Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FAs not seated for take-off / landing reports [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs not seated for take-off / landing reports [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fumje
How does a wet runway affect the takeoff acceleration? Does it mean more thrust is needed?
I think that in order to leave more stopping distance for a potential abort, they accelerate as fast as possible from the start point.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:21 pm

Saw something similar, but at landing, not takeoff. This was a UA three-class 777, on a repositioning flight from IAD to ORD after a major snowstorm. Less than 2 hours in the air, obviously, but the fellow across the aisle from me had fallen asleep in the lie-flat seat that was fully extended. The landing was on such short notice that the crew forgot (or did not have time) to go around the cabin to make sure tray tables were up, seats up, etc. (with only 8? seats in F, that couldn't have been too hard to do anyway). We had a hard landing, and the fellow was really startled when he woke up in the bed! I think his seatbelt was fastened but it was still a strong impact.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:00 pm

As long as the pilots were seated I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
The force at the start of take off is major. You don't feel it sitting down, but somebody, or something, that isn't secure could result in major injuries, or death.

I saw an unsecured can of coke on an little 50 seater, fly through the air and hit the back wall of the plane, near the bathroom, like a bomb on a take off. It could have killed somebody.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Reminds me of my first flight on Avianca years ago - half the pax still standing and stowing bags during the take off roll, the same number up and taking down their stuff from the overhead as the brakes were applied after landing. Being in a window seat helps avoid people flying through the cabin....just a helpful hint.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
FA barely seated before landing on UA502 from TPA-DEN

I was on final approach to Denver this morning on UA502 from Tampa. We were descending through some thick cloud cover as the airport was completely socked in. I heard the landing gear go down when all of sudden the FA stood up to go through the cabin checking for seatbelts and upright seats. I found this a bit strange considering how close we were to landing, but what was I suppose to do about it. Just as she gets down to my row, she turned around and sprinted to her seat in the front galley. The wheels touched the ground immediately after she sat down, I think the NTSB would take issue with this...LOL! I think luck was on her side because if she had been a few seconds later, the plane would have landed while she was in the middle of running down the aisle.

Definitely a first for me...
Old May 7, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by codfather
I was on final approach to Denver this morning on UA502 from Tampa. We were descending through some thick cloud cover as the airport was completely socked in. I heard the landing gear go down when all of sudden the FA stood up to go through the cabin checking for seatbelts and upright seats. I found this a bit strange considering how close we were to landing, but what was I suppose to do about it. Just as she gets down to my row, she turned around and sprinted to her seat in the front galley. The wheels touched the ground immediately after she sat down, I think the NTSB would take issue with this...LOL! I think luck was on her side because if she had been a few seconds later, the plane would have landed while she was in the middle of running down the aisle.

Definitely a first for me...
Definitely not good, but sounds like an honest mistake.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by narvik
Definitely not good, but sounds like an honest mistake.
I agree; probably honest mistake....I once witnessed the opposite where the FA didn't properly secure the galley in F prior to take off. As we were accelerating there was a loud crash in the galley (this was an A320). I was in 2F so couldn't see what happened, but the FA got up to fix the issue just as we were leaving the ground. I assume it was a wayward cart. I was going to ask later what happened, but sometimes best not to pry.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
The force at the start of take off is major. You don't feel it sitting down, but somebody, or something, that isn't secure could result in major injuries, or death.

I saw an unsecured can of coke on an little 50 seater, fly through the air and hit the back wall of the plane, near the bathroom, like a bomb on a take off. It could have killed somebody.
I once saw an unsecured trolley go the length of the 747-400 upper deck on landing. Very exciting. That'll teach people to keep their heads and elbows out of the aisle.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
I was on final approach to Denver this morning
I think DEN (along with MEX, etc.) is prone to this because the amount of time between the 10k' ding and the landing is a lot shorter than is typical.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by threeoh
I think DEN (along with MEX, etc.) is prone to this because the amount of time between the 10k' ding and the landing is a lot shorter than is typical.
Good point. They should do a 15k ding before landing at such airports!
Old May 7, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Had this at LAX last year returning from SYD with an easterly landing. The pilot made the announcement but it didn't register. I was sitting in the bulkhead right behind Door 2 and at about 200' AGL (above ground level) told them loudly "we are 10 seconds from landing - you need to sit now!". One FA ran to the empty (crew rest) seat next to me and the other two ran to their jumpseats but didn't get their harnesses buckled. The were all thankful that I told them - there would have likely been a few bruises as the pilots had the auto brake dialed up for the wet (and shorter north side) runway.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
There really should be permanent displays of altitudes and clocks and countdown on modern airplanes instead of just map channels and PDE web browsers. FAs, aisles and middle block passengers can seem oblivious to what’s going on outside.
narvik likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Happened twice in the last 2 weeks to crews on my flights.

First was EWR DCA, it was the poor girls 3rd flight by herself, ever. I was in 2A on E45. She decided she’d do a beverage service, I mentioned she’d have to hurry or just do water as we were scheduled for 41 in the air.

We did river visual at DCA, made 3rd to last turn, I grabbed her arm nicely and said, I really think you need to be seated, on the ground in 20 seconds! We about to make last turn and she hadn’t sat down, and we did a go around. I don’t know procedure, but flight crew definitely did double chime and gear was down at correct time (from the 100’s of other DCA river visuals I’ve done). She was a bit shaken up, but fine.

Second was a 789 last week LAX IAH, we had a quick taxi, but held short about 90 seconds. Started to roll and 3L FA was in 2L galley chatting. He safely made a bit of a run back and I assume he was fine.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BE-58
I... told them loudly "we are 10 seconds from landing - you need to sit now!".
FAs should respect that passengers are there for their safety.
TechnoTourist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.