Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

At what point do you cut your losses when trying to get UA to honor a fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Dear UA Sages,

UAL.com had a fare I like. But the page errorred out when I finalized. Happened three times.

I called ual.com, and I got a great agent who honored the fare (as opposed the the fare that was $400 higher). But she booked the wrong departure. I realized it right away and told her. She asked me to hold while she fixed it. But after a while she asked to put me on hold. I explained that I needed to start a meeting. She said she would fix it and that she would send me an email within 10 minutes.

An hour later, no email.

So I called back and the agent pulled up the record with the wrong flight. There were no notes, so I explained the situation. She put me on hold for 10 minutes, then the call dropped.

I called back. Next agent saw a new note that my fare could not be honored. But he tried hard to find another similar fare. But there was nothing. The fare bucket just wasn't there to pull from.

I went back on line and saw the fare still being offered. So I called again. Agent had me on hold for 15 minutes. She then said, "I got it for you!" Then the line cut out again.

I can persist, and I will probably get the fare. But to what end? I value my time, and it could take a couple of hours to push this through.

Is it worth it?
Old May 15, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA
My question is why does your line keep cutting out?

I'd try one more time from a landline or just try to SDC.
jsloan, SFO 1K and Icydubloon like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
My question is why does your line keep cutting out?

I'd try one more time from a landline or just try to SDC.
It was a land line. If it were a cell phone, I would have a better excuse, right?!
Old May 15, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
It was a land line. If it were a cell phone, I would have a better excuse, right?!
Sounds like you need a new land line phone provider first.....
jsloan likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Sounds like you need a new land line phone provider first.....
Sounds like my old boss, always on my end in his opinion for dropped calls. Never mind the 4 conference calls per day that are perfect, until I call him. Aren’t many agents working from home now with UA? I would imagine they have an IP phone, and I’m betting they don’t have fiber into their home as I do.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ask for Web Support in cases like this and get a better landline provider.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ask for Web Support in cases like this and get a better landline provider.
yeah, web support is the way to go. Also, sometimes booking it without paying and calling in just for that can be the way to go.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zrs70
Then you need to call from your cell phone... or any phone other than your landline. :-)

Anyway​​​​​​ I would persist and try to finalize the booking as soon as possible.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:26 pm

Did you try booking through an OTA like Expedia. I know sometimes I have to do that when UA won't show me US market fares when I enter my Canadian billing address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.