAH, 1x DEN

NRT will have 3x GUM and 1x HNL, but I suspect these aren't a priority for the Polaris lounge decision.
But as suggested, that is already discussed in UA applies for 6x additional HND slots - UA gets EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX

Search this Thread
Search Engine: