Wiki Posts
Search

1K irrop handling

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
1K irrop handling

Just wanted to share this with the forum and ask if this is the new normal. DFW had bad weather yesterday and cancelled / delayed lots of flights, including mine. UC agent booked me on a later flight in First (original flight was G) and also confirmed me on an even later flight in M. After about an hour, I noticed that the double booking had been removed and I also got downgraded from First back into Coach. UC agent was dumbfounded when I asked her why this happened.

I realize that duplicate bookings are not permitted, but always thought that an IRROP situation would override that rule. The downgrade itself I cannot make sense of. Is that the new normal for 1K?
Old May 9, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not sure I follow... you were originally flying from DFW to somewhere in G (deep discount Economy) and got rebooked directly into First? Why? I feel like there is more to the story here.
jsloan and Icydubloon like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
I'm not sure I follow... you were originally flying from DFW to somewhere in G (deep discount Economy) and got rebooked directly into First? Why? I feel like there is more to the story here.
There really isn’t. Flights were full and perhaps the First seat was the only one that was available at the time.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
There have been reports of United not allowing "Protecting" on separate flights. They want to keep as many open seats as possible to accommodate other passengers, especially in periods of high irrops.
Seems like someone was monitoring overall re-bookings and making updates based on overall situation.

My guess is you were placed in First due to no economy seat being available, and then were put back into economy when a seat opened up.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:22 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Weird thing happen during IRROPS.
I’ve seen double booking stick around even after I arrive at my destination or the second booking getting removed before I could make the first one.
I believe the system will automatically try to rebook you on an earlier flight, but it’s also doing this for everyone who may or did miss their flight during an irrops so things can get messy, but it *usually* works.

System probably though you might be able to make an earlier flight and remove the later flights, and then things changed so it had to put you back on the original flight, but lost your upgrade in the process..?
Old May 9, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'd bet the gate agent working the flight you got booked into moved you back to coach to allow someone who was on paid F back into F.

-RM
Old May 9, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure what the complaint is here. There was weather and you got where you were going in the class of service you paid for after a little delay.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Not complaining, just asking. I did not claim any right to that First Class seat, it just strikes me as odd that someone deliberately went through the process of changing it, some 4-5 hours before that flight actually departed.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Not complaining, just asking. I did not claim any right to that First Class seat, it just strikes me as odd that someone deliberately went through the process of changing it, some 4-5 hours before that flight actually departed.
The UC agent made a major error by booking you into an F seat when you were only holding a Y ticket. Someone corrected this error.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:27 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have had issues, at times, even getting the GS line to protect me. It's uncommon, but happens maybe 10% of the time -- where I just HUCA. I always call back whenever my flight does go to cancel those protections though, which the agents always appreciate. United's system does scan for double-bookings to kill them but not on as narrow of a basis as the few hours you were sitting at DFW.

The most likely thing here was the gate agent working the flight you were put into F on was holding that F seat for another passenger that was rightfully due it based on their booking class and they knocked you out of it after seeing that the UC agent had taken the inventory. I'm willing to bet that the cancellation of your protected leg was an accidental/incidental result of that same work to get you out of the F seat and re-booked into steerage.

I'm not as outraged as some of the others here that you would have been bumped to F as a 1K during irrops but I would note that I am probably kept in first only ~75% of the time as a GS during irrops when I am booked into F. So you certainly should have viewed that as a pretty outstanding kindness from the UC agent.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
...it just strikes me as odd that someone deliberately went through the process of changing it...
Fluid situation. "Odd" happens when IRROPS occur. I'm sure you would have been happy to keep the F seat, but the person who actually paid for one might not have been. Looks like UA sorted it out.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH
IUnited's system does scan for double-bookings to kill them but not on as narrow of a basis as the few hours you were sitting at
It actually happened twice, each time within an hour of the UC agent making the double booking. The weather was crazy and there was just no way of telling which flight would actually make it out.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'd bet the gate agent working the flight you got booked into moved you back to coach to allow someone who was on paid F back into F.

-RM
This, or perhaps someone off in the bowels of UA.

I had irrops a couple of months ago where some magic fairy at UA kept moving me around (from seat to seat, as well as from flight to flight), and at one point, I had multiple segments on my record. They were largely applied correctly, with the protected segments placed at the end of the sequence so that if we made the original flight, the rest of the record wouldn't be cancelled. The magic fairy at one point decided there was no way we'd make our original connection and removed it from the record; I was able to get it put back on after we sprinted for the gate and made the flight (the GA re-added it).

This was clearly someone other than the GA messing with the record, as the GA said she thought we were going to make it and were glad that we did. (Of course, after that, upon arrival at our destimation I had to call and was on the phone for 45 minutes while the grumpy 1K agent worked on cleaning up the PNR, which now had one protected segment placed before the return trip, meaning we'd face auto-cancellation for "missing" that flight; she said, "This is why they're not supposed to protect people anymore," which IMHO is bogus but understandable.)

The return trip also had irrops, and the UC agent, the 1K res line, and someone else (maybe a GA?) messed with the res and seat assignments.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Revoking the uncalled for UG was likely the product of availability opening in Y.

2 Once there was positive space, there really was no reason to protect OP on an even later flight.

Protecting on multiple flights really should be done away with entirely. It is a zero-sum game in IRROPS. While it might have helped OP out, it would have meant that some other passenger can't obtain positive space when there really was space to be had. If you are the guy who benefits from the multiple protections, it's great. But, if you are the guy who can't get positive space until it is determined that the other passenger made the earlier flight, it's not so good.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Often1
Protecting on multiple flights really should be done away with entirely. It is a zero-sum game in IRROPS.
I disagree - while it is a zero-sum game in most respects, I think it's reasonable to provide extra benefit for 1K/GS in IRROPS. You could just protect into overbooked space and then the "loser" is taking home a VDB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.