Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Severe Weather (May 15, 2019 - May 16, 2019)

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Severe Weather (May 15, 2019 - May 16, 2019)

Reply

Old May 15, 19, 9:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,228
Travel Waiver: San Francisco Severe Weather (May 15, 2019 - May 16, 2019)

Airports:
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)​​
Rebook by May 19, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David

DELee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 11:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RNO, NV, USA.
Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Posts: 3,888
DELee - Thank you for posting. I note delays and cancellations today on RNO-SFO. Currently light rain and overcast in Reno NV.

I am flying tomorrow, RNO-SFO / 4 hour wait / SFO-TPE. Any thoughts on what SFO weather and delays might be tomorrow? Thanks.
restlessinRNO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 11:12 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,066
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
I am flying tomorrow, RNO-SFO / 4 hour wait / SFO-TPE. Any thoughts on what SFO weather and delays might be tomorrow? Thanks.
The forecast is for rain in the morning. I would expect a traffic management program will impact all inbound RNO flights except the 6:20 a.m.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 11:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9
Nice little spot of rain out here near SMF as well. Pretty unusual for May and looks like another wave's coming through this afternoon and maybe tomorrow. The garden will be happy, at least.
Phrastus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 12:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 8,457
NWS has a winter storm warning posted for the mountains.. this is pretty crazy for May.
findark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 12:49 pm
  #6  
formerly marubill
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Marriott Plt
Posts: 205
Have a trip SAN-SFO-FRA with a layover of 91 min in SFO.
With this severe weather advisory, do you suggest switching to an alternative city? Can't get an earlier flight to connect in SFO to increase the layover time
MrCUBS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 12:53 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern California
Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Posts: 2,844
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The forecast is for rain in the morning. I would expect a traffic management program will impact all inbound RNO flights except the 6:20 a.m.
Assuming the aircraft inbound makes it and the relevant crew is sufficiently rested...
aCavalierInCoach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 12:56 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,228
Originally Posted by MrCUBS View Post
Have a trip SAN-SFO-FRA with a layover of 91 min in SFO.
With this severe weather advisory, do you suggest switching to an alternative city? Can't get an earlier flight to connect in SFO to increase the layover time
Depends on which flight you have (assuming tomorrow (05/16/19)) between SAN and SFO. As others have noted (hopefully) only the 1st flight into SFO won't get delayed.

Your challenge, if you try to do it, is which other UA hub/hublet would you connect to from SAN in order to connect from there to FRA. Something tells me that going east to ORD or IAH will work but you might not like the seat selections that remain on those flights.

Good luck.

David
DELee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 12:56 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 2,446
Originally Posted by MrCUBS View Post
Have a trip SAN-SFO-FRA with a layover of 91 min in SFO.
With this severe weather advisory, do you suggest switching to an alternative city? Can't get an earlier flight to connect in SFO to increase the layover time
If you need to get to FRA, the answer for me would be yes.
jsloan and Kacee like this.
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 1:35 pm
  #10  
formerly marubill
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Marriott Plt
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
If you need to get to FRA, the answer for me would be yes.
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Depends on which flight you have (assuming tomorrow (05/16/19)) between SAN and SFO. As others have noted (hopefully) only the 1st flight into SFO won't get delayed.

Your challenge, if you try to do it, is which other UA hub/hublet would you connect to from SAN in order to connect from there to FRA. Something tells me that going east to ORD or IAH will work but you might not like the seat selections that remain on those flights.

Good luck.

David
Thank you both, changed the flight to go through IAH
worldclubber likes this.
MrCUBS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 1:39 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR (sometimes CLE, SFO, BOS, LAX, SEA)
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 5,759
Tonight's UA351 BOS-SFO has posted a 90min departure delay (now departing 5:33pm).

Flifo shows a PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 724.

Let's see what happens -- will we more take two hours of rolling weather delays, or will United find us an earlier landing slot?

Exciting times in sit-and-waitville.
mherdeg is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 2:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
I'm on UA340 IAD to SFO and then onto UA863 to SYD. No delay posted yet. If it gets delayed and I miss 863. I'm pretty much out of luck until tomorrow, correct? Based on what I'm looking at that seems to be the case.
mloradites is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 2:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 8,457
Originally Posted by mloradites View Post
I'm on UA340 IAD to SFO and then onto UA863 to SYD. No delay posted yet. If it gets delayed and I miss 863. I'm pretty much out of luck until tomorrow, correct? Based on what I'm looking at that seems to be the case.
Yes... you could be in some trouble.

Code:
0340/15MAY
F IAD/ETD    640P  L01.00  AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
F SFO/ETA    910P  L00.41
D CRC//SFO POSSIBLE DELAYS-SEE GG TRAVEL WAIVER
D EWU/IAD/PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 935P☨SFO GDP☨
    
SKED  IAD  ORIG    540P              GTD  C12 SHIP 2809
      SFO   829P  TERM      GTA   82
Current slot assignment is for a 2h45 delay, and IAH-SYD is full up tonight.
findark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 2:34 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Yes... you could be in some trouble.


Code:
0340/15MAY
F IAD/ETD 640P L01.00 AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
F SFO/ETA 910P L00.41
D CRC//SFO POSSIBLE DELAYS-SEE GG TRAVEL WAIVER
D EWU/IAD/PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 935P☨SFO GDP☨

SKED IAD ORIG 540P GTD C12 SHIP 2809
SFO 829P TERM GTA 82

Current slot assignment is for a 2h45 delay, and IAH-SYD is full up tonight.
Ive been having dreams about something screwing up this trip since I booked it. Glad to know dreams can come true 😂. Thanks for confirming.
mloradites is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 2:36 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,649
My SFO - IAD flight today #517 is still listed on time. The weather here really isn't that bad now and I am near SFO now.
nomad420 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread