Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM interline

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

LATAM interline

I've been looking for some specific timing for a trip to Montevideo, and I can get the UA site to price for me YYZ-EWR-LIM-MVD // MVD-GRU-IAD-YYZ

The intra-south america flights are on LATAM Peru and Brazil respectively.

Does UA interline with either or both? Or will I have to collect my bag and check in again?

If they do, there is only an hour for the connection at GRU, is that enough time?

Thanks

​​​​
Old May 15, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Both JJ/LA and LP are on the list, so I think you're fine.

Code:
Interline Agreements:
Flying UA           

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AC  AD  AF  AH  AI  AM  AR  AS  AV  AX  AY  AZ  A3  
       BA  BB  BE  BI  BM  BR  BT  BW  CI  CM  CS  CX  CZ  DL  
       EI  EN  EQ  ET  EV  EW  EY  FB  FI  FJ  FM  FV  GA  GF  
       GK  G3  HA  HO  HP  HU  HX  IB  JJ  JL  JO  JP  JQ  J2  
       KA  KC  KE  KG  KL  KM  KQ  KS  KU  KX  LA  LH  LO  LP  
       LR  LX  LY  MD  ME  MF  MH  MI  MK  MQ  MS  MU  MX  NH  
       NU  NX  NZ  OA  OK  OM  OO  OS  OU  OZ  O6  PG  PR  PS  
       PX  PZ  QF  RO  SA  SK  SN  SQ  SU  SZ  S2  S4  S7  TA  
       TG  TJ  TK  TP  T0  UA  UK  UL  UN  UP  UX  VA  VN  VS  
       VT  VW  WK  WM  WP  WS  WY  XF  XL  ZH  2K  3K  3M  4B  
       4M  4Q  4U  7C  7H  9B  9K  9W
1 hour is below the MCT going I-I to UA at GRU, so I don't think that's going to work for you and I'm surprised UA would offer it since they shouldn't ticket it if EF has the MCT right.

Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at GRU
Incoming airline JJ
Outgoing airline UA
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE   1.00  1.00  1.30  1.00
OFFLINE  1.00  1.00  1.30  1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-UA II  1.30 ALL  - FLT    1 - 2119
Old May 16, 2019, 12:12 am

from my own experience, they do interline with LATAM brazil but not LATAM argentina. i had an AEP-GRU-IAD flight, with first segment in LATAM brazil. flight was delayed which was going to make me miss my UA GRU-IAD so i was placed on a LATAM argentina AEP-GRU to make the connection but they had to retag the bag and could not check it all the way thru. of course i could not pick it up and re-check it so i left it in GRU and UA sent to me one day later with no problem. so short answer: it depends which LATAM operates the flights, and even if your flight is operated by one that does interline, in case of IRROPS or re-routing you could be placed on one that does not. leave plenty of time for connections.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If UA sells the ticket, they interline.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell

1 hour is below the MCT going I-I to UA at GRU, so I don't think that's going to work for you and I'm surprised UA would offer it since they shouldn't ticket it if EF has the MCT right.

Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at GRU
Incoming airline JJ
Outgoing airline UA
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.00 1.30 1.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.00 1.30 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-UA II 1.30 ALL - FLT 1 - 2119
It does list it is an option, so if I don't check a bag is it doable? Seems tight but would be worth the risk if it could work.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
It does list it is an option, so if I don't check a bag is it doable? Seems tight but would be worth the risk if it could work.
What's your alternative? What's your backup plan? Do you have permission to enter Brazil, if necessary, to wait for the next day's flight?

UA is telling you that there is a significant chance of missing that flight. Even if you ignore the UA rule that should prohibit this ticket from being sold, the airport's I-I transit time is one hour, and it sounds like you're exactly on that line. A one minute schedule change and your connection becomes illegal. And: just because a connection is legal doesn't mean you'll make it; it just means the airline is willing to rebook you if you don't.

According to the OAG, LATAM Brazil has a better on-time percentage than LATAM group as a whole, at 83.4% -- better than United or American, and within percentage points of Delta. So, it's not impossible -- the question you have to answer for yourself is what the consequences of a missed connection are.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
What's your alternative? What's your backup plan? Do you have permission to enter Brazil, if necessary, to wait for the next day's flight?
Thanks, looks like the backup would be to go from GRU through Panama on Copa, as there is a redeye that leaves later that night at 2:50am. No visa for Brazil so that would be the best bet, and the overall arrival delay would be 10 hrs. The alternative would be to leave MVD the next morning anyways.

I checked the flights in and out of GRU and it looks like it would be a T3 I-I connection. I don't have to change terminals, and I assume I can stay airside, so it all depends on whether we arrive on time...
Old Jan 30, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I'm flying ABC-LIM-EWR, with ABC-LIM on LATAM and LIM-EWR on UA. 016 ticket. Layover in LIM is 14 hours during the day... nicely timed for some sightseeing and a nice meal or two. "ABC" is a South American city served by LATAM. I will be checking in with LATAM for the first flight.

If I have a checked bag, can I check it all the way through to EWR, even though it's a 14 hour layover in LIM? Or will I need to pick my bag up in LIM and keep it with me?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I'm flying ABC-LIM-EWR, with ABC-LIM on LATAM and LIM-EWR on UA. 016 ticket. Layover in LIM is 14 hours during the day... nicely timed for some sightseeing and a nice meal or two. "ABC" is a South American city served by LATAM. I will be checking in with LATAM for the first flight.

If I have a checked bag, can I check it all the way through to EWR, even though it's a 14 hour layover in LIM? Or will I need to pick my bag up in LIM and keep it with me?
Not a UA question, since you will be checking in with LA, and its policies will therefore apply.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not a UA question, since you will be checking in with LA, and its policies will therefore apply.
Took a look at LATAM's policies and, to my surprise, their policies for checked baggage on connections are clearly shown on their website with country and context specific information. Wow.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.