EWR to GUA- Schedule Reduction?

Old May 15, 19, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Possible Schedule Reduction- Now What?

Booked Non-stop flights from EWR to GUA Nov. 28- Dec. 3 (UA1207 and UA1208). Non-stop seasonal service was bookable starting on November 27- now, the first bookable flight from EWR to GUA is December 4. UA acknowledges this, but my original flights are still showing as booked and valid. Phone reps were uninformed, only admitting something was going to happen, but they were unsure as to when. Does anyone have an internal way of checking what's actually going on with these flights? Or, in past experience, after a flight is no longer bookable, how long until I'm notified it's officially cancelled? Also, is there any official policy as to rebooking to a completely different timeframe when a scheduled non-stop (the only non-stop, in this case), is cancelled? If I can't do these non-stop flights, I'll lose 2 days of work and would instead prefer to go in July. Is this feasible?

Last edited by latke; May 15, 19 at 1:03 pm
Old May 15, 19, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by latke View Post
If I can't do these non-stop flights, I'll lose 2 days of work and would instead prefer to go in July. Is this feasible?
Probably not, but if the fare in July is similar, you can cancel and rebook once/if the cancellation appears in your record.
Old May 15, 19, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Sadly, more expensive tickets, and only 7 weeks away...very stressful, as I see a hotel I'd love to book but it's non-cancellable.
Old May 15, 19, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would start by calling back and then speaking with a supervisor.

As to rebooking for different dates, but at the same fare, there is no such policy. However, it is a reasonable request and I would call back and speak to a supervisor if necessary. As to travel on different dates, there is no specific policy, but it is a reasonable request and you should be ready to make it on the spot if you are permitted to do so. The next agent might not do it or might put you through the wringer trying.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 19 at 2:02 pm Reason: formatting
Old May 15, 19, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would call back and speak to a supervisor if necessary. As to travel on different dates, there is no specific policy, but it is a reasonable request and you should be ready to make it on the spot if you are permitted to do so. The next agent might not do it or might put you through the wringer trying.
The supervisor was powerless, claiming the flight is still showing on MY booking, while admitting there were only 15 seats sold for the flight I am on, and one cannot book any more tickets.
Old May 15, 19, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by latke View Post
The supervisor was powerless, claiming the flight is still showing on MY booking, while admitting there were only 15 seats sold for the flight I am on, and one cannot book any more tickets.
They're not likely to make any changes until your record is updated.

If you can post some official correspondence from UA about the seasonality change, try a direct message to United's Twitter handle. They get pretty good reviews.
Old May 15, 19, 1:25 pm

If the flight actually comes off the schedule, then there actually is a policy: according to the CoC your options (technically United's options) are rebook an another flight within 7 days of the original flight with no fare difference or change fee, rebook on any flight to any destination within a year with no change fee (but with difference in fare), or a full refund. If they no longer serve the city you're flying to, they can also book you on another carrier, but not relevant here because they serve through IAH. Of course reps could offer more, but they should at least offer you those three options.

If the flight is in limbo not sure you have many options other than to wait.
Old May 15, 19, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The schedule still says starts 27 Nov 2019 but the fare classes are zeroed out thru 3 Dec. This may be under internal discussion and probably was a recent action. The agents can see nothing telling them the flight has been canceled - yet. This is suspicious but give it a few days. You then can reschedule via IAH on the same day or move 1 day to the 4th, Changing to July is in the cards.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 19 at 2:19 pm
Old May 15, 19, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The schedule still says starts 27 Nov 2019 but the fare classes are zeroed out thru 3 Dec. This may be under internal discussion and probably was a recent action. The agents can see nothing telling them the flight has been canceled - yet. This is suspicious but give it a few days. You then can reschedule via IAH on the same day or move 1 day to the 4th, Changing to July is in the cards.
Awesome- thanks for researching this. I'll update if I hear anything new. I don't mind going through IAH on the outbound but the inbound was a red-eye which enabled a full day of travel. Heading back via IAH would kill the whole day.