Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Severe Weather (May 15, 2019 - May 16, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Severe Weather (May 15, 2019 - May 16, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mloradites

Ive been having dreams about something screwing up this trip since I booked it. Glad to know dreams can come true ��. Thanks for confirming.
There's seats available on a 5PM IAD-YYZ connecting to AC YYZ-YVR-SEA, If you're at the airport, you might want to try talking an agent into rebooking you on it.

Alternatively, UA to DFW and then QF DFW-SYD. Or if you want some miles out of it, SA IAD-JNB and QF JNB-SYD.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
There's seats available on a 5PM IAD-YYZ connecting to AC YYZ-YVR-SEA, If you're at the airport, you might want to try talking an agent into rebooking you on it.

Alternatively, UA to DFW and then QF DFW-SYD. Or if you want some miles out of it, SA IAD-JNB and QF JNB-SYD.
I talked to someone and it doesn’t appear that there are many options. The delay just furthered as well. The only flight left to DFW is delayed so that is impossible and the rest aren’t worth it. It’s a two week vacation so one day won’t kill it. Thanks though for all the options.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
You probably already did this, but just in case. It looks like UA560 is still there. It shows full, but perhaps you could go to the gate agent. At a minimum you would probably be high on the stand by list if they understood that you were at high risk of a misconnect.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I'm on UA340 IAD to SFO and then onto UA863 to SYD. No delay posted yet. If it gets delayed and I miss 863. I'm pretty much out of luck until tomorrow, correct? Based on what I'm looking at that seems to be the case.
A little late in the day to try to fix getting to the West Coast from IAD. If you have to travel today and don't want to do the SFO connection, the only other option for SYD today is IAH-SYD if you have to travel UA - but you've missed the last IAD-IAH flight that you could have made that work by still being delayed on the ground in IAD.

Unless you get lucky and they switch UA340 to deplane in the 90/100s at SFO, the sprint from Gate 82 to Gate 102 will take probably just under 10 minutes. If the current estimated depart/arrival for UA340 holds as well as the current departure time of 10:45 pm and depending on where you're sitting on the 772, it will be close - no SFO Polaris lounge tonight unless you miss your connection.

Likely, you're not the only one trying to make the connection so there's probably some wiggle room there as well.

Good luck!

David
Old May 15, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
A little late in the day to try to fix getting to the West Coast from IAD. If you have to travel today and don't want to do the SFO connection, the only other option for SYD today is IAH-SYD if you have to travel UA - but you've missed the last IAD-IAH flight that you could have made that work by still being delayed on the ground in IAD.

Unless you get lucky and they switch UA340 to deplane in the 90/100s at SFO, the sprint from Gate 82 to Gate 102 will take probably just under 10 minutes. If the current estimated depart/arrival for UA340 holds as well as the current departure time of 10:45 pm and depending on where you're sitting on the 772, it will be close - no SFO Polaris lounge tonight unless you miss your connection.

Likely, you're not the only one trying to make the connection so there's probably some wiggle room there as well.

Good luck!

David
Yeah I’m actually wondering if maybe 863 isn’t delayed yet because it’s still several hours away. They seem to have posted the delays to SFO from IAD once they were 60-90 minutes out. From what I heard they are down to one runway and I’d think that would affect everyone in sequence?
Old May 15, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You need space, not just operating flights, to get rebooked. IAH-SYD has been J0 Y0 whenever I've looked for a while. Getting to DFW was also hard.. about the only (crazy) option I saw pop open was IAD-BNA-LAX-SYD on DL and VA.

Yeah I’m actually wondering if maybe 863 isn’t delayed yet because it’s still several hours away. They seem to have posted the delays to SFO from IAD once they were 60-90 minutes out. From what I heard they are down to one runway and I’d think that would affect everyone in sequence?
Slot assignment pushed back to 22:14 local departure (est 0015 local arrival)... OP is not going to get anywhere further than SFO tonight without a miracle:

Code:
0340/15MAY
F IAD/ETD    745P  L02.05  AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
F SFO/ETA   1015P  L01.46
D CRC//SFO POSSIBLE DELAYS-SEE GG TRAVEL WAIVER
D EWU/IAD/PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 1014P☨SFO GDP☨

SKED  IAD  ORIG    540P              GTD  C12 SHIP 2809
      SFO   829P  TERM      GTA   64

SFO is running with arrivals on 19L and departing on the 10s.. only down one runway although the acceptance rate was cut to 28 which seems extreme for the conditions. 863 is not going to delay due to wx, since the frame has been on the ground since last night and any additional delays risk timeout. It could face metering to push, but that's about it.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by findark
You need space, not just operating flights, to get rebooked. IAH-SYD has been J0 Y0 whenever I've looked for a while. Getting to DFW was also hard.. about the only (crazy) option I saw pop open was IAD-BNA-LAX-SYD on DL and VA.

Slot assignment pushed back to 22:14 local departure (est 0015 local arrival)... OP is not going to get anywhere further than SFO tonight without a miracle:

Code:
0340/15MAY
F IAD/ETD 745P L02.05 AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
F SFO/ETA 1015P L01.46
D CRC//SFO POSSIBLE DELAYS-SEE GG TRAVEL WAIVER
D EWU/IAD/PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 1014P☨SFO GDP☨

SKED IAD ORIG 540P GTD C12 SHIP 2809
SFO 829P TERM GTA 64

SFO is running with arrivals on 19L and departing on the 10s.. only down one runway although the acceptance rate was cut to 28 which seems extreme for the conditions. 863 is not going to delay due to wx, since the frame has been on the ground since last night and any additional delays risk timeout. It could face metering to push, but that's about it.
So all SFO flights got pushed to past 863. There are no open biz seats on 863 tomorrow so the club agent did some magic and has me provisionally booked on a flight to LAX tomorrow afternoon and then LAX to SYD in Biz tomorrow night. She could provide no record of that so I’m praying that’s all true!

She also said since I’m in biz I will get a hotel?
Old May 15, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

So all SFO flights got pushed to past 863. There are no open biz seats on 863 tomorrow so the club agent did some magic and has me provisionally booked on a flight to LAX tomorrow afternoon and then LAX to SYD in Biz tomorrow night. She could provide no record of that so I’m praying that’s all true!

You should be able to check your itinerary/PNR either via the app or online. Your two UA options for tomorrow are either SFO or LAX - no IAH.

Are you 1K or Global Services?

David

Last edited by DELee; May 15, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is correct under *A rules for intercontinental trips in business class. It's nice to see someone proactively offer it.

Are you 1K or Global Services?
For intercontinental trips, the *A policy calls for hotel + food for *G plus premium cabin travelers. I'm surprised to see UA offer it, but it's within policy.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
That is correct under *A rules for intercontinental trips in business class. It's nice to see someone proactively offer it.

For intercontinental trips, the *A policy calls for hotel + food for *G plus premium cabin travelers. I'm surprised to see UA offer it, but it's within policy.
I have no status. But yes I can see these backup flights in the app! I won’t get to pet a cheetah but I can live with this!
Kacee likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:31 pm

Saw the weather this morning, and decided to move my trip to Friday. Looks like it was the right decision, since my original flight is how showing a 3 hour delay with a 1 AM arrival.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And there are two more storms lined up.

I'm getting kinda nervous about a separate ticket connection next Thursday, UA to CX with four hours in between.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
This is the worst major NA airport operationally, EWR notwithstanding. Period.

Maybe someone will wake up someday and limit the scheduled flights so that when we get a little rain -- we're not talking massive thunderstorms folks like they had at IAH last week -- there aren't 3 hour delays.

I've lived here since 1976. I'm leaving this summer. I won't miss it when we move to AUS area, and will be sure to never connect through SFO if I can help it. In the meantime, all travel is via OAK.

Yes, I know I'm repeating myself, but it's absurd that what is arguably the tech capital of the US has the worst aviation infrastructure. And it's stupid that UA decided to abandon OAK when it did.
restlessinRNO and ucdtim17 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm at the SFO Polaris Lounge now. 9 am, and this place is getting busy. I'm not seeing evidence of major delays at SFO this morning. Cloudy day, good visibility, occasional sun.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by MrCUBS
Thank you both, changed the flight to go through IAH
Good idea. Hope it worked out fine for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.