Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Agent Difficulty Booking in New "Compass" System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K Agent Difficulty Booking in New "Compass" System

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Just unsure of how SHARES is affecting him/her now.
It's still impacting us today.

Not going further down that black hole.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Well aware of the initial issues with SHARES and the current thread is re: COMPASS. Most of those threads date back at least 5+ years. Just unsure of how SHARES is affecting him/her now. Guess they can open up a new thread about that if they want.
The overlays are just new UIs on top of SHARES -- the basic structure, functionality, and limitations are still due SHARES. Overlays don't change that but the intent of overlays is to make common functions easier with have to have in-depth knowledge of SHARES. Sort of like the original WINDOWS for PC were DOS overlays.

However as these overlays come out, it is not unexpected agents (needing to relearn the new interface) might have some initial issues.
jsloan, EWR764 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
So, does Compass replace Aero? Or is Compass more oriented to reservations, while Aero is geared toward the airport?
Old May 14, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Not sure if and how Aero / Compass interact or serve different purposes.

My situation was a little odd ... I had 3 ETCs to combine on a single reservation, and I used a US dollar / US address credit card for my purchase (as this client is a US client and I keep my finances on either side when I serve Canadian vs US clients), but my MP address is my home in Canada ...

So, the agent kept getting errors (he said). He ended up calling and having the ETCs combined into one, and then manually entered everything including my AMEX and address, MP number, etc. and it went through. Took about 45 minutes altogether tho.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So timely. I was just cooling my heels waiting for a flight and a UA employee (UA badge in pocket) was on the phone for 2 hours running done a list of functionality that hadn’t been ported to a mysterious “compass” some mentioned here. She was saying things like “that can’t be right, share your screen with me so I can see what you’re seeing.” I was mystified. Now it all makes sense. More world
class pre release testing by the crack UA IT team.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Let's not go into the faults of SHARES black hole once again, there are plenty of threads commenting on SHARES
2013 Conslidated IT/SHARES Issues Thread
Rumor regarding SHARES
SHARES now dropping TICKETED partner segments on award itins
Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations
AERO - New SHARES overlay to debut [6-Mar-2013]
the pathetic SHARES auto-rebook engine
Is this what SHARES looks like? - 2015
New (?) SHARES IRROPs issues if first segment on ticket is on a partner airline? - 2017
Agent exclusively using Aero and not SHARES - 2017
Happy 50th SHARES!!! - 2018
are just a small fraction (list in oldest first)

and Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES - 2012
Comparing today to this thread, does show that some SHARES of 2012 issues have been addressed

A general overview of these types of systems can be found in Airline reservations system - Wikipedia

The OP's query was about the latest overlay, COMPASS
thank you. Unless a poster has working knowledge of SHARES as a CO/UA employee there is too much speculation.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
In other words, passengers and employees will be paying for CO's short-sighted decision to keep SHARES over Apollo for years to come.
Yes. Of all the moronic things Smisek did, this was the worst.
halls120 and silverforumsurf like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bldr1k
yep I wonder how he justified this

Last edited by silverforumsurf; May 17, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I would have thought committing a federal crime tops the list, but others may differ
LXFlyer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf

yep I wonder how he justified this
It’s a pretty simple economics game...

CO arranged a perpetual license for itself on very favorable terms when it spun out SHARES (before that Known as SystemOne and inherited from Eastern when Texas Air Corp raided EA’s assets). Based on that, for CO and now UA, has an insanely low operating cost for Shares, and has largely decentralized things by building new functionality around the edges that talks to but isn’t actually part of SHARES rather than building it into a monolithic environment.

On the other hand while Apollo was conceived by UA it was sold off (technological) eons ago and UA didn’t negotiate such favorable terms for itself, leading to a higher operating cost of Apollo, and IIRC, shortly before the merger UA had contracted to migrate to another platform (Amadeus?) So Apollo was going to be out the door eventually anyway.

To the topic though, my understanding is that Aero is solely focused on the airport ops side of the equation, and fairly routine airport ops at that. Agents can, and routinely do, drop back to native (green screen) SHARES to get creative. I understand Compass is a refresh of the overlay reservations has been using/had available for quite some time — IIRC again — this one came from CO res well before the merger,
Old May 17, 2019, 9:36 pm

Wow, what was the savings? 0.1% of United revenue?
I wish United bought CO instead.. The only reason United works today is due to the SFO hub and getting lucky with the tech growth there (3/5 largest US companies are FB, GOOG, Apple).. otherwise Delta/AA/B6 would be running laps over United, like they do in NYC-LHR (most lucrative us route)

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

It’s a pretty simple economics game...

CO arranged a perpetual license for itself on very favorable terms when it spun out SHARES (before that Known as SystemOne and inherited from Eastern when Texas Air Corp raided EA’s assets). Based on that, for CO and now UA, has an insanely low operating cost for Shares, and has largely decentralized things by building new functionality around the edges that talks to but isn’t actually part of SHARES rather than building it into a monolithic environment.

On the other hand while Apollo was conceived by UA it was sold off (technological) eons ago and UA didn’t negotiate such favorable terms for itself, leading to a higher operating cost of Apollo, and IIRC, shortly before the merger UA had contracted to migrate to another platform (Amadeus?) So Apollo was going to be out the door eventually anyway.

To the topic though, my understanding is that Aero is solely focused on the airport ops side of the equation, and fairly routine airport ops at that. Agents can, and routinely do, drop back to native (green screen) SHARES to get creative. I understand Compass is a refresh of the overlay reservations has been using/had available for quite some time — IIRC again — this one came from CO res well before the merger,
Old May 18, 2019, 7:12 am

I wish United bought CO instead.. The only reason United works today is due to the SFO hub and getting lucky with the tech growth there (3/5 largest US companies are FB, GOOG, Apple).. otherwise Delta/AA/B6 would be running laps over United, like they do in NYC-LHR (most lucrative us route)

Distribution costs average 4% of airline operating costs. Not insignificant and typically the difference between profit and loss.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM

Remember that the very first selling point of an acquisition/merger is the vaunted "operating efficiency" angle. That means voiding redundant people/processes/systems. Even if it was only .1% (which I think is low), that is still a number that they felt was low fruit and easy to reap.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:42 pm

isn't that mostly paying expedia/kayak/agents/etc.

Originally Posted by fly18725

Distribution costs average 4% of airline operating costs. Not insignificant and typically the difference between profit and loss.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

isn't that mostly paying expedia/kayak/agents/etc.
Not when you're paying a huge license fee to access your own reservations, no.

SHARES has its warts, but it has some strengths beyond simply being cheaper. Its flexibility is the key to supporting a lot of UA's other systems, as that's why CO (and then UA) was able to build an API layer on top of it to support the website and the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.