Wiki Posts
Search

Where to credit/spend after hitting 1k?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Where to credit/spend after hitting 1k?

I have crossed 1K mark recently (for the first time), and still have at least 5 business trip planned this year. They are all SFO to east-coast.
My situation:
  1. The remaining trip will be paid P/Z fare, so I don't need free upgrade
  2. I don't think I will hit GS because my PQD is quite low
  3. The additional GPU per 25K doesn't seem that attractive
  4. I plan to use award travel primarily for flights between SFO-asia, e.g. Japan and China.
In that case, is it a good idea to keep flying UA or try to find another airline to diversify the miles/status. If so, what would be a good choice for me?
Old May 15, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My general answer here is that presumably you started flying UA because it was the best airline for your travel, so you should keep flying UA. The GPUs and lifetime miles might not be what you need, but they're not worthless either.

If your "East Coast" destinations are served nonstop by another carrier, you could conceivably build status there to diversify your options. However, I think adding a connection to do so would be crazy.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
My general answer here is that presumably you started flying UA because it was the best airline for your travel, so you should keep flying UA. The GPUs and lifetime miles might not be what you need, but they're not worthless either.

If your "East Coast" destinations are served nonstop by another carrier, you could conceivably build status there to diversify your options. However, I think adding a connection to do so would be crazy.
+1

Only thing that could change my mind is if there was a compelling price/service difference. Or if you already had or are trying to maintain another carriers status.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I don't know the intricacies, but what about crediting UA flights to another *A carrier, if there are enough miles to get status there. For example, having direct status on ANA might bring some benefits . . .
Old May 15, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
... For example, having direct status on ANA might bring some benefits . . .
Unless you fly ANA, the only thing *G on ANA would add over 1K on UA is UC access on domestic-only UA itins.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I'm not sure how many points you can accrue with 4-5 trips, but my thought would be to consider either AS or AA, because you'd get access to a different set of partner inventory for the desired award flights to Asia. Not necessarily a better set, mind you, just a different one. However, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that you could find a JL or CX award on dates that you can't find an NH or BR award.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not sure how many points you can accrue with 4-5 trips, but my thought would be to consider either AS or AA, because you'd get access to a different set of partner inventory for the desired award flights to Asia. Not necessarily a better set, mind you, just a different one. However, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that you could find a JL or CX award on dates that you can't find an NH or BR award.
That's what I do. Once my UA PQM/PQD is met I fly AA. Never enough for status, but I have a nice lump of miles I can use on other partners and to destinations UA doesn't fly.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After renewing 1K I might fly another airline just to check it out.
higher_flyer and perkele like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
AS has a very generous mileage program, and it might be worth considering if they serve your destinations.

In P/I class, you'll get 13750 miles per trip (5,000 base miles, 75% class of service bonus, 100% promotional bonus*). If you status match to 75k status, you'll also get 125% bonus on top of that.

All in, you'd end up with 70-100k miles at the end of the year, enough for a CX First Class flight for example.

Promotion link: https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS1905
narvik likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The problem I see with crediting elsewhere is that you're starting at that airline's bottom. If you're buying business/first fares coast-to-coast then many of those benefits don't help you, but what about IRROPS assistance? What do you value an MP point at, because you earn 11 per dollar as a 1k, right? That goes a long way towards your Japan trips!

I like Delta's service domestically but I have no idea how it is at SFO and if you'd rather be connecting or not. Alaska still earns by distance which is nice too but their partners are starting to diminish. Plus, isn't *A one of the best for Asia routes, which is what you identified as your use of points?
jonisflying likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
AS has a very generous mileage program, and it might be worth considering if they serve your destinations.

In P/I class, you'll get 13750 miles per trip (5,000 base miles, 75% class of service bonus, 100% promotional bonus*). If you status match to 75k status, you'll also get 125% bonus on top of that.

All in, you'd end up with 70-100k miles at the end of the year, enough for a CX First Class flight for example.

Promotion link: https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS1905
Pretty similar situation last year to OP and I started to jump to AS and agree with the above post. Well didn't think I would hit spend for GS but ended up getting the invite so things let's just say changed. But even still I fly AS as #2 carrier for me. The only issue with the status match now is you kind of shorten your year. I think they take application for status match for 2020 in Oct. FWIW I did end up getting two years out of the status match so you could hope for that and apply now to get the 125% mileage bonus.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by fattygoose

. . .

In that case, is it a good idea to keep flying UA or try to find another airline to diversify the miles/status. If so, what would be a good choice for me?
One thing to keep in mind is lifetime status. If it’s of interest, every mile counts, so I’d stick with United.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
The problem I see with crediting elsewhere is that you're starting at that airline's bottom. If you're buying business/first fares coast-to-coast then many of those benefits don't help you, but what about IRROPS assistance? What do you value an MP point at, because you earn 11 per dollar as a 1k, right? That goes a long way towards your Japan trips!
The OP could do a status match/challenge to AA or Delta. It could be easily achievable if some of the 5 trips planned this year are long haul international.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
One thing to keep in mind is lifetime status. If it’s of interest, every mile counts, so I’d stick with United.
I would agree. But the time horizon for that makes it a tough sell for a lot of people. It also means minimizing travel on other airlines even within *A.

However, that's exactly why I was advised to stick with one program, and that has just borne fruit for me as a newly minted 1MM. It's also why I signed up the iapetus jrs. for MP. Yeah, they're still well south of 100,000 BIS miles, but maybe by the time they get to college they'll have a nice head start on lifetime status (if they'll even care about that). Maybe they won't have to wait until they're an old woman and an old man ... like their old man.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:40 pm
PPM

I don’t know about others but after 20 years as a 1K I find that flying 200,000 miles or more with spend of $30,000 or more does not get me any more benefits that those who fly bare minimum. I earn extra upgrades but cannot use them due to lack of availability. Letters and complaints do not help. I also have 5 or 6 international business flights after achieving 1K this year and have no intention of flying these on United because I am furious that I cannot use upgrades. Adding to the upgrade total gets me nowhere. Flying Turkish, Lot and others with better business class product and typically lower prices. Have had it with loyalty that only works one way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.