Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Spider-man Themed Safety Video & Amenity Kit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

New Spider-man Themed Safety Video & Amenity Kit

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: 1k by marriage
It’s pretty messed up United is making members bid miles to go to the premier. I’ve done similar studio deals, and they give away premiere tickets like candy in these Co promotions. Untied is giving so much to Sony and they’re only getting LA + 7 hub cities... ouch (the use of IP is a given, Sony wants to get in front of people in places they normally couldn’t).
Old May 13, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Re the safety video, I like it. It’s cheesy, but it’s attention grabbing and gets the safety messages across which is always the important part.

The current (now old) one was good but it needed a refresh.

As to Spiderman amenity kits, that’s just cheesy but I don’t wear eye masks anyway and only use the socks and toothbrush/paste so I’m not going to worry. Though if it’s on next week's TATL I may take it for my seven year old nephew in London.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The press release fails to address the elephant in the room - will the new amenity kit include adult sized socks, or only toddler-sized ones?!?!
narvik and SkiPremier like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by docbert
The press release fails to address the elephant in the room - will the new amenity kit include adult sized socks, or only toddler-sized ones?!?!
Obviously, it will have to have eight socks? 🕷
Old May 14, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Looks like it's a fabric bag with Spiderman-branded eyemask/socks with Sunday Riley amenities. It would appear the special Polaris eyemasks are gone.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by chavala
They should have a Game of Thrones safety video. People would pay attention!
Perhaps not so much after the latest season though
Old May 14, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It’s a safety video. For those that you take it too seriously or otherwise...here’s a tiny bit of Buffalo Trace for ya. 😝
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a "50 Shades of Grey" themed safety video..
Old May 15, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
How about a "50 Shades of Grey" themed safety video..
That would have tied in well on PMCO interior designed aircraft.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by awu25
Perhaps not so much after the latest season though
Turn off your cell phone or...DRACARYS!
In2ishn likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
The Spider-Man eye masks are utterly ridiculous looking. Suited for a child, not adults. But hey- its a gimmick to appeal to people who like that stuff. I get it. I can just imagine getting up and walking thru the cabin mid-flight and seeing dozens of Spider-Man eyes looking back as people sleep. Hope these kits come and go quick.
I'll take any of the Spider-Man eye masks you get but don't want. I can give them away at Halloween or trade them at Comic Con for other stuff.

Personally, I like the sound of this and hope I get my upgrades next month.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:36 pm

Do they think were are morons or infantis?

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Re the safety video, I like it. It’s cheesy, but it’s attention grabbing and gets the safety messages across which is always the important part.

The current (now old) one was good but it needed a refresh.

As to Spiderman amenity kits, that’s just cheesy but I don’t wear eye masks anyway and only use the socks and toothbrush/paste so I’m not going to worry. Though if it’s on next week's TATL I may take it for my seven year old nephew in London.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. It seems like everywhere I travel in the US there are billboards using cartoon characters or some kind of theme appropriate for 6th graders (usually paid for by a government agency on some level) to get the attention of people to be safe or be a good dad or put your seat belt on, and now this. If adults are so infantized these days you have to use a cartoon character to pass along information then we are really in trouble.

I'm an adult, I don't read comic books or go see the latest Marvel Studios picture the day it came out. Take one minute to tell us what we need to know for the 800th time or ask people to look at a card in the seat pocket, then leave us alone. The last one where they had very different people/actors/employees doing the safety video was sort of okay, but still an irritant. This sounds 100 times worse.
BeanTownBoy, chavala, leoo and 3 others like this.

Last edited by jkumpire; May 15, 2019 at 4:38 pm Reason: Cant fix spelling error in title. Sorry. I hate to type.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I'll take any of the Spider-Man eye masks you get but don't want. I can give them away at Halloween or trade them at Comic Con for other stuff.
Personally, I like the sound of this and hope I get my upgrades next month.
I don't doubt there aren't people who will drool and lust over this gimmick- just not me. Should I end up with one or more of these kits I may just see if I can give it out to some kid in Y.

Originally Posted by jkumpire
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. It seems like everywhere I travel in the US there are billboards using cartoon characters or some kind of theme appropriate for 6th graders (usually paid for by a government agency on some level) to get the attention of people to be safe or be a good dad or put your seat belt on, and now this. If adults are so infantized these days you have to use a cartoon character to pass along information then we are really in trouble.

I'm an adult, I don't read comic books or go see the latest Marvel Studios picture the day it came out. Take one minute to tell us what we need to know for the 800th time or ask people to look at a card in the seat pocket, then leave us alone. The last one where they had very different people/actors/employees doing the safety video was sort of okay, but still an irritant. This sounds 100 times worse.
Agreed. I'm not even crotchety and old and I feel the same way.
chavala likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Beverage napkins too now

narvik likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by onthesam
Is it me, or does this look like a Rorschach Test gone bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.