Wiki Posts
Search

Lhr-den going all year?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

None of the Scandinavian countries use the euro. Sweden has the kroner as well, just a version that is spelled slightly differently. It is abbreviated SEK.
Not quite true. Finland uses the Euro.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Not to get too OT, but I view Finland as distinctively different from Norway / Denmark / Sweden. Wikipedia seems to agree with me as well.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold

None of the Scandinavian countries use the euro. Sweden has the kroner as well, just a version that is spelled slightly differently. It is abbreviated SEK.
Thanks for the correction. After going to Norway more than a dozen times in the last 6 years, I've never been in Sweden even to transit an airport. Funny enough I will go through ARN on Monday to..yes Norway.

The currency shift also doesn't hold much water as the SEK and the NOK moved together in 2014-2015. However, I still think the currency thing was a big part of killing EWR-OSL. ARN just had better traffic to support the downturn. Not coincidentally, I think that the loss of EWR-OSL also has to do with the collapse of natural resource prices. I know i met many a Norwegian on UA38/39 going to Houston. Statoil or supporting companies.

Back to the point, is SK a reasonable company for UA North American companies to focus on, and would DEN->SK market make any sense. Now corrected I would say no. ARN and CPH are even weighted markets to me, and the fact we can't even support both from EWR is pretty telling.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I guess the question to ask is: what is the largest, underserved TATL market that UA flies from EWR/ORD/IAD/IAH but not from SFO or LAX?
Old May 22, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Finland is a Nordic country but technically not Scandinavian. Whilst it was controlled by Sweden for a period and Swedish is still widely spoken, Finnish is not a Scandinavian language and geographically Finland is not on the Scandinavian peninsula.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think as more 76Ls enter the fleet, UA may have enough J capacity ex-EWR to shift one of the redeye frequencies to DEN.
The frequency is just as important as capacity, though. That's why (in the past) more flights switched to 757s in the winter. Having multiple departure options through the day is important for business travelers, too.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I guess the question to ask is: what is the largest, underserved TATL market that UA flies from EWR/ORD/IAD/IAH but not from SFO or LAX?
Based on Wikipedia, the cities (in order) would be TXL, MAD, and FCO. The likeliest, IMO (based purely on speculation) would be a summer seasonal SFO-FCO, which I think is a remote possibility at best.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Based on Wikipedia, the cities (in order) would be TXL, MAD, and FCO. The likeliest, IMO (based purely on speculation) would be a summer seasonal SFO-FCO, which I think is a remote possibility at best.
I agree.. all of the ideas that popped into my head (MUC, ZRH, AMS) are all recent additions to the SFO network already
Old May 23, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by katan
Finally a little DEN respect, but a bit surprised about those markets. It must show a strong O/D interest, as I would have thought they would have either added another MUC flight along LH or maybe even CPH for the *A connections. The TATL DEN market seems a little strange right now, and I'm not sure what's driving it. Feels like demand is accelerating, as perhaps tourism to Colorado is catching interest. And yes I'm sure CPH isn't in the top 5 of Europe destinations from DEN, so that will be interesting.
The DEN market is pretty expensive to Europe for O/D on UA. IcelandAir seems to be doing well in the discount segment and UA seems to be trying to get the premium prices once IcelandAir fills their flight. They are also pretty high priced (at least this summer) for any flight not including a Sat night stay - sticking it to business travelers. I'd be surprised if they added CPH given the coverage of LH for Europe connections and flights to both FRA and MUC (agreeing that CPH isn't likely in the top 5 destinations from DEN). There is competition with the BA flight to LHR for connections in Europe and beyond. The LH flights seem to be pretty full (at least in my anecdotal data points).
Old May 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's funny how people rave how inexpensive FI is, and somehow my data points always prove otherwise. FI tends to be a few hundred dollars higher compared to UA, SK, or LH. Probably because I only travel to Sweden during high season; and maybe because I tend to book my flights only 3-4 months in advance. If I have to connect (doesn't really matter to me where), I might as well pick cheaper flights with decent travel times. There is a decent sized Swedish expat community here in Colorado; and a few Swedish corporations are using DEN as their first North American office. However, none of that is enough to support another non-stop DEN-ARN/CPH where there are already options from SFO/LAX/IAD/ORD/EWR. It's also a moot point since the SEK is the weakest it's been against the USD in almost 20 years.

If DN survives to see another few years, I could potentially see them open DEN-OSL/ARN. Plenty of connection options from there to support O/D traffic.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tods27
The DEN market is pretty expensive to Europe for O/D on UA.
That is an understatement. I've had 9 trips to Europe this year, and all but one have been north of $3k for the cheapest available Y fare... It used to be that >$2k was a bit expensive, $1700 was about right, and anything lower than that was a bargain.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
In the W20 schedule, UA has 2 763s in the 6pm window departing within 35 minutes of each other. I think these flights existed this past winter as a 763 and 764 turn. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility they decide to consolidate these flights or fly to both EWR and DEN (3x or 4x and v.v.) using the same slot. I get where you're coming from but I've been on these flights midweek in winter before and they are a ghost town - if UA is going to experiment with taking DEN-LHR year round, this seems to be a logical substitute.

Originally Posted by EWR764
The frequency is just as important as capacity, though. That's why (in the past) more flights switched to 757s in the winter. Having multiple departure options through the day is important for business travelers, too.
I think SFO-BRU/MXP are likely candidates.

EWR764 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
It's funny how people rave how inexpensive FI is, and somehow my data points always prove otherwise. FI tends to be a few hundred dollars higher compared to UA, SK, or LH. Probably because I only travel to Sweden during high season; and maybe because I tend to book my flights only 3-4 months in advance. If I have to connect (doesn't really matter to me where), I might as well pick cheaper flights with decent travel times. There is a decent sized Swedish expat community here in Colorado; and a few Swedish corporations are using DEN as their first North American office. However, none of that is enough to support another non-stop DEN-ARN/CPH where there are already options from SFO/LAX/IAD/ORD/EWR. It's also a moot point since the SEK is the weakest it's been against the USD in almost 20 years.

If DN survives to see another few years, I could potentially see them open DEN-OSL/ARN. Plenty of connection options from there to support O/D traffic.
Could be your end-destination vs what I tend to look at (for business I need DEN-FRA) that makes a big difference. I also have seen a lot of friends book FI for Europe trips and the fares they quote are pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by GBadger
That is an understatement. I've had 9 trips to Europe this year, and all but one have been north of $3k for the cheapest available Y fare... It used to be that >$2k was a bit expensive, $1700 was about right, and anything lower than that was a bargain.
Yep. It seems that they are really trying to stick to Sat night stay requirements. Even with our corporate discount, DEN-FRA for late June has pretty much held firm at $2600 (on UA.com it's well over $3000) for a Sat-Fri itin (no Sat night stay). If I add the Saturday night stay, the non-stop flights are over $2000. LH has opened up T fares a few times, but I'm not willing to take a non-upgradeable fare on LH.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think SFO-BRU/MXP are likely candidates.
UA tried starting a second EWR-BRU a few years back, but it got canceled around the time of the terrorist attack in Brussels. I would think that they may try restarting that first, perhaps? That said, it would be nice to see SFO add more TATL destinations, although there is less obvious low-hanging fruit right now since they have added MUC, ZRH and AMS.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by tods27
The DEN market is pretty expensive to Europe for O/D on UA. IcelandAir seems to be doing well in the discount segment and UA seems to be trying to get the premium prices once IcelandAir fills their flight. They are also pretty high priced (at least this summer) for any flight not including a Sat night stay - sticking it to business travelers.
True not just for O&D, connecting through DEN typically involves at 15 to 25% premium vs. even IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.