Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lhr-den going all year?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by CO DCA
True not just for O&D, connecting through DEN typically involves at 15 to 25% premium vs. even IAH.
Seems to be the same if connecting to NRT vs. everywhere else. (the only TPAC flight from DEN)
Old May 24, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Based on Wikipedia, the cities (in order) would be TXL, MAD, and FCO. The likeliest, IMO (based purely on speculation) would be a summer seasonal SFO-FCO, which I think is a remote possibility at best.
As noted below, BRU is probably on the list, too, but there has been a bit of upheaval with SN in the LH Group, and I'm wondering how all that will play out. BRU is an important EU business market and serves a number of valuable African destinations, so SFO makes sense given that EWR/ORD/IAD already have service. IAH-BRU is a dark horse for oil connections, too.

Despite all the adds to Italy, MXP has remained with a single, year-round EWR flight. I would expect IAD-MXP before anything else (UA flew this in the somewhat distant past). Out of SFO, a seasonal FCO is more realistic, IMO.

Returning to DEN, I think DEN-CDG/AMS/ZRH all warrant consideration, at least as seasonal service, in the years to come.

Originally Posted by 764toHI
In the W20 schedule, UA has 2 763s in the 6pm window departing within 35 minutes of each other. I think these flights existed this past winter as a 763 and 764 turn. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility they decide to consolidate these flights or fly to both EWR and DEN (3x or 4x and v.v.) using the same slot. I get where you're coming from but I've been on these flights midweek in winter before and they are a ghost town - if UA is going to experiment with taking DEN-LHR year round, this seems to be a logical substitute.
Going the other direction (westbound) is where UA would lose the coverage if EWR is dropped to 4x. In the winter, UA does LHR-EWR at roughly 8am, 10am, 12pm, 4pm and 6pm, which is about the bare minimum schedule UA needs to compete with essentially hourly service on BA/AA, and VS/DL to a lesser extent. I'd argue that a 6th westbound frequency is probably warranted, if it fell in either in the 2:00pm or 8:00pm hours, but right now the schedule is at least adequate for business travelers desiring some flexibility. The DEN slot (previously used for EWR #6 ) is an 11:25 departure from LHR, which previously fell about an hour between existing LHR-EWR frequencies at a time of day in which UA has sufficient schedule coverage.

Eastbound, with the departure window between 10am and 6pm essentially off limits because of curfew, having multiple flights at short intervals in the evening hours is pretty standard.
764toHI and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by EWR764; May 24, 2019 at 8:50 am
Old May 24, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
As noted below, BRU is probably on the list, too, but there has been a bit of upheaval with SN in the LH Group, and I'm wondering how all that will play out. BRU is an important EU business market and serves a number of valuable African destinations, so SFO makes sense given that EWR/ORD/IAD already have service. IAH-BRU is a dark horse for oil connections, too.
I'm skeptical on BRU since it feels like the existing BRU flights are relatively easy upgrades.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by findark
I'm skeptical on BRU since it feels like the existing BRU flights are relatively easy upgrades.
This is true, anecdotally (I too see a lot of PZ), but it is interesting in that it was one of the first Atlantic markets to sell Premium Plus and dedicated "real" Polaris seating, including to IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.