USA Address needed for payment?

Old May 3, 19, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
USA Address needed for payment?

Hi All,

First time United Flyer :/

I am trying to upgrade a SFO-MEX flight for US$159. I have tired the website but despite setting my location as Hong Kong it still requires an USA based credit card address? I have also tried with the App with no luck (including Apple Pay).

Any idea how I can proceed? The booking was made through a Hong Kong travel agency as part of a 6 segment trip consisting of OW and *A on the same PNR.

Old May 3, 19, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beach86 View Post
Any idea how I can proceed? The booking was made through a Hong Kong travel agency as part of a 6 segment trip consisting of OW and *A on the same PNR.
Try calling United. Web Support can generally see the same offers that show up on the website. They list this number for calls from HK: 001 800-55558000, or you can call the main number and ask to be transferred to Web Support.

In a pinch, you can call the main (US) number via Skype or Google Talk at no charge.
Old May 4, 19, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Try calling United. Web Support can generally see the same offers that show up on the website. They list this number for calls from HK: 001 800-55558000, or you can call the main number and ask to be transferred to Web Support.

In a pinch, you can call the main (US) number via Skype or Google Talk at no charge.
Thanks, I called the HK number. They stated that as the ticket is issued by a travel agency that I would have to contact them for the upgrade. Is this normal? I used our corporate TA whom will not allow this change based on our corporate regulations.

Appears I am stuck...
Old May 4, 19, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by beach86 View Post
Is this normal?
Yes - because your ticket is not in control by UA. So the TA has to literally do everything for you, unless UA decides to take over.
Old May 4, 19, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Yes - because your ticket is not in control by UA. So the TA has to literally do everything for you, unless UA decides to take over.
Not entirely true. Having worked at a a company that used AmEx GBT there was no issues using the web or the phone to process a milage upgrade awards with co-pays days even weeks in advance of the flight. Hence, I would advise OP to hang up and call again (HUCA), perhaps with a North American agent (their number is 1-800-864-8331). If it's an IT glitch on UA's end they'll have the web team work on processing the upgrade.

One question for the OP : how are you getting this upgrade? Is this a buy-up offer, OLCI offer, milage upgrade award (with co-pay)? Depending on the nature of the OP there may be some truth to what the agent is saying.

Last and certainly not least, worst case scenario you can upgrade at the airport Kiosk. Offers from California to MEX seem to be at the $159 range during check-in per my spreadsheet.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 4, 19, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Having worked at a a company that used AmEx GBT there was no issues using the web or the phone to process a milage upgrade awards with co-pays days even weeks in advance of the flight.
I believe what makes this ticket difficult because it is a mixed ticket.

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Hence, I would advise OP to hang up and call again (HUCA), perhaps with a North American agent (their number is 1-800-864-8331). If it's an IT glitch on UA's end they'll have the web team work on processing the upgrade.
You will be surprised actually - UA's own Hong Kong-based agents is way more competent than most N. American agent. When I have my fair share of HUACA, including those with 1K Desk, I never have a problem with Hong Kong call center.

(Note - do you know that I am actually a HKG based 1K?)
Old May 4, 19, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
You will be surprised actually - UA's own Hong Kong-based agents is way more competent than most N. American agent. When I have my fair share of HUACA, including those with 1K Desk, I never have a problem with Hong Kong call center.

(Note - do you know that I am actually a HKG based 1K?)
I make no judgement as to the competency of UA agents North America based or otherwise. I merely suggest calling the UA USA number since that was the number I used in the past when I encountered these situations and found that they understood that upgrades could be processed without invoking a TA. If upgrades required TA approval, I doubt anyone would want to be flying on business internationally given the stringent policy of many corporations of only flying in Y (perhaps PY if you're lucky) long haul. Airlines know this change doesn't touch the itinerary in any meaningful way (i.e. date, origin/departure) and is a great way for them to rake in some extra moolah. Heck I've even had colleagues have CPUs clear on their corporate TA issued ticket that had the TA send an email noting a change in cabin from Economy to First.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 13, 19, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I would like to provide a follow-up for other passengers info.

I called UA Hong Kong and was told I need to go through the TA.

I called UA US and was told that I could proceed with the upgrade. The cost was USD190 vs USD159 offered online. As I do not have a US based credit card, they needed to convert it into HKD. This process took 50 minutes. At the end, the agent told me that the upgrade was successful but as their system is upgrading they were unable to issue the ticket. I was told it would be sent within the hour (this was at about 11pm the day before travel). I gave the agent my number and ask them to call me with any issues.

No call came. I check the UA App and it showed I was in Business Class (but did not check-in). I arrive at the Airport and this is where chaos ensues. Check-in agent sees my ticket as not issued, I explain what happened the previous night. She calls ticketing/ reservations and we are on the phone for 35 minutes, previous transaction was not successful. They are repeatedly stating that they can only accept US credit cards. I am then told that they accept all credit cards apart from HK cards as their is a issue in USD: HKD conversion. After another 15 minutes I get a message from my bank to state the transaction was successful, but took another 15 minutes to show up on UA systems. In total I was at Check-in for close to 1 hour (poor agent!).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: