Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Agent Difficulty Booking in New "Compass" System

1K Agent Difficulty Booking in New "Compass" System

Old May 13, 19, 8:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YEG
Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, WJ Gold, Alaska Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 326
1K Agent Difficulty Booking in New "Compass" System

Second time today I have phoned to book tickets. Asked for J class and agent says they can only book H. I said, "I want fully refundable / changeable." First agent couldn't make it happen. Second agent says, "We just got a new system called Compass; I've been doing this 23 years and here I can't even sell you a ticket!" I am now on hold. I want J and i want to combine 3 ETCs. Agent says it shouldn't be a problem but the new system isn't allowing it.

What is this Compass system? Isn't Sabre the name of the reservation game for the phone agents?
jmcintosh is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 8:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,813
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Second time today I have phoned to book tickets. Asked for J class and agent says they can only book H. I said, "I want fully refundable / changeable." First agent couldn't make it happen. Second agent says, "We just got a new system called Compass; I've been doing this 23 years and here I can't even sell you a ticket!" I am now on hold. I want J and i want to combine 3 ETCs. Agent says it shouldn't be a problem but the new system isn't allowing it.

What is this Compass system? Isn't Sabre the name of the reservation game for the phone agents?
Sabre? Thatís AA
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 8:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
Posts: 1,676
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Second time today I have phoned to book tickets. Asked for J class and agent says they can only book H. I said, "I want fully refundable / changeable." First agent couldn't make it happen. Second agent says, "We just got a new system called Compass; I've been doing this 23 years and here I can't even sell you a ticket!" I am now on hold. I want J and i want to combine 3 ETCs. Agent says it shouldn't be a problem but the new system isn't allowing it.

What is this Compass system? Isn't Sabre the name of the reservation game for the phone agents?
UA has SHARES.

well... had, from the sound of it.
bob_the_d is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 8:56 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 48,924
Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
UA has SHARES.

well... had, from the sound of it.
UA is still using SHARES, but from time creates new overlays (think user interface with builtin macros / scripts) on SHARES. Compass appears to be another new overlay.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 9:32 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YEG
Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, WJ Gold, Alaska Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post


Sabre? Thatís AA
👍🏼👍🏼 I knew Sabre was someone. Now that folks say SHARES that rings familiar. Hoping the new GUI / overlay / whatever it is will be an upgrade. History of United IT upgrades havenít always proven customer or agent friendly. 🥴
jmcintosh is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 3:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (for a few more days)
Posts: 4,267
Lord, I got excited thinking it was the end of SHARES. It'll be a good day when that beast goes the way of the wind.
Aussienarelle likes this.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 7:51 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: San Diego
Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA 1K
Posts: 192
Yikes, I have over $2,000 worth of ETC that are set to expire at the end of June. If I can't extend them by getting a fully refundable ticket, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with them.
therossinator is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 8:24 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS/ BOM
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,521
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post


👍🏼👍🏼 I knew Sabre was someone. Now that folks say SHARES that rings familiar. Hoping the new GUI / overlay / whatever it is will be an upgrade. History of United IT upgrades havenít always proven customer or agent friendly. 🥴
Sabre was the company that bought out Dunder Mifflin and started asking Jim, Dwight and the rest of the gang to sell Printers.
IADFlyer123 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 9:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,656
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Lord, I got excited thinking it was the end of SHARES. It'll be a good day when that beast goes the way of the wind.
You and I will be in the wind long before SHARES.

These are big, unwieldy beasts that take decades to unwind... and nobody has been talking about shutting down SHARES.

As someone with decades of experience in this stuff, unwinding a half century+ of custom coded business logic and processing for an embedded base business that's been built around such a thing isn't easy. Or, usually, cost effective. Or even business smart.
dmurphynj is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 9:27 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,012
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
As someone with decades of experience in this stuff, unwinding a half century+ of custom coded business logic and processing for an embedded base business that's been built around such a thing isn't easy. Or, usually, cost effective. Or even business smart.
In other words, passengers and employees will be paying for CO's short-sighted decision to keep SHARES over Apollo for years to come.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 9:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,239
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
In other words, passengers and employees will be paying for CO's short-sighted decision to keep SHARES over Apollo for years to come.
So, one off-hand comment by a random phone agent, in a completely unknown scenario, and we are right back to 2013 levels of dysfunction!

IMV, many of the ticketing changes over the past few years (proliferation of married-segment logic to all types of tickets, -LGT/Basic fares, etc.) have been deliberate business decisions rather than SHARES limitations, so at least there's that!
rmadisonwi and wrp96 like this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 11:14 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NTTB
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,629
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Lord, I got excited thinking it was the end of SHARES. It'll be a good day when that beast goes the way of the wind.
Curious as to why? I'm not even sure anymore how SHARES remotely affects me.
Miggles likes this.
FightingIlliniUAL is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 11:30 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,012
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
So, one off-hand comment by a random phone agent, in a completely unknown scenario, and we are right back to 2013 levels of dysfunction!

IMV, many of the ticketing changes over the past few years (proliferation of married-segment logic to all types of tickets, -LGT/Basic fares, etc.) have been deliberate business decisions rather than SHARES limitations, so at least there's that!
I was referring to the well known inherent SHARES limitations, like the inability to process upgrades dynamically, inability to process upgrades for multi-pax PNRs, difficulty interlining bags (especially UA to UA), etc.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 11:31 am
  #14  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 48,924
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL View Post
Curious as to why? I'm not even sure anymore how SHARES remotely affects me.
Let's not go into the faults of SHARES black hole once again, there are plenty of threads commenting on SHARES
2013 Conslidated IT/SHARES Issues Thread
Rumor regarding SHARES
SHARES now dropping TICKETED partner segments on award itins
Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations
AERO - New SHARES overlay to debut [6-Mar-2013]
the pathetic SHARES auto-rebook engine
Is this what SHARES looks like? - 2015
New (?) SHARES IRROPs issues if first segment on ticket is on a partner airline? - 2017
Agent exclusively using Aero and not SHARES - 2017
Happy 50th SHARES!!! - 2018
are just a small fraction (list in oldest first)

and Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES - 2012
Comparing today to this thread, does show that some SHARES of 2012 issues have been addressed


A general overview of these types of systems can be found in Airline reservations system - Wikipedia

The OP's query was about the latest overlay, COMPASS

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 14, 19 at 12:08 pm Reason: more threads and some dates
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 11:41 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NTTB
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,629
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Let's not go into the faults of SHARES black hole once again, there are plenty of threads commenting on SHARES
]
Well aware of the initial issues with SHARES and the current thread is re: COMPASS. Most of those threads date back at least 5+ years. Just unsure of how SHARES is affecting him/her now. Guess they can open up a new thread about that if they want.
Miggles likes this.
FightingIlliniUAL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: