Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade eligible fare class on half of a round trip.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hey there---

So, what I want to do is book a EWR-MUC ticket that is GPU eligible on the way over (so I can upgrade it)...

But I'm trying to save some money on the way back, so E+ is fine. I'd like the lowest fare class I can get.

I don't see a way to select a W-fare on the way over without also getting one on the way back, which seems like a waste...

Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. I'm a 1K

YTJK
Old May 18, 2019, 1:36 pm

You can search selected fare class and will appear under “fare class requested”. In addition to that you will also see the lowest fare that you can select as well. Mix and match.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
You can search selected fare class and will appear under “fare class requested”. In addition to that you will also see the lowest fare that you can select as well. Mix and match.
Yes, assuming the fare rules allow that combination.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, assuming the fare rules allow that combination.
this.

May very well be that that the cheapest price for the full round trip is W (or whatever the lowest upgrade-eligible fare class available is on the outbound). A K fare (for example) on the return may not be combinable with the W (or whatever) on the outbound, or the K fare available that will combine with a W May be higher than a W both ways.

YMMV, of course.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

Use the ITA matrix and with the advanced search choose the fare classes you want for each segment. If it's available and there is a valid fare combination it will find it. If there's not a valid fare with that combination of classes it will break the fare and price it as individual legs.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have done this many times but the other way round - cheapest fare on outbound and W on the return. Seems to work fine on the UA site.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Use the ITA matrix and with the advanced search choose the fare classes you want for each segment. If it's available and there is a valid fare combination it will find it.
It's considerably easier just to try the UA website, using the advanced search function to search by fare class. There's no way to click through ITA Matrix to book on UA, so even if Matrix says it's possible, you still have to find a way to actually book the ticket.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
If there's not a valid fare with that combination of classes it will break the fare and price it as individual legs.
For a TATL, that's not going to be possible. UA won't offer a one-way discount fare (W or lower).
Old May 18, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It's considerably easier just to try the UA website, using the advanced search function to search by fare class. There's no way to click through ITA Matrix to book on UA, so even if Matrix says it's possible, you still have to find a way to actually book the ticket.
For a TATL, that's not going to be possible. UA won't offer a one-way discount fare (W or lower).
ita with the plugin will let you book on e.g. Priceline which is perfectly fine to then upgrade un United.com. It can be easier at times than trying to make United.com sell you a ticket in the first place.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
ita with the plugin will let you book on e.g. Priceline
That is a seriously inferior option for multiple reasons.

It takes 30 seconds to run this search on united.com.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone...

I feel like an idiot..

But -- for the dates or fares I happened to be looking at, indeed the suggestion from emcampbe was true....

"May very well be that that the cheapest price for the full round trip is W (or whatever the lowest upgrade-eligible fare class available is on the outbound). A K fare (for example) on the return may not be combinable with the W (or whatever) on the outbound, or the K fare available that will combine with a W May be higher than a W both ways."

anyway it was confusing me, I thought it was forcing the W fare into the table because I asked for it in the search. It also confused me because the search attributes aren't segment of the trip specific, so I thought it was just giving me a blanket W fare regardless.

Thanks all for the kind responses.

YTJK
Old May 19, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ytjk
It also confused me because the search attributes aren't segment of the trip specific, so I thought it was just giving me a blanket W fare regardless.
You will always have the option of combining "Requested Fare Class" on one direction with "Lowest Available" for the other provided the fare rules permit that combination.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is superior in cases where united.dumb bombs out ... otherwise, clearly the direct booking is superior.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ytjk
anyway it was confusing me, I thought it was forcing the W fare into the table because I asked for it in the search. It also confused me because the search attributes aren't segment of the trip specific, so I thought it was just giving me a blanket W fare regardless.
You can definitely select different columns for each part of a roundtrip or multi-city search, although it's important to double-check the confirmation page and make sure you're buying what you want. United.com will occasionally re-fare your search for no immediately apparent reason.

Originally Posted by cfischer
it is superior in cases where united.dumb bombs out ... otherwise, clearly the direct booking is superior.
I would never attempt to purchase anything but the cheapest available fare on Priceline.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
it's important to double-check the confirmation page and make sure you're buying what you want. United.com will occasionally re-fare your search for no immediately apparent reason.
Great point. The website is particularly prone to do this when you've elected to search by fare class.
jsloan and artvandalay like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can definitely select different columns for each part of a roundtrip or multi-city search, although it's important to double-check the confirmation page and make sure you're buying what you want. United.com will occasionally re-fare your search for no immediately apparent reason.

I would never attempt to purchase anything but the cheapest available fare on Priceline.
There are plenty of cases where this is fine and valid option. Not sure why cheapest fare only. Recent example: BOS-ZRH UA-coded LX-op in K-class, overnight in ZRH, then a WK flight to JTR in K-class, return on LH in P-class ATH-FRA-BOS. Priceline priced it perfectly and issued a 016 ticket. Good luck getting this on united.com at all or finding an agent willing/able to price this. If successful at all you'll probably spend an hour on the phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.