Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris lounge in HND instead of NRT?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity has there been any discussion about expanding the size and facilities at HND by the airport authorities? IIRC the international terminal is a relatively new addition (2010?) but clearly the amount of demand for having an airport located close to Tokyo is exceeding supply. I understand they're making some improvements for the 2020 Olympics but suspect it won't be enough for the groundswell of international airlines wanting to swoop in. Also, how easy would it be to expand HND compared to, say, NRT?
Originally Posted by hirohito888
They're already adding 2 more gates to the international terminal and adding 7 gates to T2 (of which 4 are international/domestic swing gates) by 2020.
I don’t know anything about additional gates for the international terminal but Domestic Terminal 2 had three new gates (46-48) in the satellite added last December. It is currently being remodelled to include two gates (72-73) dedicated to international flights and five gates (66-69, 71) which can be used by domestic or international flights at the other end of the terminal. I don’t think these are new gates as you will see on the maps below but more floor space is added to accommodate customs/immigration facilities, duty free shops and hopefully lounges. My understanding is these gates will be used exclusively by ANA.

New gate area being remodelled

Existing domestic terminal 2 with area under construction (bottom right)

hirohito888 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
generally agree, but noodle bar makes up for it. Love the japanese curry!
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I completely agree. I used to prefer NH at NRT, but now go directly to the UC. The other issues at the NH lounges are (i) nonstop boarding announcements during the afternoon departure bank, and (ii) long wait for showers.
Have you been to the nicer of the two NH lounges? I like it a lot better than the UC.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
I agree. Love the noodle bar...and the plum wine. Not to mention I just generally find it less noisy even though it can get quite crowded, as not near as many chatting on their phones, having loud conversations, etc.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, take a look at a satellite image of Haneda: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...!4d139.7798386

About the only realistic possibility would be to reclaim land from Tokyo Bay. There's a reason that they built NRT in the first place.
That explains a lot! Given HND handles about double the capacity of NRT I'm under the impression that the airport must be bursting at the seams, no? I would not be surprised if they ended up reclaiming a ton of land - they did that in KIX. Heck HKG is built entirely on reclaimed land if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever Tom Bradley may have done to you that you want to wipe his name off of TBIT, at least put the tilde in the right place in Oscar's name. It's Muñoz (although he often uses an Anglicized spelling and leaves it out).
Tom Bradley did nothing to me. The only reason I refer to it as the Oscar Muñoz United Premier Elite Terminal is that it contains arguably the best *A lounge in the US and is accessible to us UA elites who are travelling on domestic itineraries. Hence, in a way that terminal was designed for us UA elites in mind

And I'm not sure why AC *S would care about the *A lounge anyway, since she wouldn't have had access there either...
I think the implication would be that I would have guested her in (if she could survive the jog between T6 and the Oscar Muñoz terminal - ~25 minutes in length - I really got to consider getting myself one of those Boosted Boards).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2019 at 7:22 pm Reason: unneeded phrase removed
Old May 20, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Baley
I agree. Love the noodle bar...and the plum wine. Not to mention I just generally find it less noisy even though it can get quite crowded, as not near as many chatting on their phones, having loud conversations, etc.
Noodle bar. Pour your own sake. I always go to NH over UC when in NRT.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Noodle bar. Pour your own sake. I always go to NH over UC when in NRT.
And don’t forget the popular „salmon/tuna/prawn nigiri“ made to order guy.
oopl likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldclubber
There is another much nicer upstairs NH lounge at NRT, with windows and nice apron view, decent food offering, made to order nigiri at certain times, noodle bar with ANA curry etc. — like it a lot better than the UA Club.
We are going very OT but my flights usually leave from 3x gates and it’s quite a trek from the lounge you mention which is near 5x gates.

Have you been to the nicer of the two NH lounges? I like it a lot better than the UC.
And don’t forget the popular „salmon/tuna/prawn nigiri“ made to order guy.
I’m usually in a lounge at NRT mid-morning at the tail end of breakfast before they start bringing out food for lunch. According to ANA’s website made to order sushi is available in both lounges but for one hour each in the afternoon. I have therefore never had a chance to try it.

Returning to the UA Polaris Lounge discussion UA will have to consider carefully whether it’s worthwhile building a Polaris Lounge at NRT. With a reduced number of UA flights departing from NRT they will have to depend on J passengers on other *A flights which is only possible if other *A airlines are persuaded to pay for the privilege.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
It's not just number of flights though but connecting traffic. Even if the two airports had the same number of flights - NRT undoubtedly has more long-haul connections where the Polaris lounge would be incredibly valuable. Whereas at HND if a lot of travel terminates there it has little value for those passengers, and for folks leaving from HND I imagine folks arrive with less time than they do at NRT given the proximity to the city and types of travelers.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
We are going very OT but my flights usually leave from 3x gates and it’s quite a trek from the lounge you mention which is near 5x gates.

I’m usually in a lounge at NRT mid-morning at the tail end of breakfast before they start bringing out food for lunch. According to ANA’s website made to order sushi is available in both lounges but for one hour each in the afternoon. I have therefore never had a chance to try it.

Returning to the UA Polaris Lounge discussion UA will have to consider carefully whether it’s worthwhile building a Polaris Lounge at NRT. With a reduced number of UA flights departing from NRT they will have to depend on J passengers on other *A flights which is only possible if other *A airlines are persuaded to pay for the privilege.
Well, after a few visits to BKK this year, nothing at NRT seems „quite a trek“ to me.
But on a more serious note, I would always do the short walk to the upstairs NH lounge.

Concerning a Polaris lounge: UA will probably have to figure out at which airport there are more *A airlines willing to pay UA for access.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA will probably have to figure out at which airport there are more *A airlines willing to pay UA for access.
I will be interested to see how international Polaris lounge access plays out. For example, I would have to imagine that something like LHR-ZRH or LHR-FRA should not have access, once the LHR lounge is built, based on how UA treats access for Canada/most Latin America flights.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
This is United we are taking about....Polaris Lounge at international locations is a wishful thinking at the moment despite what the website indicates.

For example, has anyone even stand back and consider whether building a Polaris Lounge in HK to just serving three flights a day is even realistic! It is on the website so it must be true!

If it ever happens, chances are it will be yearsssss away!

Regarding NRT vs HND, the granting of HND slots is a perfect excuse for UA to do more research and planning about building a Polaris Lounge and push back the decision well into the future.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:58 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I will be interested to see how international Polaris lounge access plays out. For example, I would have to imagine that something like LHR-ZRH or LHR-FRA should not have access, once the LHR lounge is built, based on how UA treats access for Canada/most Latin America flights.
For some reason UA hates granting its own domestic flyers lounge access, and the majority of the US-Canada or US-Latin American flights would be on UA metal...

I assume they wouldn’t mind charging granting access to other airlines for Polaris access on shorter flights.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
For example, has anyone even stand back and consider whether building a Polaris Lounge in HK to just serving three flights a day is even realistic!
Yes, it's realistic, because they already have the space, and they are at a competitive disadvantage vis à vis CX.

Originally Posted by mr8
For some reason UA hates granting its own domestic flyers lounge access,
Have you seen the number of domestic flights they operate?
Originally Posted by mr8
I assume they wouldn’t mind charging granting access to other airlines for Polaris access on shorter flights.
If that were the case, AC and CM J flyers would already have access.

The reason that they restrict Polaris to long-haul flights is that they're aware that crowding has been an issue at the UC, and, rightly or wrongly, they've decided that's how they're going to segment the passengers between the UC and Polaris Lounge. I doubt that will change.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well, after a few visits to BKK this year, nothing at NRT seems „quite a trek“ to me.
The distances at BKK are much greater, but the crowds at NRT can be really thick, which make the walk feel longer.
Originally Posted by mr8
For some reason UA hates granting its own domestic flyers lounge access
It's no mystery at all. They want the Polaris experience to be exclusive, and that means not filling them to capacity every hour of the day.

Sometimes UA can't win. People criticize UA for overcrowded UCs, then carp about limited Polaris lounge access.
jsloan and AirbusFan2B like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.