Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus or Krisflyer when buying United Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I usually fly Singapore Airlines for int'l business a few times per year and plan to do so in the future. However, I need to book United business for an upcoming int'l round trip to Asia from the US west coast. I don't usually fly United and probably don't plan to much in the future despite this upcoming trip. Should I just use my Krisflyer acct when booking the United Business flight as the rewards acct to accrue points or is it worth it for me to open a Mileage plus acct and accrue on United? I'm PPS on Krisflyer if that matters at all.

Thanks
Old May 13, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weaksizzle11
I usually fly Singapore Airlines for int'l business a few times per year and plan to do so in the future. However, I need to book United business for an upcoming int'l round trip to Asia from the US west coast. I don't usually fly United and probably don't plan to much in the future despite this upcoming trip. Should I just use my Krisflyer acct when booking the United Business flight as the rewards acct to accrue points or is it worth it for me to open a Mileage plus acct and accrue on United? I'm PPS on Krisflyer if that matters at all.
Far better to credit to your existing ffp
Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't know much about accruing UA to SQ, but in general the benefits of accruing mileage to a same-alliance orphan account are minimal if any. Why would you not accrue to SQ?
Old May 13, 2019, 3:12 pm

www.wheretocredit.com for how many points if accuring on SQ

For accuring on United, Redeemable Miles is 5x fares for no status up to 75k miles (united.com tells u exactly how much RDM u get, its usually price minus taxes)

for high value Business tickets, 5x fare is usually more. But you split miles across different accounts
Old May 13, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weaksizzle11

Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If you normally accrue to KrisFlyer, that's where I'd put this flight too. Although KrisFlyer earnings for United business class aren't spectacular -- 100% of distance flown for discount business, or 125% for more expensive fares -- they're likely going to be more valuable for you than a small number of United miles. (United will award miles based upon the fare -- 5 miles for every US$1 of fare spent. So, if it's a US$4000 ticket, you'd earn 20K MileagePlus miles -- similar to the number of KrisFlyer miles you'd earn).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.