Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

50 min o'hare connection using a wheelchair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 min o'hare connection using a wheelchair

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Very helpful guys thanks so much.

My daughter can't walk any steps but the wheelchair we are taking is a small transport foldable one . We are renting a heavy duty one at our destination.

I'm hoping by speakkmg to the gate agent they csn work some magic and assist us anyway they can to maximize our chances of not missing the flight.

Thanks agian
Old May 2, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wowza55433
My daughter can't walk any steps but the wheelchair we are taking is a small transport foldable one.
What are its dimensions when folded? Also, either (a) what day is your flight or (b) what plane type is currently scheduled for use on the DTW-ORD route? They will often use different aircraft on different days, and it may make a big difference.

The DTW-ORD flight is on a regional jet, which tend to have limited overhead space. The Embraer 175 can fit standard roll-aboard suitcases, so if you're on that aircraft, and the wheelchair is no bigger than that (22x14x9), it will fit in the overhead. If the wheelchair is larger than that, or if you're on a different plane on that particular day, you may find that there's no place to put it..

I'm hoping by speakkmg to the gate agent they csn work some magic and assist us anyway they can to maximize our chances of not missing the flight.
What are you hoping that the gate agent can do?
Old May 2, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Our flight is this upcoming Tuesday. I'm not sure what I expect the gate agent to do but I have no experience in this so any tips or advice they have will help. I'm going to call united and inform them of my concern to see if they can provide any guidance

Thanks again
Old May 2, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
You connection time should work out most of the time. I'd guess 70%-80% of the time.

The wheelchair will be gate-checked and brought back to you in the jet bridge at ORD. The E175 has larger overhead bins than many other regional aircraft so fewer passenger bags are gate checked. This means that the bags that are gate checked are usually returned to you fairly quickly. I've never seen a foldable wheelchair that would fit in the overhead bins, but that doesn't mean that yours won't. The E175 does not have a closet big enough to stow a wheelchair on board.

If I were in your position I would evaluate the consequences of a missed connection. Look at the backup schedule options on which you could be re-routed and consider the level of inconvenience those options would impose. You're starting early in the morning which gives you a lot of reroute options throughout the day including all the other LA-area airports. Compare that with other, less convenient, options that have longer connection times.

I routinely make much shorter connections at ORD, even many 'illegal' ones, but I'm alone and am not dealing with a wheelchair.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our flight is this upcoming Tuesday. I'm not sure what I expect the gate agent to do but I have no experience in this so any tips or advice they have will help. I'm going to call united and inform them of my concern to see if they can provide any guidance
UA5799 is operated by a E175 this coming Tuesday.

Rather than calling UA and asking for guidance, I'd call with a specific request. Take a look at the other options that are available for sale on Tuesday and see if any of them work better for you, and then ask if they'll move you to them.

In fact, I'd call the Accessibility Desk at 800-228-2744 and ask them if they can (a) move you to flights with a longer connection time and (b) seat you together. They generally keep a couple of seats blocked for customers with limited mobility.
LarryJ, Often1, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you ask for guidance you will be told that you can make it.

Agents are neither knowledgeable nor creative. They simply know how to tap on a keyboard. If you have a specific request, make the very specific request and include the new flight numbers. As noted, if you misconnect, you have an 8+ hour connection at ORD before the next nonstop and poor connecting options.

If you want to overnight at the ORD Hilton, ask for that rebooking (likely must be last DTW-ORD and first ORD-SNA due to fare rules). If you want to connect at DEN, ask for that.
jsloan and LarryJ like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
For what it is worth , I had a 40 min connection last Sunday ( which I would never usually do) , we were held on the ground prior to take off for 10 mins for traffic flow into ORD on a bright sunny day
then landed in what felt like Milwaukee given the length of the taxi to gate. I arrived at gate 2 mins before boarding closed.
Thankfully GS did their thing and ran me the 12 gates between planes.
Assuming at deplaning a wheel chair wait is 10 minutes plus , I would find a timing that gave a couple of hours if I could
Old May 2, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I just called and they moved us all up to row 7 the economy class 1st row so we will be leaving the plan first hopefully. This should help in hoping. They also mentioned that the wheelchair should be ready when we deplane ... My hope is that we are in Jr same terminal as they mentioned that they won't know until 24 before so I'll check on Monday. My nieve hope is that if it's the same terminal and the chair is ready when we deplane then we should melt it... Fingers crossed lol
Old May 2, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
For what it is worth , I had a 40 min connection last Sunday ( which I would never usually do) , we were held on the ground prior to take off for 10 mins for traffic flow into ORD on a bright sunny day
then landed in what felt like Milwaukee given the length of the taxi to gate. I arrived at gate 2 mins before boarding closed.
Thankfully GS did their thing and ran me the 12 gates between planes.
Assuming at deplaning a wheel chair wait is 10 minutes plus , I would find a timing that gave a couple of hours if I could
Yes. The runways that are in Wisconsin are the wild card - they can add well over half an hour to the taxi time.
iluv2fly, wrp96 and findark like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm trying to imagine where a wheelchair would fit in the passenger cabin on an E175 and I'm drawing a blank. I have to imagine that the agent meant "you can gate-check it and it will be available in Chicago," not "you can carry it onto the aircraft."
seems pretty obvious that OP means the wheelchairs will be gate checked. There is no express plane that will allow a wheelchair in cabin. And probably not many mainline.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:12 am

I just called and they moved us all up to row 7 the economy class 1st row so we will be leaving the plan first hopefully. This should help in hoping. They also mentioned that the wheelchair should be ready when we deplane ... My hope is that we are in Jr same terminal as they mentioned that they won't know until 24 before so I'll check on Monday. My nieve hope is that if it's the same terminal and the chair is ready when we deplane then we should melt it... Fingers crossed lol
Do not assume you will get off the plane first if you need an aisle chair, and do not assume the wheelchair will be ready right away. It might happen that way, it might not.

But look: whether you're chance of making it is 60% or 99%, the most important thing imo is to make sure you're prepared if you don't. Know what backup flights will work for you and which ones won't. Bring a book, some work to do, TV shows loaded up on an iPad with headphones, whatever. Plus extra batteries and chargers for your phones, a budget for a nice leisurely lunch, maybe plan to spend $50 for access to a lounge, consider taking a day trip into the city. Be ready to contact the hotel or friends/family you're staying with in CA to let them know you're delayed.

I understand this may be hard with a wheelchair, but explore the airport a bit -- there are areas inbetween T1 and T2 and then between T2 and T3 that are much more pleasant to spend a few hours sitting than a crowded gate -- more comfortable chairs, nice views, etc.

Missing a connection and waiting for the next one is mainly an exercise in killing time. Nothing is worse than sitting on the floor in a crowded gate area with no cell phone power bored to tears and hungry.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:21 am

I hope you make your connection. It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't try it with a wheelchair, and I have a fairly good tolerance for tight connections. Despite what you were told, I'd be surprised if the wheelchair is ready when you deplane. Expect a 5 to 10 minute wait, depending on the ground crew. If your daughter can't stand, you'll likely have to wait onboard until everyone else is off before you get off. Don't expect any useful help from the gate agents or flight attendants -- you will be on your own. It will come down to the gates used and exactly what time in inbound flight gets to its gate.

Again, you might make it, but given that you'll be stuck at ORD for 8 hours if you don't, I would try to change to different flights with a longer connection time.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I hope you make your connection. It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't try it with a wheelchair, and I have a fairly good tolerance for tight connections. Despite what you were told, I'd be surprised if the wheelchair is ready when you deplane. Expect a 5 to 10 minute wait, depending on the ground crew. If your daughter can't stand, you'll likely have to wait onboard until everyone else is off before you get off. Don't expect any useful help from the gate agents or flight attendants -- you will be on your own. It will come down to the gates used and exactly what time in inbound flight gets to its gate.

Again, you might make it, but given that you'll be stuck at ORD for 8 hours if you don't, I would try to change to different flights with a longer connection time.
In general, UA has gotten much better about having wheel chairs waiting. When I deplane from F there is almost always a number of wheelchairs waiting on the ramp with ipads displaying the names of the expected passengers.

If you misconnect, I'd try to get rebooked only a flight to one of the other close airports instead of cooling your heels for 8 hours at ORD.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Having had yourself moved to the best seats possible, it is now worth a call asking if UA will rebook via DEN or into ORD the night before. It is a slow call-by-call process and worth the effort. This is particularly the case if your daughter requires a wheelchair (aisle chair) to get off the aircraft. She may be in the first row of economy, but UA will offload the other passengers first if they need to block the aisle with a chair for her.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you talking with United's Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744
Customers with disabilities

Having been moved into first class, there isn't much else that can be done without changing flights
-- would make sure where the specific wheelchair you have can be stored
-- also that you will be connecting with a jetway at ORD (which. I believe, is standard
-- normally passengers with disabilities debark last, so this needs to be discussed with the crew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.