Recent Fare Increases EWR-BUF

Old May 13, 19, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Recent Fare Increases EWR-BUF

I fly EWR-BUF weekly for work and have done so for almost 2 years. Until recently, round trips booked 30-45 days out were running $180-$250, with most falling in the $200-$220 range. Now, and into October most fares (not basic economy) are running $350 or more, and better times > $400. Of the 5-6 flights/day in either direction, one is UA mainline, with the remainder on Republic (ERJ-175), ExpressJet and Commutair (ERJ-145).

Any ideas/comments/suggestions on why the increases, and booking tips to do better?
Old May 13, 19, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ View Post
Any ideas/comments/suggestions on why the increases, and booking tips to do better?
Inventory. Currently, UA thinks they can sell the seats for more money.

The $200 fares are still in the system, with 21-day advance purchase and no minimum stay requirement. If you're not seeing any availability, it's because UA has blocked out the discount travel buckets, as it thinks it can fill the plane with higher-fare passengers.
findark likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 12:26 pm

Programs: Yes
Fares still available $167 with 21-day advance. Sounds like you are looking at very particular flights. Sunday evening/Monday morning departure and Thursday evening returns perhaps?

Old May 13, 19, 1:13 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Can you look at AC LGA-YYZ? Of course that adds drive time and two border crossings in each direction...
Old May 13, 19, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Fares still available $167 with 21-day advance. Sounds like you are looking at very particular flights. Sunday evening/Monday morning departure and Thursday evening returns perhaps?

Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Can you look at AC LGA-YYZ? Of course that adds drive time and two border crossings in each direction...
Yes, I need to fly from EWR into BUF on Sunday evenings, and back to EWR on Fridays. The fares you show above are for Basic Economy, which doesn't make sense for me from an earning perspective.

And YYZ is a 90-minute drive at best.
Old May 13, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Oof. LGA.

I can't speak for LarrySinNJ, but I live ~20 miles west of EWR and one of my non-negotiable rules in joining this company was that all of my travel would be from EWR. I refuse to do LGA or JFK except under extreme (and I do mean extreme) duress. As in, once in the last 6 years.

By the time you're done replacing EWR-BUF with LGA-YYZ, you may as well just drive to Buffalo. It'd be faster.
Old May 13, 19, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Oof. LGA.

I can't speak for LarrySinNJ, but I live ~20 miles west of EWR and one of my non-negotiable rules in joining this company was that all of my travel would be from EWR. I refuse to do LGA or JFK except under extreme (and I do mean extreme) duress. As in, once in the last 6 years.

By the time you're done replacing EWR-BUF with LGA-YYZ, you may as well just drive to Buffalo. It'd be faster.
drmurphynj - I live in northern Bergen County, and approx the same mileage to LGA and EWR. Last time I went to LGA (3 yrs ago), it took the shuttle 75 mins from the lot to the terminal. Agreed, avoid like the plague. And I'm Plat on United. Yes, the drive would be faster than LGA-YYZ. Frankly, all I was looking for in this thread were reasons for the recent fare increases.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As jsloan said, the fares have not changed - if you are seeing higher prices it's inventory driven.
Old May 13, 19, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
How are you looking at trips "30-45 days out" that are in October? Sounds like comparing apples and oranges.
Old May 13, 19, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I heard the Buffalo economy is booming.
Old May 13, 19, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
How are you looking at trips "30-45 days out" that are in October? Sounds like comparing apples and oranges.
my interpretation is while the OP typically books 30-45 days out, when they saw higher fares, they then started looking at fares further out to see if the pricing went down to what they are used to seeing (and it didnít).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: