Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

OLCI rejected, UA blames Timatic, traveling from country AAA to USA, citizen of BBB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI rejected, UA blames Timatic, traveling from country AAA to USA, citizen of BBB

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This happens from time to time ... you just check-in at the airport. Usually not much that can be done. Not sure why this is such a big deal.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
I know this is simple, but it is often overlooked: does your United profile/reservations exactly match your passport? This is a common reason check in is rejected.
It does. This happens every time, but only from US to Europe, and only when United is the first flight.

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Maybe you could get someone from one (or more) of the other carriers what they see with the scenario you describe and then ask UA to compare it to what they see.
It only happens with United, and only when the flight originates in the US and ends in Europe. Verified that.

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I share the pain of the OP. I am a US citizen with permanent residence in a different country. Whenever I fly back to my resident country on United, even on itineraries originating in my country or residence, I cannot do OLCI. It is frustrating. It was not always that way. I used to be able to do this, until a few years ago. Because I can’t do OLCI, I go to the kiosk. At the kiosk, I get a yellow screen every time. The UA agent swipes their card, then taps on “valid foreign residency” button. They’ve done this maybe 20 times. It’s a pain for them as well as for me.

I can believe my phenomenon is some part of an automatic visa-checking process, which is OK. But UA should fix their system to have some ability – either human or machine – to attach to the flyer’s account some override or permanent acknowledgement.
Exactly. It's frustrating and time-consuming.

Originally Posted by cfischer
This happens from time to time ... you just check-in at the airport. Usually not much that can be done. Not sure why this is such a big deal.
Because it happens every time. It means I can't see myself on the upgrade list. I have to wait for an available gate agent and I can't use the automatic machines. At Newark they force me to use the machine first, get rejected, and then call an available attendant to click the "Valid" button.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

And it only happens if you list your residency as Danish, not Slovenian.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA
A couple of posters here mention listing or stating one's residency. Is there a field to do this in the UA OLCI process? I don't think so. In my case, my UA traveler profile on the website definitely shows my correct residency and citizenship, but it doesn't matter.

But isn't the point here that after a few cases where a human agent physically accepted the travel via the yellow kiosk, the UA's system should learn that it's OK?

OP: what is the typical conversation with the agent at the yellow screen? Do they need convincing or detailed explanations? Do they understand residency policies of the EU? How often do they say "oh, just put in some date for onward travel"?
Old May 5, 2019, 4:57 pm

A couple of posters here mention listing or stating one's residency. Is there a field to do this in the UA OLCI process? I don't think so. In my case, my UA traveler profile on the website definitely shows my correct residency and citizenship, but it doesn't matter.
It absolutely does! Even if you have your passport and other details entered into your UA profile it will still check residency. Most of the time I enter UK, and haven’t encounter problems since my Canadian citizenship means I’m in the same immigration category as US citizens. Also doesn’t hurt that I have Nexus. I should also point out that back in March I flew LHR > LAX / EWR > LHR on UA and had no issues doing an OLCI. Perhaps UA is aware of my UK student Visa or perhaps they don't ordinarily care since it's Canadian/US citizen. One thing I forgot to ask the OP is: are they beginning their journey on their UA ticket from the USA or overseas. I suspect if the latter then their Visa logic must be cool with it (i.e. well the passenger began their journey in that foreign country so surely they must be able to return to their origin!).

But isn't the point here that after a few cases where a human agent physically accepted the travel via the yellow kiosk, the UA's system should learn that it's OK?
One would hope but UA IT systems aren’t that great. I emailed UA 2 years ago about Canadians being unable to mobile check in to UA flights from abroad (read not Canada or US). Issue still hasn’t been fixed so it’s back to the desktop website for me!

-James

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; May 5, 2019 at 5:40 pm Reason: Further elaboration
Old May 6, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I share the pain of the OP. I am a US citizen with permanent residence in a different country. Whenever I fly back to my resident country on United, even on itineraries originating in my country or residence, I cannot do OLCI. It is frustrating. It was not always that way. I used to be able to do this, until a few years ago. Because I can’t do OLCI, I go to the kiosk. At the kiosk, I get a yellow screen every time. The UA agent swipes their card, then taps on “valid foreign residency” button. They’ve done this maybe 20 times. It’s a pain for them as well as for me.

I can believe my phenomenon is some part of an automatic visa-checking process, which is OK. But UA should fix their system to have some ability – either human or machine – to attach to the flyer’s account some override or permanent acknowledgement.
I'm in the same boat, several years ago I could never OLCI when returning to Japan, but these days it works fine so I am thinking that somewhere along the line my Japan Permanent Residency has been stored in my profile. For the most part, permanent means just that, so it really "should" be stored in profiles for overseas residents after showing an airport agent once.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
In an incredible turn of events, after I was told there was nothing that could be done and that the system functions normally - I got a response on Twitter yesterday:

Arnon, excellent news provided by the team we sent your concern to. They are going to add US-DE-DK itinerary for SK passport holders. You will be able to check-in online using your SK passport to CPH via FRA in the future. You might not be able to this time around but you will be in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.