Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Spider-man Themed Safety Video & Amenity Kit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

New Spider-man Themed Safety Video & Amenity Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by bman1002
Not a lot of Marvel fans among UA flyers? I guess everyone likes DC?
Considering the latest Marvel movie grossed over $2.7 billion globally (and counting) I'm guessing there's some fans in the ranks
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a lot of Marvel fans among UA flyers? I guess everyone likes DC?
Personally back in the day i was a Richie Rich fan.
seanp7 and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Spider-man first made his debut in 1962, so I would imagine the fan base around it is a bit larger than the preteen set.
But some of us grew out of comics and cartoons many years ago and prefer not to have it forced upon us in a “safety” video.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just boarded SFO-AKL and not only are there no Spiderman kits, we're back to the old Saks/Cowshed clamshell kits.

But at least the socks fit, so I'm happy!
mr8 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:50 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Where is the Kangaroo in the new video?

Concerned.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Ted
Where is the Kangaroo in the new video?

Concerned.
He's actually the one in the spider suit....
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Finally got to see the video yesterday. I didn't think it was over-the-top or unnecessarily juvenile. It was playful and fun, on line with some of ANZ's best Middle-earth safety vids. Keep in mind, the typical FTer (who can probably recite the safety brief along with the FAs) is not the demographic those videos are shooting for. People who have "grown up" out of comic books and cartoons apparently never grew up out of being whiny grumps. For you, I suggest

Honestly, I was really tired of the old video, particularly when the FA accidentally (?) tears the green screen behind her and breaks out giggling. Over the years, I've gone from "oh, that's cute" to "okay, was that spontaneous or did they plan it?" to "just shut up already".
Kitto and bman1002 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Saw the video yesterday on UA56 CDG-EWR. Agreed, not as cheesy as I expected.

No new amenity kits, got the old tin cans.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Saw the video on PEK-ORD. Got a tin can kit.....the last time I received a tin can was September last year (15 international flights ago!)
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Saw the video on PEK-ORD. Got a tin can kit.....the last time I received a tin can was September last year (15 international flights ago!)
Ditto here on SFO-LHR! Sunday Riley must be loving the launch execution ... a mix of Sunday Riley and Cowshed products in the lavs.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by greenpau

Ditto here on SFO-LHR! Sunday Riley must be loving the launch execution ... a mix of Sunday Riley and Cowshed products in the lavs.
I believe that is expected, given the fact that they typically use up existing supplies before rolling out new ones.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I believe that is expected, given the fact that they typically use up existing supplies before rolling out new ones.
But to roll out a new kit (zippered pouch) and then go back to an old kit (tins) all whilst having announced a limited release kit (spider-man)?

If the tin can supplies were as high as it appears, I'm surprised we saw the zippered pouched ones at all.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fezzington
But to roll out a new kit (zippered pouch) and then go back to an old kit (tins) all whilst having announced a limited release kit (spider-man)?

If the tin can supplies were as high as it appears, I'm surprised we saw the zippered pouched ones at all.
We were surpisred since we got the newest rectangular shaped dark gray colored kits with the polaris logo embossed on them on the outbound EWR-CDG, but the tin cans on the CDG-EWR return on Sunday. Maybe UA is trying to flush out the last of the remnants.

Consistently inconsistent UA.

Spiderman kits are probably a myth..
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
Like we aren’t already inundated every where these days with advertisements. UA, not content with all the money from fees and such, now needs to subject a captive audience to more money grubbing promos for a non-aviation product with tacky napkins, kits, videos and all in order to further boost the bottom line at the expense of its customers. Enough already with this garbage.
“boost the bottom lone at the expense of it’s customers” Am I miss something? How else does a company further boost its bottom line. Tie ins are nothing new. They are the norm in marketing these day. You will not attend Any sporting event without them. Almost every movie has them as well as obvious product placements. Income derived from cross marketing helps airlines ,in this case United provide flights at a cost cheaper than the 60’s and seventies. I say “great job “ to United’s marketing team!
JetBunny likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by fezzington

Exactly!

My last tin can was September 2018, then receive the oval zipper kit between Oct 2018 and April 2019.

On my four flights in May, I received the newest square ones.....then it went back to the tins yesterday!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.