Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Spider-man Themed Safety Video & Amenity Kit

Hide Wikipost
Old May 13, 19, 6:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 13, 19, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

CHICAGO, May 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Beginning June 1, United Airlines will launch its latest inflight safety demonstration video featuring Spider-Man in an entertaining mini-drama film. In addition to the safety video, United's broader promotional partnership with Sony Pictures in celebration of Spider-Manô: Far From Home, in North American theaters July 2, will include one-of-a-kind Spider-Man: Far From Home-themed Polaris business class amenity kits and unique experiences for MileagePlus members to see the highly-anticipated summer blockbuster through MileagePlus Exclusives.
The video highlights United's enduring commitment to the safety of all our employees and customers who are "far from home". In addition to United employees providing instruction on what to do in the event of an emergency, the video features MileagePlus members who bid miles for the unique opportunity to appear in the video and special appearances by cast members from this summer's highly anticipated film.

"For decades, Spider-Man has consistently shown the importance of using power to do good and to keep the public safe. We also believe that our greatest responsibility is to keep our customers and crew safe on board our aircraft," said United's Vice President of Marketing, Mark Krolick. "We are excited to have Spider-Man and his friends, along with our employees, bring new attention to the inflight safety video and creatively engage customers on such an important announcement."

The video begins with villains entering a corner store and causing 'turbulence' with their disruption to Mr. Delmar, played by Hemky Madera. The deli scene includes a framed photo of Stan Lee, honoring the immense impact he had on the Marvel community. Customers will also notice the recently announced updated United livery displayed on the animated 787-10 aircraft, prior to customers learning the locations of the exits. Next, Peter Parker's best friend Ned, played by Jacob Batalon, shares a scene with United CEO Oscar Munoz as the villains head into a nearby theater to escape Spider-Man. In one of the final scenes, Eugene "Flash" Thompson, played by Toni Revolori, helps to demonstrate that cell phones and large devices should be put into airplane mode prior to take-off. This fast-paced and entertaining video concludes with Spider-Man ensuring that everyone is safe and settled as their journey begins.

On Lee's cameo, Gill Champion, President of Stan Lee's POW! Entertainment went on to say, "Stan loved doing his cameos and would love to know they are continuing, so we were thrilled to work with Sony Pictures and United Airlines to make this happen for both Stan and the fans."

Beginning in June, United customers traveling in Polaris business class will receive a limited-edition Spider-Man: Far From Home themed amenity kit, which will feature Spidey-branded comfort products including an eye mask, socks, tissues, ear plugs, a toothbrush and a pen alongside luxury skincare products, designed exclusively for United customers. Starting today on MileagePlus Exclusives, members are able to bid award miles on a one-of-a-kind experience to attend the Spider-Man: Far From Home premiere in Los Angeles on June 26. This opportunity will give a member access for two to attend the premiere, red carpet event and afterparty. Members also have the ability to use miles to attend a pre-release screening of Spider-Man: Far From Home in one of United's seven hub cities. For more information, please visit: MileagePlus Exclusives.
Old May 13, 19, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
What if the movie is a flop? Seems to be a short run thing. A Star Wars tie in OTOH....
Old May 13, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
This seems more like a Happy Meal stunt then "elegant touches" for the Polaris In-flight service.
Will the new Polaris TV dinners come with an action figure?

Safety video is less off-brand I guess, but still scratching my head...
drewguy and ATLintheair like this.
Old May 13, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
It would be awesome if they had some spider man PJs!!

Old May 13, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Cool. I like it - much better than the standard "talking head, walking the aisle" safety videos. At least this is entertaining!
Old May 13, 19, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm always a fan of creative safety videos. It will get people to pay attention more than just a standard one. And that is always a good thing!
wxguy and drewguy like this.
Old May 13, 19, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
What if the movie is a flop? Seems to be a short run thing. A Star Wars tie in OTOH....
They are painting a plane for this, maybe in Q3-4 we will get Star Wars themed kits
Old May 13, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
The Spider-Man eye masks are utterly ridiculous looking. Suited for a child, not adults. But hey- its a gimmick to appeal to people who like that stuff. I get it. I can just imagine getting up and walking thru the cabin mid-flight and seeing dozens of Spider-Man eyes looking back as people sleep. Hope these kits come and go quick.
jkumpire and leoo like this.
Old May 13, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
They should have a Game of Thrones safety video. People would pay attention!
In2ishn and twomonger like this.
Old May 13, 19, 2:50 pm

Anyone know how long the amenity kit will be available? I wont be flying Polaris until end of August
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
I really love the Air France safety video. I watch it every time. So cute. If they do it right, this Spiderman video could be good.
Kitto likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 8:40 pm

It might be cute or amusing the first time, but as a very frequent flyer I guarantee the combination of Spider-Man and Rhapsody in Blue will get annoying very fast. I hate to admit it but I am relieved when my United flight does not have IFE (or the IFE is not working) so we get the manual demo and donít have to suffer through a safety video that is trying way too hard.
Old May 13, 19, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by Menefreghismo View Post
I hate to admit it but I am relieved when my United flight does not have IFE (or the IFE is not working) so we get the manual demo and donít have to suffer through a safety video that is trying way too hard.
Hear! Hear!
ATLintheair likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Let me guess... another "limited edition" tin amenity kit? Yawn.

Didn't United just roll out new Sunday Riley kits?
Old May 13, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
UA ordered waaaaay too many 747 kits. I hope they don't make that mistake again. I believe I saw one over a year after the last 744 was retired.
Kannai likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: