Search

Why does UA still run HNL-NRT?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Why does UA still run HNL-NRT?

ANA about to start A380 service on route w/ HNL gate modified to handle the beast and two new lounges (which I’ll try to visit at some point if they’re part of *A lounge system). ANA looking to double seats to HNL from Japan. UA’s HNL-NRT route seems like it doesn’t really make sense as an isolated Polaris route, especially with *A partner ANA’s hefty presence.

The gate is at the end of the Ewa concourse (opposite end of main terminal from United gates. Was wondering who was going to use it and just saw ANA’s second A380 flight into HNL was yesterday.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 9, 2019 at 11:01 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Cargo?

I see the NH business lounge will be a *G lounge. Looks pretty awesome. NH Lounges HNL
dmurphynj likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; May 9, 2019 at 11:48 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
NRT slots are really constrained, and IAD cannot turn itself. So they pair it with ORD and HNL rather than have the plane sit on the ground in NRT overnight.
therossinator likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
I see the NH business lounge will be a *G lounge. Looks pretty awesome. NH Lounges HNL
Sounds like I can use the lounge for my next flight...
Old May 10, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cargo?

It’ll be interesting to see hours of operations. I think the ANA flights are all gone before mid-afternoon. Lounge may not be available for UA’s red-eyes.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:52 am

I don't think United will have too much to worry about. The CASM on the premium-heavy ANA A380 must be quite a bit higher than United's 10-abreast 777s. I don't think ANA can keep double daily A380s on NRT-HNL for too long.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I’m not sure why UA should be concerned. Isn’t this route still a part of the UA/ANA JV?

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local...pdf/110401.pdf
Old May 10, 2019, 8:32 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by sincx
I don't think United will have too much to worry about. The CASM on the premium-heavy ANA A380 must be quite a bit higher than United's 10-abreast 777s. I don't think ANA can keep double daily A380s on NRT-HNL for too long.
Double daily A380 shouldn't be difficult, assuming it replaces either 2 or all 3 Tokyo-HNL flights, all on 789s.

The Japan to Hawaii market is huge and fares aren't all that low either. Just looking at flightstats for today, there are 12 HNL-Tokyo flights (1xUA, DL, KE; 2xHA, 3xNH, 4xJL) on mid to large widebodies, so United should be able to do fine with its flight, and even ANA swapping 2 789s for 380s isn't that much of a capacity increase (percentage-wise).
trooper likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I thought for sure NRT-HNL wouldn't be long for the world once the NH 380s came on the schedule, but there must be some business case for the service! I wonder if the UA flight generates stronger Hawaii point-of-sale business than ANA? I look forward to trying the NH 380 but the UA flight with Polaris seats (pretty often, lately) would be a compelling option for me, especially on a redeye. ANA cabins are kept a bit too warm for my taste and I prefer the Polaris seat to the NH business class hard product... ANA soft product by a mile, though.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I look forward to trying the NH 380 but the UA flight with Polaris seats (pretty often, lately) would be a compelling option for me, especially on a redeye. ANA cabins are kept a bit too warm for my taste and I prefer the Polaris seat to the NH business class hard product... ANA soft product by a mile, though.
In economy, it's a no-brainer for NH, with 34 inch pitch and a 25 inch wider Y cabin than UA's 777s. Plus of course the NH soft product.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
I’m not sure why UA should be concerned. Isn’t this route still a part of the UA/ANA JV?

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local...pdf/110401.pdf
I wasn't suggesting UA drop route due to competitive reasons. I was wondering if UA could use the a/c and resources more efficiently elsewhere and let partner ANA handle that part of network. As someone else pointed out, HNL-NRT might indeed exist (in part) to maximize a/c usage efficiency in conjunction w/ IAD-NRT/

edit; and cargo (as suggested)

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 10, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It’ll be interesting to see hours of operations. think the ANA flights are all gone before mid-afternoon.
8:30 am to last NH flight departure.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Cargo?
Bingo - I suspect that's the moneymaker right there.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
While I agree on the cargo reason.... Does UA have much government/military traffic HNL-NRT?
Old May 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
8:30 am to last NH flight departure.
So looks like mid-day UA departing passengers may get to visit, but 7 am LAX/SFO departures and all redeye departures miss out. I'm thinking lounge could get crammed. Some United passengers who otherwise wouldn't get UC access could get access to ANA lounge. On the other hand, a lot of *G UA passengers don't have a clue about lounges access intricacies, especially those who fly almost exclusively domestically. They jut know they can't get into UC w/ their UA Gold or better. New ANA lounges will certainly relieve some of the HNL UC late morning / lunchtime crowd w/ ANA's (& NZ's) eligible pax going there.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 10, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.