Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens to catering / meal type for delayed flights?

What happens to catering / meal type for delayed flights?

Old May 8, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Given that it was now a daytime flight, is there any reason (rule or other factor) that they couldn't have started the dinner service a little after the halfway point in the flight? Most people would have slept the night before, and this would have off-set the lighter first meal.
I don't think so, either the flight made up more time than expected or they just didn't plan well. Once you are off-script and making first-time choices it's easy to make mistakes like this that you wouldn't make twice, so I don't hold it against them.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Always pack a couple of protein bars and some nuts/trail mix. Even when flying J/F. Especially on UA.
droopydog and phkc070408 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:41 am

meals on delayed flight?

My 9am flight from LGA is now scheduled for 3pm due to weather. My question is: The original flight was "breakfast". Do you think they will still serve that meal, substitute lunch or dinner? Nothing? PS if anyone is stuck at LGA right now and wants to be guested into amex lounge, PM me.

Thank you,
BJFly
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
They won't serve breakfast - but practically anything you can eat at the airport will be far better than what is available on the plane
droopydog likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by BJfly
My 9am flight from LGA is now scheduled for 3pm due to weather. My question is: The original flight was "breakfast". Do you think they will still serve that meal, substitute lunch or dinner? Nothing? PS if anyone is stuck at LGA right now and wants to be guested into amex lounge, PM me.

Thank you,
BJFly
My experience is that they cater the meal that’s appropriate for the time of departure.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
My experience is that they cater the meal that’s appropriate for the time of departure.
Some of my experiences have been different. If the delay is posted before the aircraft has been catered, perhaps UA will adjust the meal type. But other times for 2-3 hour delays, I have been served the original designated meal.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:42 pm

first class meal that wasn'y

Thank you,
BJFly
Update: what actually happened is this: The 9am flight finally boarded at 6pm. As soon as the door was closed, the flight attendant told the first class cabin that the catering was still breakfast, that it was no longer edible, and that hence there would be no meal service at all. We were offered free snack boxes, but of course they didn't have all of the options stocked. So it wasn't the best experience after a 9 hour delay. If they had just made an announcement, I could have at least bought something before boarding, So if a 9 hour delay didn't make me grumpy, well this did. Oh well.

BJFly
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Update: what actually happened is this: The 9am flight finally boarded at 6pm. As soon as the door was closed, the flight attendant told the first class cabin that the catering was still breakfast, that it was no longer edible, and that hence there would be no meal service at all. We were offered free snack boxes, but of course they didn't have all of the options stocked. So it wasn't the best experience after a 9 hour delay. If they had just made an announcement, I could have at least bought something before boarding, So if a 9 hour delay didn't make me grumpy, well this did. Oh well.

BJFly
They should have provided each F passenger an ETC (miles or money) for this. If they didn't, I would call or write in.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
They should have provided each F passenger an ETC (miles or money) for this. If they didn't, I would call or write in.
However, a voucher later or even a destination airport food coupon upon arrival isn't a substitute for a real FC meal on a 6 pm departure.

My most recent experience with this was a TPAC delayed by about six hours, from a late morning to a late afternoon departure. FAs served the main meal "dinner" at the usual time relative to wheels up and the midflight and prearrival meals were also exactly as usual. In this case, there was an aircraft swap that was announced to be delayed as we waited for catering to be swapped, although amenity kits, menus, etc. weren't transferred to the new aircraft (but there were enough wrapped pillows and blankets, so the lesson learned is that if you deboard, think about taking the small items with you.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:47 am

Compensation

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Update: per suggestion above, I used the website to contact customer service and I was given a voucher for approximately 1/2 of the amount of the cost differential between first and economy for that segment of the trip.

BJfly
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:29 am

Does it actually matter? It seems that no matter what flight I take in Y, SFO-HKG or HKG-SFO, regardless of direction, or the time of day, dinner shows up first, followed by a little ice cream, then a sandwich half way through the flight, and then breakfast before landing.
What I want to know is what happens to the food when I almost never eat it anyway? That is I decline the service. Does it re-appear in the next flight for some lucky passenger?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Many countries quarentine certain inbound foods, and that includes any uneaten food served on the plane. I'm assuming that the USA does it, since you're not allowed to bring any produce or red meat into the country. I'd imagine it's easier to just burn everything arriving rather than pic through the rubbish. I don't know about the prepackaged items, such as the snack boxes though.

I'll defer the answer regarding domestic flights to someone else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.