Lhr-den going all year?

Old May 15, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Lhr-den going all year?

I was told by one of the GS managers at Heathriw iin April that the above direct flight was going to be going all year which obvioulsy would include ski season. I see nothing is loaded and just wondered if anyone else had heard this or could confirm before I book the direct BA which is very cheap at the moment?
Old May 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I'll be back at the airport in about 5 hours. I'll swing by the UA club and see if anyone has heard this as well.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks
Old May 15, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's not in the schedule but would require UA either obtaining a 17th winter LHR slot pair or reducing service in an existing market to accommodate the DEN flight. The new DEN-FRA will be year-round.

Until about five years ago, I believe SFO-LHR was 1x daily in the winter. I'd be surprised if UA cut any existing LHR frequencies to fund DEN.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2024), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The SFO flights are usually fairly empty at the back but seem to be fairly full at the front. No idea how much of that is upgraders or P fares but I assume they make decent money.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I asked a couple of my GS favorites in the United club when I got back in yesterday, and they had not heard anything about this flight going year-round. The only one they were aware of was the FRA flight.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
I also heard (from an unnamed source) that DEN-AMS/CDG were being considered for next summer...
Old May 16, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BE-58
I also heard (from an unnamed source) that DEN-AMS/CDG were being considered for next summer...
Finally a little DEN respect, but a bit surprised about those markets. It must show a strong O/D interest, as I would have thought they would have either added another MUC flight along LH or maybe even CPH for the *A connections. The TATL DEN market seems a little strange right now, and I'm not sure what's driving it. Feels like demand is accelerating, as perhaps tourism to Colorado is catching interest. And yes I'm sure CPH isn't in the top 5 of Europe destinations from DEN, so that will be interesting.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Surprised about AMS, as I felt that was always a little lighter of a premium load compared to other TATL destinations. Nonetheless, would be great to see DEN get more international routes. Perhaps they can ponder building a Polaris lounge at some point
Old May 17, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by katan
maybe even CPH for the *A connections.
UA and SK aren't particularly close partners, and SK's not in the TATL JV, so I'm not sure that UA is all that worried about selling onward connections on SK flights. Besides, how many major markets are there that SK can serve from CPH that LH doesn't serve from FRA? If UA were to add additional TATL DEN flights, I have to believe they'd be targeting O&D travelers (especially on the European side).
Old May 17, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
I also heard (from an unnamed source) that DEN-AMS...were being considered for next summer...
Weed hub to weed hub.
SkiPremier, wrp96, rockdoc and 7 others like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA and SK aren't particularly close partners, and SK's not in the TATL JV, so I'm not sure that UA is all that worried about selling onward connections on SK flights. Besides, how many major markets are there that SK can serve from CPH that LH doesn't serve from FRA? If UA were to add additional TATL DEN flights, I have to believe they'd be targeting O&D travelers (especially on the European side).
UA wouldnt add back any Scandinavian destinations from elsewhere without first restoring EWR-CPH and EWR-OSL, both of which got cut over the past several years. Hard to see that happening, given that the fleet is pretty stretched for the summer already, particularly the 752s that used to ply these routes.
EWR764 and jsloan like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I always thought that EWR-OSL was ended when the kroner took a big dive back in 2014. Before that, the Norwegians buying power against the dollar was so high that they could get cheap (to them) seats. When it crashed, the opposite was true and it was better to pay SAS with the native currency since they don't have as much dollar based expenses. That's why I thought EWR-ARN stayed as the Euro was much more stable/predictable.

However, that doesn't explain CPH. So I'd have to think about that one more. And I agree there isn't much value over FRA/MUC, so agreed that targeting O/D markets makes sense if they can somehow find the demand.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by katan
That's why I thought EWR-ARN stayed as the Euro was much more stable/predictable.
None of the Scandinavian countries use the euro. Sweden has the kroner as well, just a version that is spelled slightly differently. It is abbreviated SEK.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think as more 76Ls enter the fleet, UA may have enough J capacity ex-EWR to shift one of the redeye frequencies to DEN.

Originally Posted by EWR764
It's not in the schedule but would require UA either obtaining a 17th winter LHR slot pair or reducing service in an existing market to accommodate the DEN flight. The new DEN-FRA will be year-round.

Until about five years ago, I believe SFO-LHR was 1x daily in the winter. I'd be surprised if UA cut any existing LHR frequencies to fund DEN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.